I want to apologize on behalf of the internet

Too much exposure to the comment sections of any portion of the Internet are liable to kill any lingering faith one has in us as a species. I'm certain the people at Obsidian are Internet savvy enough to know that by now.

Agreed. That's my hope anyways, that no one was really hurt by some of the horrible comments on the stream

I'd just like the Obsidian staff to know we're not all horribly misogynistic, racist, socially-stunted a-holes and we are sorry you had to see that.

I am, but y'know, that's besides the point.

Point is sing more karaoke.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

On the KS comments section people tend to be fairly respectful to OE folks. Why? Well, as a backer, you know Obsidian will have access to your name and address at some point. Honestly, any future things like that should focus on stripping away anonymity. That may not eliminate the stupidness but it should reduce it.

What happened? I missed it.

I second this.

Many of the uncouth commentors were, shall we say, "smitten," by one of Obsidian's female staffers.

An odd way to phrase it for a man with an avatar of the helm of a 7th century Saxon king, who would no doubt have been far more misogynistic.

Most of it was people shrieking (caps lock) their locations, and others responding to the trend by claiming to be in unlikely/non-real locations. And also quoting Chris Avellone who spent most of the stream drinking heavily and screaming "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" at such a volume that it inflicted pain upon many an ear.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 3

I second this.

Nothing special. Just usual internet and I think this thread is overreacting. Everybody had fun, nobody got hurt... oh, except OP here. ;)

There's nothing wrong with pointing out that people are sometimes horrible little ****. Saying 'That's fine, it's the internet' doesn't help things. Not that this whole thread is going to change anything in a large way, but I'd rather see people saying 'I hate how other people abuse anonymity to try to ruin other people's fun' than not.

• Like 6

Seeing the terrible harassment in the live stream comments last night made me cringe. I'd just like the Obsidian staff to know we're not all horribly misogynistic, racist, socially-stunted a-holes and we are sorry you had to see that.

Sincerely,

Hopefully the majority of your backers

Signed 100%. It was seriously embarrasing to read all the f***tards on the comments. You could imagine most people commenting were under the age of 15.

Edited by Guts

On the KS comments section people tend to be fairly respectful to OE folks. Why? Well, as a backer, you know Obsidian will have access to your name and address at some point. Honestly, any future things like that should focus on stripping away anonymity. That may not eliminate the stupidness but it should reduce it.

There is a positive role for anonymity, so I wouldn't rule it out. I also think you're underestimating the KS posters just a little. :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Some of what I saw was really, really cringe worthy but Obsidian are big boys and girls, I'm sure they took it in their stride. :yes:

Except for the kids :|

Hopefully it wasn't uncomfortable for anyone there. Most of the commenters actually were totally civil. You'll always get a few **** in that kind of space.

Edited by SunBroSolaire

It was linked on 4chans /v/ideogames board, which even the rest of that hive of scum and villany finds pretty loathsome.

/v/ is responsible for most of the misogyny gaming news stories (tropes v. women, jennifer hepler, etc.)

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

It was... Painful. And shameful. If I was the "green shirt girl", I'd have been traumatized for life.

How are you not a gibbering mess if you're that easily traumatized?

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I second this.

Nothing special. Just usual internet and I think this thread is overreacting. Everybody had fun, nobody got hurt... oh, except OP here. ;)

There's nothing wrong with pointing out that people are sometimes horrible little ****. Saying 'That's fine, it's the internet' doesn't help things. Not that this whole thread is going to change anything in a large way, but I'd rather see people saying 'I hate how other people abuse anonymity to try to ruin other people's fun' than not.

Actually that's exactly what helps. As I said in my first post, don't feed the troll and it will go away. As long as people keep frowning upon such activity and raise a fuss about it, they are going to keep doing it. But as soon as everybody just ignores them and moves on with their lives without single comment trolls seem to suddenly get bored and go try their luck on some other comment section.

If we take this "green shirt girl crisis" as an example, you could see how those spam comments decreased when the girl was out of picture and during that time Josh actually could anwer few serious questions, but as soon as she came back and started playing along spammers got active again. But for me that was not big deal and no one at office seemed to take offence either so I'm fine with it.

• Like 3

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

I'd actually argue that it's an even better arguement for why people under the legal age should not be permitted to access any kind of forum on the internet, their accounts should be locked to read-only. They also should be segregated into under-age multiplayer realms, as X-box Live readily demonstrates countless reasons to do so.

I'd make the case that the reason why Kickstarter's comments forum is so polite is because the majority of people there are adults since it requires a creditcard to participate, and the chat was a cesspool because the kids could access it.

My favourite prejudice was when the little kid Aiden was asking questions of one of the developers.

Aiden: Where are you from?

Developer: New York.

Aiden: Are you a bank robber?

You're never going to be president with that kind of attitude little buddy, people from New York aren't that bad.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot