14 Dungeon Levels HOT! But....

I think that 14 dungeon levels are amazing.

I think that if you have them all in a single dungeon that is going to run the risk of becoming the game (it wasn't the endless dungeons that made Nameless so epic). Or if not becoming the game, then becoming monotinous(aka like Diablo). Perhaps splitting it up into several dungeons would be more engaging.

I think that 14 dungeon levels are amazing.

I think that if you have them all in a single dungeon that is going to run the risk of becoming the game (it wasn't the endless dungeons that made Nameless so epic). Or if not becoming the game, then becoming monotinous(aka like Diablo). Perhaps splitting it up into several dungeons would be more engaging.

A game within a game? I like it!

Why would splitting it into 2 dungeons be better? I like the idea of something big that I can work on a little bit, then play more of the main story, level up, and then come back and work on it a bit more.

I think they said it was optional, but I could definitely be mistaken about that. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it becoming the whole game. It was a stretch goal, after all. They have more funding than they need to make the entire game three times over, I think there will be plenty of non-dungeon stuff. Two major cities, for one thing!

• Like 1

I think if the mega 14 level dungeon was part of a side-quest, then that would be OK. 14 levels would be rather long, but if there are way points/warps/teleport stones to get in and out quickly then it would be OK. If you get tired of dungeon crawling for a bit, you could warp out, and then come back where you left off later.

There has to be something to draw you there, and something to keep you going. If they are going with the Quest for XP instead of Kill for XP (which I prefer), then you would really need a reason to keep going besides loot and gore. But assuming that each level would take an hour to get through, then that would be 14 hours worth of content just for that dungeon. Like Brannart said, a game within a game. And I am all for that.

Another option would be to have certain levels that you can't access until your character reaches a certain level. Certain spells or skill levels to unlock the doors/puzzles, etc. Then as you level up, you would be curious to see what lies on the next levels of the dungeon.

We need at least one room full of skeletons at their PCs posting that they think the donjon is much too _____. :skull:

Seriously, are you that concerned about Obsidian messing up the game design?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I don't know what Obsidian has in mind for the Endless Paths, but based on the fanciful illustration, I'm imagining a huge dungeon where everything is rock hard and the floors have been designed by a human being and there's cool stuff at the bottom. Stuff like the giant statue spanning multiple floors, arcane architecture, and crystalline growths in the depths sort of allude to this. I doubt it's an accurate depiction, but if it indicates a design direction for the dungeon, I think it will be a standout feature of the game.

I also assume it will be an optional (post-game?) dungeon and definitely not part of the main story. Or at least, you won't be required to finish it in the main run, although you may be taken nearby or even to the first couple of floors. Usually dungeons of this magnitude aren't wasted on those who abandon the quest, but Obsidian may defy my expectations.