Game Mechanics you like in IE games the you would like to carry over

Regarding exploring, I wrote about that here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61728-exploring-in-project-eternity/

The other feature that I would want is, like in Baldur's Gate 2, if you have main story co-op, the ability to handle the players leaving areas individually to do things instead of having to go everywhere so you can zone together. In BG2, this wasn't totally free. You couldn't leave a major map area without the party, but within that area (say the shop area of the city), you could go in and out of buildings and interact with characters without the other player having to see it.

2-There was no minimap in the IE games. There was a full screen interactive map.

A semantic error on my part. I was referring to the full screen map where you can see your party move, and click through to locations. I love this feature.

• Like 1

2-There was no minimap in the IE games. There was a full screen interactive map.

A semantic error on my part. I was referring to the full screen map where you can see your party move, and click through to locations. I love this feature.

That was indeed very good.

Also, the ability to set waypoints and not simply set the final destination really helped with the limited pathfinding.

Magic Users having to find scrolls to inscribe them into their spell-book in order to know new spells, instead of just suddenly and magically "knowing" new spells on level up.

Agreed, i realise you can likely handwave this by making your soul "remember old spells" but theres some fun to be had in hunting down spell scrolls.

Also, the ability to set waypoints and not simply set the final destination really helped with the limited pathfinding.

What!? WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME THIS A DECADE AGO?

What!? WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME THIS A DECADE AGO?

You had to keep shift pressed if I remember correctly...

Well, if you notched the pathnodes up way high (not a problem with a more modern PC) I thought it was alright enough.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I think that minimap is no use for 3rd person isometrical view, which itself is minimap already.

It only for first person games.

pretty much every strategy game that gets made has a minimap and they are nearly identical to a cRPG in terms of camera angles and basic controls. A Dragon Age or NWN "radar" style minimap that is zoomed in close and shows a vision cone would be pointless. A full area minimap like you see in the Warcraft/Starcraft games or LoL/DotA would be great.

Edited by ogrezilla

I think that minimap is no use for 3rd person isometrical view, which itself is minimap already.

It only for first person games.

pretty much every strategy game that gets made has a minimap and they are nearly identical to a cRPG in terms of camera angles and basic controls. A Dragon Age or NWN "radar" style minimap that is zoomed in close and shows a vision cone would be pointless. A full area minimap like you see in the Warcraft/Starcraft games or LoL/DotA would be great.

Strategy games is based on fast map strategy decisions so full area minimap is needed.

In roleplaying isometric games you play role, and solve tactical challenges. So tactical minimap is needed, but when you already see all your surroundings on screen, tactical minimap is just occupies place in interface. And you can use strategical full area minimap in such RPGs, with fog of war where you cant see, just only to move around and make notes for moving around, and you don't often move around all map. So to hide such one purpose full area map in 2nd lvl of interface or backpack is good decision. And also helps to play role of not having some floating area map in front of your party eyes, but taking it out of the backpack to make some big travel decision or to make notes.

Edited by void_dp

And also helps to play role of not having some floating area map in front of your party eyes, but taking it out of the backpack to make some big travel decision or to make notes.

I never thought of it that way, yeah it is kind of like you are taking it out of your backpack/scrollcase and looking at a map. I agree on the rest of your points as well, generally you keep your party close together, so a minimap is less useful in an IE game context.

As an aside, It had been some time since I'd played any of the NWN2 games and I don't remember fighting with the controls this much ...

I never undestood all those complaints about NWN2's camera. All it took was some adjusting in the options.

iirc, I used strategy mode, unlocked the camera from being fixed on my character, made sure the camera didn't rotate when moving the cursor to the edge of the screen, and set the scrollerwheel (when pressed) to rotate and change the angle (which went nicely with scrolling for zooming).

The camera was pretty bad in NWN2 originally, it was improved after a few patches.

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

Strategy games is based on fast map strategy decisions so full area minimap is needed.

In roleplaying isometric games you play role, and solve tactical challenges. So tactical minimap is needed, but when you already see all your surroundings on screen, tactical minimap is just occupies place in interface. And you can use strategical full area minimap in such RPGs, with fog of war where you cant see, just only to move around and make notes for moving around, and you don't often move around all map. So to hide such one purpose full area map in 2nd lvl of interface or backpack is good decision. And also helps to play role of not having some floating area map in front of your party eyes, but taking it out of the backpack to make some big travel decision or to make notes.

Its not needed, but it would be a nice convenience. I hate backtracking in any of the old IE games. You either have to go into the menu or drag the screen to where you want to go. I'm playing IWD right now and I constantly wish I had minimap controls; particularly when I am walking back through areas I've already cleared.

Yeah I think most people prefer the Infinity Engine style large map for an RPG of this sort.

I'd like both a full map in the menus and a small, control integrated version of it as a minimap. Let us toggle the minimap on/off and everyone's happy.

Edited by ogrezilla

What I'd really like is the ability to have a the map screen open on a second monitor at all times. Actually, thinking about it I'd like all of those screens - inventory, character record, etc - to be able to open on the second monitor so I can leave them open and still play the game, but the map especially.

• Like 1

Yeah I think most people prefer the Infinity Engine style large map for an RPG of this sort.

I'd prefer the full map to be either in hand-drawn style, or simply for it to be the highest zoom level without switching to a different screen. And I want to be able to annotate the map.