Should be FIFTEEN levels in the mega dungeon, not 14 (response to update 27)

We started with 3 levels and added 1 due to 20k Facebook likes.

We had 77,667 backers according to the recent update. That amounts to 11 levels added after 50,000.

3 + 1 + 11 = 15

There should be 15 levels on the Mega Dungeon!

Edited by Marceror
  • Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Yeah, I’ve rechecked my math a couple of times just because it’s been a long day. 15 is the correct number. I guess Obsidian hit the drink pretty hard last night after all! :p

I’d also love to see the artwork for the final FIFTEEN dungeon levels!

I'm expecting that when a company like Obsidian makes an "endless path dungeon" it's because they have some brilliant ideas in store for how to build content for a mega dungeon. I sincerely doubt that it's going to be 15 levels of increasingly powerful undead. There will likely be levels with no combat at all, puzzles, and just generally a lot of different kinds of things going on. I hope I'm right. Obsidian is still trying to push to get another level from Facebook, so they don't seem intimidated by the scope of the dungeon.

15 is a nice round number. I'm more than happy with that. :)

I'm expecting that when a company like Obsidian makes an "endless path dungeon" it's because they have some brilliant ideas in store for how to build content for a mega dungeon. I sincerely doubt that it's going to be 15 levels of increasingly powerful undead. There will likely be levels with no combat at all, puzzles, and just generally a lot of different kinds of things going on. I hope I'm right. Obsidian is still trying to push to get another level from Facebook, so they don't seem intimidated by the scope of the dungeon.

Yeah I am thinking of the dungeons in the IWD series. Or Durlag's Tower. You know just much bigger.

Thank god.

I have this weird thing with numbers, and having something be 14 floors makes me cringe. 15 is a perfect number! :yes:

16 would be 'rounder' :p (1/2/4/8/16)

No traditional wizard worth his pointy hat could possibly work by the light of pure, smooth, dare one say virgin undribbled candles. It would just not look right. The ambience would be totally shattered. And when it did happen, the luckless wizard would mess about, as people do, with matchsticks and bent paperclips, to try to get nice little dribbles and channels of wax, as nature intended. However, this sort of thing never really works and invariably ends with wax all over the carpet and the wizard setting himself on fire. Candle dribbling, it has been decreed, is a job for a dribbler. – Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals.

Well Chunkyman, I'm happy we could satisfy your numerical quirks and bring you a nice, round 15. I was okay with 14, but 7, 11 or 13 would have messed with me in a similar way. I can never have the volume on my tv, pc, etc. on a prime number other than 1. It just feels somehow out of balance to me.

Obsidian really painted themselves into a corner with some of this stuff. I just dunno how they can pull a side dungeon this huge, two cities, exploratory zones like BG1 (I remember I heard that somewhere), 11 classes, 8 companions, multiple factions, normal and idiot dialogue, interesting yet untested combat mechanics, a brand new custom system/world/lore, crafting, mod support and...I just don't remember, its so much. They do have some rockstars on this but, man...

I mean, jeez, I know they got 4.1 million but they will need to have a huge team on this. I forsee a separate mini-team just for that nutty dungeon. I would argue this is like 2.5 games in 1. The dungeon is basically IWD (without the xpacs) and the rest of the game is a bigger BG2/Tormet/Whatever Hybrid.

Obsidian really painted themselves into a corner with some of this stuff. I just dunno how they can pull a side dungeon this huge, two cities, exploratory zones like BG1 (I remember I heard that somewhere), 11 classes, 8 companions, multiple factions, normal and idiot dialogue, interesting yet untested combat mechanics, a brand new custom system/world/lore, crafting, mod support and...I just don't remember, its so much. They do have some rockstars on this but, man...

I mean, jeez, I know they got 4.1 million but they will need to have a huge team on this. I forsee a separate mini-team just for that nutty dungeon. I would argue this is like 2.5 games in 1. The dungeon is basically IWD (without the xpacs) and the rest of the game is a bigger BG2/Tormet/Whatever Hybrid.

Well Shevek, many of these guys have created massive Isometric CRPGs in the past, that would be considered 2.5 games by today's standards. So Obsidian has not only rockstars, but rockstars who have been there before. I don't think they would commit to this much if they hadn't really thought it through. On the other hand, I fully expect that the release date will get pushed back beyond April 2014. This will most likely end up being a Winter 2014 release, which I'm okay with. I want a solid game later, rather than a buggy, unpolished game sooner.

I also think it was no mistake that they offered no additional "content based" stretch goal after 3.5 million. They are counting the cost, and will likely spend a big chunk of the final 600,000+ on QA/testing resources.

God I hope you're correct, because the alternative would be absolutely ****house.

God I hope you're correct, because the alternative would be absolutely ****house.

I'm always correct... except for all those times when I'm wrong.

But seriously, I know what you mean. I have been playing this game from the Czech republic called Inquisitor. It's a really nice CRPG in a lot of ways, but sometimes the long dungeons in that game make me want to drill a hole in my head. It's just more of the same on a lower level, ad infinitum, ad nauseum. I fully expect Obsidian to give us something amazing, however. I don't believe there's anyone better suited to do it than the guys at the helm of this project.