4 Mil Stretch Goal Hit, Hire Malukah?

Basically what we're learning form this thread is that people have a strong aversion to everything that's popular. Nothing new here in the world of elitism.

That's because they are not so special. They are just good looking girls who covered some game music, which then made nerds go crazy about them. OMG GAMERRR GURRLLZZZ!! There are much more talented people out there who have something more to show for themselves than 100,000 YouTube subscribers.

Be that as it may. That was not my argument. Same thing would be said no matter which "famous" person would be put forward here. It's enough to read the arguments people have against any of these.

I personally don't have a preference either way. I trust the creators to choose what works best. These girls can (will) still continue to make covers and promote the game that way, because that's what they love to do and a lot of people enjoy it.

Basically what we're learning form this thread is that people have a strong aversion to everything that's popular. Nothing new here in the world of elitism.

That's because they are not so special. They are just good looking girls who covered some game music, which then made nerds go crazy about them. OMG GAMERRR GURRLLZZZ!! There are much more talented people out there who have something more to show for themselves than 100,000 YouTube subscribers.

Be that as it may. That was not my argument. Same thing would be said no matter which "famous" person would be put forward here. It's enough to read the arguments people have against any of these.

I personally don't have a preference either way. I trust the creators to choose what works best. These girls can (will) still continue to make covers and promote the game that way, because that's what they love to do and a lot of people enjoy it.

Actually that's partly right. Choosing too famous person to sing some song in game would take attention out of actual content. In game or film music has to be in background and be brought forward only in special occasions like I mentioned in my first post. Music has to serve game/film, not other way around.

I'm not against hiring famous people if they just don't make it one of their selling points. They should be chosen for their talent, not the fame, which excludes Malukah and Stirling right away. Stirling is ok, but there are probably tons of ugly middle aged men who do the same job much better for half the price.;)

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

Actually that's partly right. Choosing too famous person to sing some song in game would take attention out of actual content. In game or film music has to be in background and be brought forward only in special occasions like I mentioned in my first post. Music has to serve game/film, not other way around.

I'm not against hiring famous people if they just don't make it one of their selling points. They should be chosen for their talent, not the fame, which excludes Malukah and Stirling right away. Stirling is ok, but there are probably tons of ugly middle aged men who do the same job much better for half the price. ;)

For some reason you think these people charge (insane) amounts of money. I'd argue they'd be the cheap option. I want to stress that under no circumstances would I advocate for them to actually write the music.

Also we're not just talking about the soundtrack here. You will have a hard time convincing me that 30 Seconds To Mars connection with the trailer/promotion for DA:O detracted from the game. I doubt they are the cheapest and most talented option... but I think it worked great. (cue a million posts of 30STM haters missing the point)

Oh dammit don't bring Lindsey into this, I can only deal with so much sexy at one time. Yes, she's great, but what makes her great is her look, her editing, and her dancing in combination with her violin. Other than publicity I don't see what she'd bring . . unless they pulled a Felcia Day and modeled a game character after her . . . then my girlfriend may have to break up with me.

Agreed here - I love seeing people look HAPPY playing violin...and her videos are just great. Kinda reminds me of the same attitude that Vanessa Mae has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ798THmR5Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNc278W45ck

Edit: eh, won't let me post the third link, should be able to find "Red Hot" from either of the above two though

Edited by RaccoonTOF

"If we are alone in the universe, it sure seems like an awful waste of space"

There's absolutely no reason for Obsidian to use some Youtube celebrity over anyone else. They are not better than, say, most students at some higher tier music school.

• Like 1

Actually, I've seen a few (not nearly as many as typically hyped, but a few) "youtube celebrities" that are indeed (to me at least) significantly more talented than "most students" and even than "most professionals". The trick is sorting out the truly talented ones from the HUGE wash of mediocre or downright lousy ones...

"If we are alone in the universe, it sure seems like an awful waste of space"

For some reason you think these people charge (insane) amounts of money. I'd argue they'd be the cheap option.

And the funny thing is I don't think so. They would probably do it pretty cheap to get yet more subscribers, but probably still more than some real professionals if they decide to order whole score from same group.

I want to stress that under no circumstances would I advocate for them to actually write the music.

Also we're not just talking about the soundtrack here. You will have a hard time convincing me that 30 Seconds To Mars connection with the trailer/promotion for DA:O detracted from the game. I doubt they are the cheapest and most talented option... but I think it worked great. (cue a million posts of 30STM haters missing the point)

DA:O promotion campaign? Now I honestly think you are just trolling here.

That was the most ridiculous fantasy-RPG trailer I had ever seen and I actually doubted after seeing that campaign if the game was for me after all. Marilyn Manson screaming THIS IS THE NEW S***! over that other trailer pushed the bar even lower. Those trailers made me wait for few days before buying just to get confirmation that neither of those artists performed on actual soundtrack.

Oh, the horrible memories. And I like 30 Seconds to Mars by the way.

Edited by Haerski

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

DA:O promotion campaign? Now I honestly think you are just trolling here.

That was the most ridiculous fantasy-RPG trailer I had ever seen and I actually doubted after seeing that campaign if the game was for me after all. Marilyn Manson screaming THIS IS THE NEW S***! over that other trailer pushed the bar even lower. Those trailers made me wait for few days before buying just to get confirmation that neither of those artists performed on actual soundtrack.

