4 Mil Stretch Goal Hit, Hire Malukah?

Can you give me a good example of where Violin Dubstep would be placed within the game...

Parties, certain fights depending on pacing, cut-scenes with more up-beat story bits. PE should be a fully fleshed living world with just as many up-beat bits as doom and gloom bits. Walk into a tavern and the atmosphere should reflect it. Why not even have some quests(optional) where you help children go about their happy play instead of just slaying monsters at every corner?

Edited by Darth Trethon

1zq6793.jpg

Can you give me a good example of where Violin Dubstep would be placed within the game...

Parties, certain fights depending on pacing, cut-scenes with more up-beat story bits. PE should be a fully fleshed living world with just as many up-beat bits as doom and gloom bits. Walk into a tavern and the atmosphere should reflect it.

So where do we fit in the Country, Hard Rock, Alt Rock, Techno, Screamo, Death Metal, Metal, Power Metal, etc?

There's a certain expectation with the type of music that will be included in a game of this type, it may be, "safe", but that doesn't mean it can't be good. Very few people find the traditional music usually included in these games, "offensive, just noise, migraine inducing, etc". It should stay that way.

Again, if you want specific music you can always play yours in the background and mute the in-game music, or there will potentially be mods.

Edited by HereticSaint
  • Like 1

Parties, certain fights depending on pacing, cut-scenes with more up-beat story bits. PE should be a fully fleshed living world with just as many up-beat bits as doom and gloom bits. Walk into a tavern and the atmosphere should reflect it.

So where do we fit in the Country, Hard Rock, Alt Rock, Techno, Screamo, Death Metal, Metal, Power Metal, etc?

I won't start listing but there are places for all of them too.....and why not? Bring it on Obsidian....it's party time... :dancing:

1zq6793.jpg

I won't start listing but there are places for all of them too.....and why not? Bring it on Obsidian....it's party time... :dancing:

Edited post addresses why not. It would hurt their sales for a very poor reason.

in fact I can pretty much guarantee you if you had real trance, dubstep or death metal in the game and it wasn't a toggle (which takes too much in the resource department) that the game would flop despite what Kickstarter has already given it.

There's a certain expectation with the type of music that will be included in a game of this type, it may be, "safe", but that doesn't mean it can't be good. Very few people find the traditional music usually included in these games, "offensive, just noise, migraine inducing, etc". It should stay that way.

Again, if you want specific music you can always play yours in the background and mute the in-game music, or there will potentially be mods.

Expectations? By whom? It's near impossible to find two people with matching expectations. Not to mention that the newer generations(which have to be accounted for, like it or not...plenty donated because they were more familiar with Obsidian's newer games..FONV, AP and so on) are almost nothing like the old that grew up playing IE games.

1zq6793.jpg

Expectations? By whom? It's near impossible to find two people with matching expectations. Not to mention that the newer generations(which have to be accounted for, like it or not...plenty donated because they were more familiar with Obsidian's newer games..FONV, AP and so on) are almost nothing like the old that grew up playing IE games.

It's a lot simpler, safer, easier and likely cheaper to just put in a bunch of music like:

I want this game to be succesful and having music like that doesn't compromise the intergrity of the game for success. Having Country, Death Metal, etc would.

An here's a Dragonborn Comes cover from a true bard, taking artistic freedom with melody interpretation, adding new verses, needs no overdone reverb effects to make her voice interesting, and instead of showing up in person to promote her pretty face, takes the time to make an ingame video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpcXr5LtsYA&feature=related

My point? There are many talented musicians out there, and the most famous aren't always the best.

Sitll, I'm certain Obsidian has contacts to talented people that can actually compose new music.

• Like 1

"You are going to have to learn to think before you act, but never to regret your decisions, right or wrong. Otherwise, you will slowly begin to not make decisions at all."

Jogs post above illustrates my earlier point about the english lyrics... It was enjoyable through all the bits that this lady was not singing. And I'm not saying that her singing is bad. It certainly is way better than Mallukah. Instrumental music works to enhace our own perception of the world in our imaginations but when you add in lyrics it immediately becomes a spesific story. It cages the imagination to a predefined path and mostly breaks immersion for me. Lyrics that one cannot understand are a different deal. They cannot cage the imagination as such because words that you dont understand are just undefined sounds like an instrument.

I am also wondering wether Darth Trethon has any idea what musical cohesion and atmosphere in a work of art, such as this game, means... Every genre of music ofcourse can have it's place, but you cannot just suddenly drop a completely different style of music (dubstep in this case) in the mix without it feeling out of place. (AND we know from the pieces already provided, that this games soundtrack is not going to be dubstep.)

Lindsey doesn't need to do gaming covers to be awesome. Most of her stuff isn't gaming covers actually. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf6LD2B_kDQ

That's a very wet gorgeous woman who knows how to play violin really well while moving all over the place (yes, I've seen her do it live in front of a crowd).

You're argument is invalid. :-P

you posted a flippin' DUBSTEP video. Your argument is invalid.

Now here's a girl off of Youtube! I think she could pull it off for Eternity!

justin-bieber-m.jpg

At least we agree that woman you cited would be good for P:E ;-P

That said, my original argument is EXTRA valid, because Lindsey made DUBSTEP look awesome. That takes talent my friend.

erhmm...

I do not even know where to start...

Do you really think that a celebrity can do better than a pro-orchestra musician?

Well, maybe you want people like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPrQndK-h2g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stGtcuojkx4&feature=related

TBH, Youtube is ok, but I have yet to see something, THAT IS NOT a cover of already a grand track, and what would blow my mind off...

Also, celebrities tend to take a more money than their work is worth, just because they ARE... Among the celebrities there are not many that actually earned their recognition by talent, most do by looks/shoehorning by publisher, and coupled with some skill...

Well keep in mind that Malukah is dealing with her own equipment and all on her own. How many artists can write, sing, edit, and produce their own track all on their own? I'm not saying that Malukah should be the front and center only singer on the team that never shuts up, but having her sing a few lines for a single track would be nice I feel.

Parties, certain fights depending on pacing, cut-scenes with more up-beat story bits. PE should be a fully fleshed living world with just as many up-beat bits as doom and gloom bits. Walk into a tavern and the atmosphere should reflect it. Why not even have some quests(optional) where you help children go about their happy play instead of just slaying monsters at every corner?

I in no way shape or form endorse dubstep for Project Eternity. I only showed that video as evidence for Lindsey being awesome without it being about gaming.

An here's a Dragonborn Comes cover from a true bard, taking artistic freedom with melody interpretation, adding new verses, needs no overdone reverb effects to make her voice interesting, and instead of showing up in person to promote her pretty face, takes the time to make an ingame video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpcXr5LtsYA&feature=related

My point? There are many talented musicians out there, and the most famous aren't always the best.

Sitll, I'm certain Obsidian has contacts to talented people that can actually compose new music.

I'll admit, I like her version too. I don't think that means Malukah is bad in any way.

I in no way shape or form endorse dubstep for Project Eternity. I only showed that video as evidence for Lindsey being awesome without it being about gaming.

Why not? I endorse creativity and risk taking....especially with awesome things. You can't go wrong when you have game masters like Obsidian mixing awesome with more awesome.

Don't be a pansy....take a risk for once in your life. It's good for the spirit. :getlost:

1zq6793.jpg

Basically what we're learning form this thread is that people have a strong aversion to everything that's popular. Nothing new here in the world of elitism.

That's because they are not so special. They are just good looking girls who covered some game music, which then made nerds go crazy about them. OMG GAMERRR GURRLLZZZ!! There are much more talented people out there who have something more to show for themselves than 100,000 YouTube subscribers.

Lindsey doesn't need to do gaming covers to be awesome. Most of her stuff isn't gaming covers actually. For example:

That's a very wet gorgeous woman who knows how to play violin really well while moving all over the place (yes, I've seen her do it live in front of a crowd).

My problem with that video is that she isn't playing the violin in it. She is simply mimicking the motions. Plus, it's a bad idea to get violins wet.

Edited by HeedlessHorseman

Pfff... you guys are forgetting how creative the guys at Obsidian are (if I recall correctly the voices are actually done by Obsidian employees) ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL7i9yOZea8

Just leave the effin youtube one off celebrities out of this title... please... either go with pro-musicians/celebrities (like that Garret type) or leave them out of this project and let Obsidian use their creative assets

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 1

Just leave the effin youtube one off celebrities out of this title... please... either go with pro-musicians/celebrities (like that Garret type) or leave them out of this project and let Obsidian use their creative assets

Nothing wrong in people suggesting Youtube celebrities to hire for music. People are expressing their tastes, and the possible talent pool in Youtube is nothing to shake a stick at. It allows artists with lower than workable budgets to expose themselves to the world, in hopes of getting recognized.

