I want to apologize on behalf of the internet

Seeing the terrible harassment in the live stream comments last night made me cringe. I'd just like the Obsidian staff to know we're not all horribly misogynistic, racist, socially-stunted a-holes and we are sorry you had to see that.

Sincerely,

Hopefully the majority of your backers

• Like 41

I believe Twitch highlighted their stream on the front page, which likely brought in a lot of viewers who had no idea what the stream was even about....eg, all they saw was a party. ;)

• Like 7
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sure, most of it. But I'm sure there was some discomfort. We like Obsidian. We don't want them to be disgusted by their own fans.

They had a good sense of humor about it. The only real offensive stuff I saw was some of the racist stuff and the targets of the comments just laughed about it.

I'm sure they're familar with the things that come out of the internet enough to take it with a grain of salt.

I got the feeling that most of the Obsidian folks were having a good time and rolling with it. Even the more racist or misogynistic comments were joked about by the people there.

After all, as game developers who have to read all of the negativity aimed at their creation day in and day out, "teh internets" probably becomes second nature. Actually, for anyone who has (for example) read comments on a youtube video, it's all pretty standard stuff.

The only comments that made me cringe a little inside were a couple directed at the children - but I (just like most everyone else) ignored them and went on with the party.

Edited by JWestfall

I have to agree. Some of that stupidness was cringe worthy.

Suggestion: Please figure out a way only to let backers see/particapte in those feeds. Restrict this by email and have all comments show the person's actual name. If they get out of line, perma ban them from future events. The best way to end that kind of stuff is to take away anonymity.

Edited by Shevek
  • Like 5

They handled it well and I don't think anyone was hurt, looked like a good party - but yes, the comments were cringeworthy. And simply annoying, because none of the more P:E related stuff went through between all the "WHAT'S THIS ABOUT" and "GREEN SHIRT GIRL CLOSER TO CAM PLZ" comments. But I believe that was the "guests", not this community. :getlost:

No need to apologize anything if you were not one writing those comments.;) I think it went pretty well given that it's internet after all. Those few inappropriate comments were effectively ignored by everyone in front of the camera and that's how it should be: Just don't feed the troll and it will go away.

That green shirt girl thing then again was harmless. Just little joke which grew into meme during that show.

I'm sure all folks at Obsidian had as great time yesterday as we did.

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

Suggestion: Please figure out a way only to let backers see/particapte in those feeds. Restrict this by email and have all comments show the person's actual name. If they get out of line, perma ban them from future events. The best way to end that kind of stuff is to take away anonymity.

Well, that would've locked me (and other paypal backers) out already, just like on the kickstarter comments... no fun. :(

Too much exposure to the comment sections of any portion of the Internet are liable to kill any lingering faith one has in us as a species. I'm certain the people at Obsidian are Internet savvy enough to know that by now.

Edited by Death Machine Miyagi