Oh, the horrible memories. And I like 30 Seconds to Mars by the way.

Nope, not good enough. I personally know several people who took notice because of the campaign. One of them was disappointed as he was hoping for an action RPG. The others enjoyed it immensely. That's on top of the people who knew about the game before and were anxiously awaiting it. Not one of them had a bad thing to say.

And now what? Should I say that you must be trolling? Why do so many people feel they possess the measuring stick for awesomeness and can't accept that there's a different perception out there that is just as valid.

Edited by Frankenfruity
  • Like 1

No.

If the fundamental premise of Project Eternity required a Kickstarter in the first place instead of AAA published backing, then that means this is niche and maybe many of us have no interest in what's "popular" as it pertains to the original scope. I'm sure part of the aversion (besides the whole "lol Youtube" thing) stems from the fact that many here do not want more people who prefer a different game genre to come in and ask for sandbox play with 3D rotating camera and cinematics; it's bad enough that a number do that already. Skyrim players are not the primary target audience. Would it be nice of new players from other genres discover PE and like it? Yes, but on the merits of the gameplay itself and not a Youtube hit of the moment.

And back to my "too many HIRE THIS PERSON" point--music is 100% subjective. Unlike any other inclusion in a game world I can think of, you cannot reduce music to a numerical content argument (whereas it's possible with another subjective topic like romances). Music must fit the lore and granular setting, and no one but Obsidian knows how that will work, so claiming one's 100% subjective tastes will fit comes off as childish.

I mean, I enjoy Muzsikás, Hedningarna, and Luka Šulić & Stjepan Hauser, but it's not my business to tell Obsidian or try to convince anyone else that they would definitely "improve"* Project Eternity.

* Although the last two totally would because cello >>>>> everything.

• Like 5

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Nope, not good enough. I personally know several people who took notice because of the campaign. One of them was disappointed as he was hoping for an action RPG. The others enjoyed it immensely. That's on top of the people who knew about the game before and were anxiously awaiting it. Not one of them had a bad thing to say.

And now what? Should I say that you must be trolling? Why do so many people feel they possess the measuring stick for awesomeness and can't accept that there's a different perception out there that is just as valid.

That. Lot of people just looked at the trailers and thought: "Blood, gore and heavy metal. Well, I think this is game for me!" and guess what? Lots of people got disappointed. I know several and in internet I have seen lot more. It's not matter of opinion that the campaign was misleading and stupid.

If you are looking into this just from the sales perspective then you have valid point, but otherwise...

PS. Yes I own measuring stick for awesomeness. Your argument is invalid.

Edited by Haerski

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

No.

If the fundamental premise of Project Eternity required a Kickstarter in the first place instead of AAA published backing, then that means this is niche and maybe many of us have no interest in what's "popular" as it pertains to the original scope. I'm sure part of the aversion (besides the whole "lol Youtube" thing) stems from the fact that many here do not want more people who prefer a different game genre to come in and ask for sandbox play with 3D rotating camera and cinematics; it's bad enough that a number do that already. Skyrim players are not the primary target audience. Would it be nice of new players from other genres discover PE and like it? Yes, but on the merits of the gameplay itself and not a Youtube hit of the moment.

And back to my "too many HIRE THIS PERSON" point--music is 100% subjective. Unlike any other inclusion in a game world I can think of, you cannot reduce music to a numerical content argument (whereas it's possible with another subjective topic like romances). Music must fit the lore and granular setting, and no one but Obsidian knows how that will work, so claiming one's 100% subjective tastes will fit comes off as childish.

I mean, I enjoy Muzsikás, Hedningarna, and Luka Šulić & Stjepan Hauser, but it's not my business to tell Obsidian or try to convince anyone else that they would definitely "improve"* Project Eternity.

* Although the last two totally would because cello >>>>> everything.

You do realize that you were just confirming my post, right?

Also I'm surprised how after all this you can give such little credit to Obsidian that any such ludicrous suggestions would make any difference whatsoever to how the game would turn out. The look and feel of this game is set pretty much in stone, because after all, this is what this project was about. Besides at the time any such promo would go out the game would be way too gone to change.

I'm sure Malukah is a fine vocalist, but honestly I'm hoping for a more subdued score, sans vocals and mostly atmospherics and ambient music.

Like something like this?

http://soundcloud.co...ukah/02-heights

This don't mean that I want or don't want Malukah to this project.

That sounds like something taken from a "Ultimate relaxation for kidz" cd. All it's missing is a pan flute or two.
  • Like 1

That is funny, because what I have learned from this very same topic is that many people have a very strong aversion to bad music sung atrociously.

That is funny, because what I have learned from this very same topic is that many people have a very strong aversion to bad music sung atrociously.

It's not really funny. It's nothing new that each person perceives things in their own way.

Whenever I see overproduced, vanilla, soulless and trite music as posted in this thread I am sad that not more people have discovered the music goldmine 'ronja rovadotter' : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8R7Qy0qGtE&feature=related

The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise. -- Edsger Dijkstra

Whenever I see overproduced, vanilla, soulless and trite music as posted in this thread I am sad that not more people have discovered the music goldmine 'ronja rovadotter' : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8R7Qy0qGtE&feature=related

Best childhood fantasy movie ever. Astrid Lindgren was a fantastic writer (of books, don't know who wrote the music.)

Good luck getting the original cast making music now though.

Edited by HansKrSG