Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Idea: merge the stronghold and 2nd big city

stronghold big city #2 idea

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

.Leif.

.Leif.

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I would rather grow a small hamlet with a fortress nearby into a small city than be given lordship over a large already-existing city. The potential for development is greater when the framework for the structure of the area (Do we build a temple to the god of Healing and Knowledge or the goddess of Murder and Darkness?).
  • Tauron and RaccoonTOF like this

septembervirgin

septembervirgin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think while it sounds interesting to build *part* of a big city, like a district, building an actual city of the proportions we want in this "2nd big city" is not in the interests of Obsidian. For it to be valuable at all, it would take a variety of potential structures. The city would have to be structurally variant, at least as much as a Total War city circa Rome Total War.

Sarog

Sarog

Cataphract of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
An Athkatla sized metropolis springing up out of nothing around our stronghold in a couple of months because we successfully run a few errands or whatever would be silly. Big city 2 should be established and have history.
  • .Leif. likes this

Darkpriest

Darkpriest

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1396 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'd love to see two big cities... One which is on the surface, and the other, which is in equivalent of Underdark, if there is such a place in this realm. The BIG dungeon, could be on of the routes, that connects two "worlds", but not the only one.
  • .Leif. likes this

RaccoonTOF

RaccoonTOF

Enigma of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

4) The city is a psychic projection of all your past lives. It doesn't exist in a material sense, and all its inhabitants are you (from previous (and perhaps future?) lives). It grows via meditation (represented by quests), and since it's all in your mind it bypasses the contradictions of growing a city overnight. (What can I say, I'm a solipsist, remember?)

This is an absolutely amazing idea...and a great way to tie into the persistent souls of the world as well. I'm not sure I'd want this to be the "second big city" but I would LOVE to see this be how the "city" of your stronghold develops - either separate from or (better) in addition to the physical development of the stronghold itself. Could even have upgrades to the stronghold involve "memories" which cause the soul-city to expand as well, thus further adding additional things to do with each stronghold upgrade (ie: not just have stronghold upgrades as a result of having done things, but also have them be the key to unlocking further things to do, in a continuous cycle).
  • HangedMan likes this

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1981 posts
No thank you.
  • mcmanusaur likes this

Thangorodrim

Thangorodrim

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Location:The land beyond beyond ... the world past hope and fear
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Although I would love to have the fortress have some small city-like features ... I really want the two big cities and all the quests that could go with that ... depending on their proximity and composition we could end up with competing guilds ... warring city states ... all kinds of good things that aren't possible with only one big city ... I would love to see our fortress turn into a smaller city though (if we invested the time and money to develop it ;) )

Tauron

Tauron

Master Elementalist of Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
It sounds good building your own city. Start with Fortified castle and further develop it as you wish. This is illustration of Kings Landing from GoT. Basically you start more or less with Red Keep structure, develop that and settlement starts sprawling around that. But something like that might take years. Maybe we can have option of conquering the second city? Have a puppet ruler do our bidding and continue developing our stronghold. Maybe quick stronghold growth can be explained by migrations, etc.

Attached Files

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

Bridge Troll of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
What use does my barbarian have for an urban stronghold?
  • .Leif. likes this

syn2083

syn2083

Venom Vanguard of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think it would be interesting if the stronghold was under the purview of the mega city, and as such you were able to become a city councilor and have influence regarding certain "laws" and other things regarding the city.

That could be an interesting dynamic and alternative. I would not like it to be within the city either, so this is a nice middle ground I think.

It could be a neat 2 way street, eg, You are a council member, and also, with a stronghold are tasked with coming to the aid of the city 'prelate' or whatever, if called upon.

The city is attacked by XYZ, and you can go to his aid, send some 'troops', ignore it, etc, and receive the consequences, good or bad. As a council member, vote for less or more taxes, perhaps bribing other council members. Being established as a power, next to much older houses, they get angry and try to bully/bribe/shun you, etc.

Lot's of possibilities :)
  • HangedMan likes this

.Leif.

.Leif.

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

What use does my barbarian have for an urban stronghold?

Pillage!

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I want to be a dragon

Juneau

Juneau

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'd like 2 big cities and a stronghold that isn't in the city. (It then isn't a Stronghold imho)

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7550 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I like the idea of the stronghold being part of the second city, as a district or similar. Would be a nice backdrop for intrigue, "simsing" (chillaxing, living your life instead of ZOMGWORLDSAVE) and some C&C with the city folk.
I'm fine either way though.
  • HangedMan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stronghold, big city, #2, idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users