Here's an idea for the pre-order process:

I was at GoG and I was thinking Obsidian can release some free goodies to their backers when they are ready. Seeing that we have essentially pre-ordered, in the GoG model the goodies are available for download once you lock in your pre-order. I think that will be awesome if Obsidian does the same and puts up the concept art, the music and a developer journal all in a neat package on GoG. They can update the package over the development process.

But we've seen people in this thread who are committed, they're just temporarily lacking funds. So if they could commit now, with payment due in 3 months then everyone would get what they want.

I like this idea. I would gladly pledge $250 right away, if payment was due in 3 months.

FYI In Australia PayPal now offers "pay on delivery" option which means PayPal pay the supplier from it's funds and 21 days later withdraw the funds from your account. This could in effect give some people a little bit of "lag" between pledge and needing the funds. I can understand Odsidian perhaps not wanting to offer 3 month (90 days) "credit" although there isn't a product ready to ship yet so the exposure risk is low.

For those who do want this sort of pledge before the door closes and pay later when you have the funds have you considered popping Obsidian an email to ask?

• Like 1

For those who do want this sort of pledge before the door closes and pay later when you have the funds have you considered popping Obsidian an email to ask?

I emailed them yesterday but hadn't quite come up with something like that yet. Depending on their answer, I may mention this in my reply.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Except for the goodie bag, I think all of the higher physical tiers receive everything included in the previous tiers. That was my understanding.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I just hope they will gift-mark the packages when they ship them so people in countries like my own (Norway) dont have to pay the ridiculously high customs-prices. How will they separate the ce-box in terms of pricing from the digital goods? Will they just mark the whole package as 250$? Because that sh*t wont fly well with us Europeans. Send a package to norway worth more than 35$ and i have to pay an amount of 25% of what the product is worth pluss the crazy handling and paper-trail costs. They probably arent thinking of this right now, considering were still in pre-production, but this is pretty important for the guys outside the US, which most likely constitutes more than 60% of backers.

I just hope they will gift-mark the packages when they ship them so people in countries like my own (Norway) dont have to pay the ridiculously high customs-prices. How will they separate the ce-box in terms of pricing from the digital goods? Will they just mark the whole package as 250$? Because that sh*t wont fly well with us Europeans. Send a package to norway worth more than 35$ and i have to pay an amount of 25% of what the product is worth pluss the crazy handling and paper-trail costs. They probably arent thinking of this right now, considering were still in pre-production, but this is pretty important for the guys outside the US, which most likely constitutes more than 60% of backers.

I think they intend to just quote the value of the goods in the package, not the pledge amount.

From the Kickstarter comments:

Question: Will the physical shipment be declared as gift with the production values on it?

I really don't intend to pay lots of taxes/customs on a pledge.

Obsidian: We will declare the cost of making the goods, not the pledge amount.

• Like 1

Hey! Please keep the frequent updates going! I love it when I get a good drip feed of art work, updates and surveys!

Update addiction? Maybe we need to start a support group thread? :thumbsup:

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Yeah, I basically only check this Project Eternity forum now and that will probably be true for the rest of the project. I want to hear actual news, since I figure anything I read here will be common knowledge and therefore won't spoil the game. ...And it's a practical place to find out what's going on. I might even stop checking here after I get everything squared away with Obsidz. I'll probably post the updates on my facebook page, but other than that, I trust Obsidian to get it right whether I'm here blowing hot air or not.

EDIT: nothing like leaving off half a sentence.

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Re: one of each digital type for physical+digital copies.

Warning: This is speculation.

Surely they want to give physical copy owners the opportunity to register on steam in order to take advantage of the achievements etc. Although probably not forcing it.

So request your digital copy on gog and register your physical copy on steam.

Edit: I guess I read an old part of this thread. Where is the delete button?

Edited by RexCogitans

If they don't post an update soon I am going to make one up myself.

I would like to add to the requests for frequent updates. For better or worse, Project Eternity is now a community-driven project and I hope the whole team at Obsidian understands that the gigantic amount of goodwill built during the campaign, shouldn't be thrown out of the window.

I understand that you may want the team to work on the actual game, but keeping fans up-to-date on the progress (weekly?) will do a ton to maintaining the momentum, building word-of-mouth and... well... satiate fans' curiosity. Beta is 12 months away - at least! - so you have to throw things at us in the meantime!

How? Screenshots, lore updates, concept sketches. Maybe some behind the scenes once a month? You got 4x the money requested, pay the dividend :)

Edited by ivanhoe1982
  • Like 1

They're just getting started, so whatever they publish as updates now will be very preliminary. It'll no doubt take time for them to build up the lore, work out the game system, plan the development, start the writing, generate the art, and so forth. We'll just have to be patient. :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I think they intend to just quote the value of the goods in the package, not the pledge amount.

From the Kickstarter comments:

Question: Will the physical shipment be declared as gift with the production values on it?

I really don't intend to pay lots of taxes/customs on a pledge.

Obsidian: We will declare the cost of making the goods, not the pledge amount.

Well thats good at least. Still i want answers on marking them as gifts. Technically, we didnt purchase them as products, Obsidian gave them to us because we pledged.... There is actually a silver lining in there somewhere.

Firstly, congrats on the successful funding =).

Secondly, I need to ask a noob question here.

When are we going to have the option to choose between GOG and Steam to recieve our digital copy?

Thanks in advance.

And again, congratulations on the successful funding.

Can't wait to play Project Eternity.

Firstly, congrats on the successful funding =).

Secondly, I need to ask a noob question here.

When are we going to have the option to choose between GOG and Steam to recieve our digital copy?

Thanks in advance.

And again, congratulations on the successful funding.

Can't wait to play Project Eternity.

I suspect when they give out the surveys for all the stuff we pledged for like addons and such. I suspect this will be quite a survey :p.

I agree that the devs should keep folks informed, but I also don't begrudge them taking some time to regroup and assess their situation after the whirlwind Kickstarter campaign. I'm sure they're already working on things and I think they'll be served pretty well by taking the past few days to come up with a plan not only for development but also how they plan on approaching the updates as a well-structured holistic part of the project.

Obsidian Plays