I agree that the devs should keep folks informed, but I also don't begrudge them taking some time to regroup and assess their situation after the whirlwind Kickstarter campaign. I'm sure they're already working on things and I think they'll be served pretty well by taking the past few days to come up with a plan not only for development but also how they plan on approaching the updates as a well-structured holistic part of the project.

Right not they are probably going over the financial's and putting out a formal budget. There is also the matter of any contracts that need to be done with the people and services that will be hired due to the high funding. I know people are wanting updates but if you've ever been on software projects the first few weeks are all meetings and posting updates that say "We had a budget meeting today followed up by some outline meetings, and we even had a meeting to schedule more meetings for tomorrow" will not make you all happy.

I do not expect any real product updates for a few months because until then most of the work will be base code and system coding with no real results for a while.

Just give them some time to get things going.

Hi,

So I have a question, just in case I misunderstood this: I added 30$ extra because I want the soundtrack CD and the deck of cards also. This should be specified in a form they sent out, right? Have any of you guys received this?

I'm not in a hurry or anything, just wanting to make sure. :)

Right not they are probably going over the financial's and putting out a formal budget. There is also the matter of any contracts that need to be done with the people and services that will be hired due to the high funding. I know people are wanting updates but if you've ever been on software projects the first few weeks are all meetings and posting updates that say "We had a budget meeting today followed up by some outline meetings, and we even had a meeting to schedule more meetings for tomorrow" will not make you all happy.

Meta-meetings are always a joy. :wacko:

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Hi,

So I have a question, just in case I misunderstood this: I added 30$ extra because I want the soundtrack CD and the deck of cards also. This should be specified in a form they sent out, right? Have any of you guys received this?

I'm not in a hurry or anything, just wanting to make sure. :)

The form that you need to fill out hasn't been sent out yet. They are probably consolidating the list of everyone that sent in through Kickstarter and Paypal, checking to make sure that they combine the ones that did both methods, those that sent in payments multiple times through Paypal, and waiting for Paypal donations to end. Then they will probably start sending out forms for you to fill out. Probably another week or two before people start seeing those forms.

I haven't read all the response here and on the Kickstarter, but I want to say one important thing:

A Steam game can be DRM free.

There's a list of such games on a GOG forum thread. These games can run without Steam being active. Some of them can be moved to another disk or PC by just copying the folder and would run correctly, even without Steam installed. That doesn't preclude Steam features, either. Some keep track of achievements and update them when the game connects to Steam.

I would love if Obsidian went that way. It's probably more work to implement things this way, but it would be the perfect combination of Steam and DRM free.

I just wanted to stress this. When Paradox started to use Steam as the primary distributor, there was a lot of discussions about it and how it would work.

Turned out they were right. You can use Steam exclusively as a distribution platform. It is possible to start the downloaded game by the exe file from the game directory without even launching Steam.

Of course, Steam features won't work if Steam isn't running. So, most people were all right with the move to Steam in the end.

I haven't read all the response here and on the Kickstarter, but I want to say one important thing:

There's a list of such games on a GOG forum thread. These games can run without Steam being active. Some of them can be moved to another disk or PC by just copying the folder and would run correctly, even without Steam installed. That doesn't preclude Steam features, either. Some keep track of achievements and update them when the game connects to Steam.

I would love if Obsidian went that way. It's probably more work to implement things this way, but it would be the perfect combination of Steam and DRM free.

I just wanted to stress this. When Paradox started to use Steam as the primary distributor, there was a lot of discussions about it and how it would work.

Turned out they were right. You can use Steam exclusively as a distribution platform. It is possible to start the downloaded game by the exe file from the game directory without even launching Steam.

Of course, Steam features won't work if Steam isn't running. So, most people were all right with the move to Steam in the end.

But you can't install to a new computer without logging in and authorizing your account. That's DRM.

Steam reserves the right to boot you from the service and/or remove the game from your account for whatever reason they come up with.

