I want to apologize on behalf of the internet

I'd rather we just forget about this as soon as possible. Yes, people act in ways and say things that we don't like, and they'll continue to do so, and as it turns out some of them like the same games we do. Not much else you can do about it. If it upsets you, try not to replicate that kind of behavior in your own life.

But really, let's just move on.

Edited by Ignatius

yeah you guys aren't exaggerating and making it worse with this thread and complaining about people's, who you don't know, feelings. The party looked fun and stream went fine.

There were probably 10k people watching that stream. There are going to be a few bad apples. When you try to crusade against these people, you just give them more power by making the situation worse. And you make the rest of us normal people annoyed for having to explain this to you and put up with your misconceptions and PC attitudes.

Edited by Grimlorn
  • Like 3

That same rule applies in so called real life too. (IMO internet is pretty real too, but maybe it's just me) Most if not every women like attention and compliments about their appearance. So do guys. That same thing happens in real life all the time (maybe in a little different tone) and it really isn't this big deal. It's just great ego boost form time to time. I just hate it when people are being overprotective over everything.

There's a big difference in saying "you look nice today" and the stuff people posted on the stream. Try saying some of that stuff in a bar to some random girl and his boyfriend and see what happens.

Edited by Guts

@Teuthida: To be honest I didn't follow the chat too carefully, but I didn't see anyone saying anything like that during that whole time. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but most of commenters were just lightly joking around. I just can't see any huge injustice here that needs an apology. If someone said that it definitively was inappropriate and stupid, but hardly an excuse to start women rights campaign here on this forum.

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

Some of the stuff I read was definitely in poor taste, unfortunately it seems to come with the territory on the internet.

I don't think people are right in assuming that all people like attention being focused on their appearance regardless of if it being positive commentary. When a pack of anonymous strangers are making personal comments I'm not sure that you can assume it's flattering to the recipient. However, that being said in this instance they didn't appear uncomfortable.

Edited by Sistergoldring
  • Like 1

priestess2.jpg

The Divine Marshmallow shall succour the souls of the Righteous with his sweetness while the Faithless writhe in the molten syrup of his wrath.

Seeing the terrible harassment in the live stream comments last night made me cringe. I'd just like the Obsidian staff to know we're not all horribly misogynistic, racist, socially-stunted a-holes and we are sorry you had to see that.

Sincerely,

Hopefully the majority of your backers

I agree 100% It's really sad how people can remain anonymous. They feel they can get away with anything. If they had treated ladies like that in person, they would have either been charged with sexual harrassment or had the tar beat out of them, or maybe both. It's disappointing. :(

It think watching the recording and not seeing the actual questions as they asked, it give a different perception because I only hear the questions they didn't ignore and for the most part they seemed to roll with the stupider stuff that came up. I imagine if you saw the questions firing around you probably got a different picture of the people trying to participate in the chat.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Meh. Obsidian's full of D&D nerds who probably browse the internet just as much as we do. I'm sure they knew full and well what it's like. Were the comments ****, yeah from what I've read (I had the stream in full screen mode most of the time). Some moderation would have helped in that situation, but I don't see nor feel the need to apologize for the idiots out there.

It think watching the recording and not seeing the actual questions as they asked, it give a different perception because I only hear the questions they didn't ignore and for the most part they seemed to roll with the stupider stuff that came up. I imagine if you saw the questions firing around you probably got a different picture of the people trying to participate in the chat.

For sure. There were quite a few Good questions that went unanswered because of all the spam for them to shout out to *insert country here*. Too many meme posts... but that's what happens on live feeds. People want to be "recognized"

I think this article pretty much sums up my feelings of the OP's comment.

http://www.nytimes.c...zing.html?_r=3

So what? You're proud of the segment of the community that was going on about the girl kid that was at the party being a loli? You think it was perfectly fine all those guys telling the green shirt woman to take off her top? People should apologise for that crap. If not apologising for comments like that is what makes you so proud of being an American it makes me glad I'm Canadian. Unlike that article I take it as a point of pride that Canadians are known for being polite, well mannered and not total asshats.

• Like 3

Racist and sexist comments on the internet? That never happens!

But really, apologizing on behalf of other people is something you don't do.

Furthermore, as others have pointed out, I'm sure the people at Obsidian were more than aware of what a stream chat could contain before they decided to do that.

@Enclave

I am "Canadian" and polite and I fail to see where pride comes into the conversation. I simply think the folks at Obsidian are grown ups, and your or the OP being offended on their behalf is unecessary (and apologizing for the Internet ridiculous).

Also, to take an air that we Canadians are somehow superior to Americans for our behaviour is kind of insulting in its own right :) Perhaps I should get offended on their behalf.

• Like 1

@Enclave

I am "Canadian" and polite and I fail to see where pride comes into the conversation. I simply think the folks at Obsidian are grown ups, and your or the OP being offended on their behalf is unecessary (and apologizing for the Internet ridiculous).

Also, to take an air that we Canadians are somehow superior to Americans for our behaviour is kind of insulting in its own right :) Perhaps I should get offended on their behalf.

Naw man, it's cool, since a single American said that we shouldn't be sorry for the rest of the internet that means all of America is a garbage heap. Because that's how logic works. GO CANADA!(This post was sarcasm)

Edited by HereticSaint

It seems like it is a lot more easier to be an idiot and say what we want from behind a screen. But, there is a lot of people that are not so bad and make these jokes only in an humorous way. I agree that it does not show a good image of us, but I have seen so many terrible things on the net...

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

"What can change the nature of a man?"

They had a good sense of humor about it. The only real offensive stuff I saw was some of the racist stuff and the targets of the comments just laughed about it.

I'm sure they're familar with the things that come out of the internet enough to take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah, Obsidian handled it really well, and especially Alvin seemed to have lots of fun reading the live comment stream and giving witty answers even to potentially offensive comments.

But a bunch of comments - which the Obsidian devs thankfully ignored - were really crossing the line and made me embarrassed for being part of the same fan community. I don't think they deserve replication here, but let's just say some of the sexual advances were more than crude.

Didn't see most of the stream because of timezone difficulties, but I remember the Planetary Annihilation Kickstarter Party livestream. John Comes' (Scathis) wife got in front of the camera and some people seriously posted "man the harpoons". No drama ensued and all was fine and dandy, but it still was rather... uncool