While I'm not a fan, I can freely admit that Justin Bieber's Youtube efforts served him quite well.

Screw you Firedorn!

Never rub another man's rhubarb

Nothing wrong in people suggesting Youtube celebrities to hire for music. People are expressing their tastes, and the possible talent pool in Youtube is nothing to shake a stick at. It allows artists with lower than workable budgets to expose themselves to the world, in hopes of getting recognized.

While I'm not a fan, I can freely admit that Justin Bieber's Youtube efforts served him quite well.

Perhaps I should have phrased it a bit better.... "Just leave the effin youtube one off celebrities, who do not have their own record of creative music other than a simple cover" - In other words, there is a ton of musicians that can do exactly that, but there are very few, who can actually be creative and set their own pieces. If I can have the same quality, why would I be paying more for the same? I'd rather get some more anonymous, but equally if not more skilled musician than a youtube celebrity.

My opinion is that Justin Bell should compose music by himself and Obsidian should only hire live musician to play his compositions. And this means that Obsidian don't necessary need to hire creative artists, but ones that have enough talent to play music made by others (like those musicians who do song covers in youtube) . Singer/s is/are of course more difficult choice/s (if there is need for one or more) as s/he/they need great voice/s which fits with in PE's theme.

Celebirities and semi-celebrities are of course most easiest thing to people to suggest as other people in discussion know them and those who don't usually can easilly find some samples.

That's because they are not so special. They are just good looking girls who covered some game music, which then made nerds go crazy about them. OMG GAMERRR GURRLLZZZ!! There are much more talented people out there who have something more to show for themselves than 100,000 YouTube subscribers.

Yes she can move while playing, I'm sure, but she should invent some new moves from time to time. Seeing those same manners over and over again starts to get tiresome and makes me wish she actually stood still and just played for a change. She's just another YouTube artist I have got overdose of. That whole "happy ADHD-elf in woods" thing just annoys me nowdays.

EDIT: Oh, and moving doesn't help much on game soundtrack, does it?;)

DA:O promotion campaign? Now I honestly think you are just trolling here.

That was the most ridiculous fantasy-RPG trailer I had ever seen and I actually doubted after seeing that campaign if the game was for me after all. Marilyn Manson screaming THIS IS THE NEW S***! over that other trailer pushed the bar even lower. Those trailers made me wait for few days before buying just to get confirmation that neither of those artists performed on actual soundtrack.

Oh, the horrible memories. And I like 30 Seconds to Mars by the way.

I hope that didn't discourage you from playing DA:O. 2nd favorite game of all time.

Not at all after I read one review which specifically confirmed those artists have nothing to do with actual game or it's soundtrack. Reviewer obviously didn't like the promo campaign either. :p

Edited by Haerski

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

DA:O promotion campaign? Now I honestly think you are just trolling here.

That was the most ridiculous fantasy-RPG trailer I had ever seen and I actually doubted after seeing that campaign if the game was for me after all. Marilyn Manson screaming THIS IS THE NEW S***! over that other trailer pushed the bar even lower. Those trailers made me wait for few days before buying just to get confirmation that neither of those artists performed on actual soundtrack.

Oh, the horrible memories. And I like 30 Seconds to Mars by the way.

I hope that didn't discourage you from playing DA:O. 2nd favorite game of all time.

Not at all after I read one review which specifically confirmed those artists have nothing to do with actual game or it's soundtrack. Reviewer obviously didn't like the promo campaign either. :p

Many people felt this way. I remember an 80 page thread on Bioware's forums after the Marilyn Manson trailer was released. Basically all of which was people who didn't want his music in the game.

Edited by HeedlessHorseman

Basically what we're learning form this thread is that people have a strong aversion to everything that's popular. Nothing new here in the world of elitism.

My problem with that video is that she isn't playing the violin in it. She is simply mimicking the motions. Plus, it's a bad idea to get violins wet.

She is playing the violin, and also matching it to her movements on the screen. That's exactly what they do in music videos, the lyrics you hear in them aren't being sung in the moment you are watching on screen, they're just mouthing the words while in another recording they sing it.

And she used her backup violin for the water scene.

They should hire this guy. He's wonderful but somewhat hard to obtain. Listen to him though, he's perfect!

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."