After that, when you need a new computer, the no-drm steam won't be any better than regular drm-steam.

Or do the let you download a standalone installer you don't need steam for? In that case I'm mistaken.

I use Steam and generally don't mind, but the "trust us, we're good about this" is still there. And not in a good way.

Wouldn't have felt the need to point this out again, unless...

So I "dontated" for the Retail Collectors Edition, through pay pal the other day. Can i still add $20,- extra for the Digital expantion pack? If so, any hints on how, because I don't really get is.

Got to the Project Eternity Website where you can use PayPal and choose the option "Donate your own amount". There you can donate those 20$ and leave Obsidian a small message. They will still ask you at a later date what you want to do with the additional money. When the survey comes just tell them that the additional money is for the expansion and you're good to go.

Edited by Shiroco
  • Like 1

But you can't install to a new computer without logging in and authorizing your account. That's DRM.

Steam reserves the right to boot you from the service and/or remove the game from your account for whatever reason they come up with.

After that, when you need a new computer, the no-drm steam won't be any better than regular drm-steam.

Or do the let you download a standalone installer you don't need steam for? In that case I'm mistaken.

I use Steam and generally don't mind, but the "trust us, we're good about this" is still there. And not in a good way.

What was being said is that you can copy the game's steam folder to a new location and it will run from the new location without any other installation required. So, no, you don't need to log into steam to run the game from a new computer, you just need to copy the folder.

So, about being like the old games... and what is next...

I hope you guys all play these games before you start emulating them, in some cases refresh the way Adam did. I don't recall exactly, but having watched much of the D&D session, Adam's playthrough, as well as the party, I heard snippets that some of you guys haven't played some of these games. Baldur's Gate II, etc., please play! Video them, too! Keep us updared in the news feed! Remember what it is you like -- what we like -- and not just what you want to BE like. I hope you guys know the stuff like the back of your hand, because veiled references and insights into the older properties, nothing damaging or worthy of suing, would mean a lot to us who played those games earlier, and for new people it may get them into the old games... nothing big, nothing that would confuse people, but just -- good memories!

You know?

Edited by Tyrheon

0a3f04d9b4ea34d044d697ae8f2f26d6a291b100.gif

"So what I’m saying, let it all hang out, babe, and don’t worry. We all got masks on."

Got to the Project Eternity Website where you can use PayPal and choose the option "Donate your own amount". There you can donate those 20$ and leave Obsidian a small message. They will still ask you at a later date what you want to do with the additional money. When the survey comes just tell them that the additional money is for the expansion and you're good to go.

tnx, I'll see to that

done

Edited by D'rez

I'm still impressed by the amount of money Project Eternity raised. It was a great effort by everyone involved. :)

So, we are supposed to receive an email from amazon on the 14 days after the project is funded? Because I haven't received it yet :S

I received an email from Amazon after they charged my account. If you're unsure about your situation, you should consider talking to Amazon/Kickstarter support.

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

Thanks ^^

But on Kickstarter it says that my money has been collected, that's a bit weird :s

My pledge has to appear like an order on my amazon account?

EDIT: It appears on my amazon payments page, then, it should be OK?

Edited by ivb_1973

Sorry, I don't want to make this thread a Steam/No-Steam debate. But what you describe is the very principle of digital distribution. Or is there a digital distribution service you don't need to register with?

If gog, for some reason, deletes your account, I assume you loose access to your games as well. I haven't read their terms recently, so I'm not exactly sure if it is actually possible to get thrown out of gog, but as a business I'm fairly certain they have a clause like that in their terms.

If you don't use "Steam DRM", Steam is nothing more than an elaborate download manager with some other features you can safely ignore. So, you're right, of course. The simple fact that you have to create an account can be considered a form of DRM, but I don't think you can have digital distribution without that very basic form of it.

It's one of the downsides compared to physical copies and I don't really like being dependent on the distributor even after purchase (e.g. for patching, if the devs don't produce standalone patches) either, but I haven't heard of a better solution, yet.