The "Unofficial" P.E. Relationship/Romance thread

The purpose of this thread is to provide a central place for all the romantics (and unromantics) out there to be able to continue discussions and debate the possibility of there being romances (or other complex relationships) in Project Eternity.

Some potential example points of discussion (but not limited to):

---what type of dynamic, complex character relationships are important to your gaming experience, if any?

---if you enjoy romances in games, what type of plots do you enjoy or dislike (tragic, happy ending, marriage/family)?

---what romance or relationship arcs from other games did you personally enjoy that can serve as examples?

---do you have any particular, preferred game mechanics for romance/relationships that you'd like to see included (optional questlines, dialogue, cutscenes)?

---what, even, is romance (to you)?

I'd like to remind members that while differing opinions and viewpoints are expected and welcome, trolling with purposeful intent to derail is not looked upon with favor. Try to play nice in the sandbox. ;)

Edited by LadyCrimson
Better topic purpose clarification
  • Like 8
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I will just restate my general views on romances in games from the other thread:

I'm fine with this (minimal, subtle, not latching into central plot) kind of implementation with the only caveat that non-romance content must be at least equal to romance content in the parallel/exclusive sense--it's a problem if a character is written with a romance path taking up 50% of its content, then someone who pursues it gets twice as much content as someone who chooses not to pursue it. A much better implementation is to have that 50% generic content that branches as a "Y" into two equal and exclusive paths, one of "romance" and the other of "bromance/best friend" or whatever.

And this cannot be dismissed with "just ignore it" because we only have eight companions. Eight. Not eighteen. For a party of six. Honestly, if we were going to have over a dozen companions of considerable depth, I'd have much less of a problem with this overall, but that's simply not within the scope of the project. Companion interaction is critical for PE, and that means everyone should have equal opportunity to experience it in both quantity and quality.

The only other fundamental disagreement I have with some people who want romances is the idea that "romance" somehow brings higher objective value to a character interaction. To repeat myself, since I doubt most would read the earlier parts of this thread: I don't believe stories "benefit" or not by inclusion of romance but rather that such stories are either designed to be such from the outset by virtue of genre application or the plot mechanism is specifically added to hook proponents of said genre--thus romance is not something I see as having additional intrinsic value in a fictional work, but is either the underlying nature of the story itself already or is used for marketing. Either you like the genre and reactive positively to the audience targeting, or you don't care for it (for whatever reasons). There are many other aspects of a relationship that give depth and meaning, and romance isn't by default any better than them.

Page 11 of the last locked thread also has a fair discussion on specific development resource limitation worries.

P.S.: I'm not against romance inclusion on its face, but there are plenty of caveats. PS:T subtlety seems to be the most favored.

Edited by Ieo
  • Like 2

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I'm all in for Romance options, I don't see how this will hurt the game experience for anyone.

HOWEVER, I don't support simplified get-go unrealistic romance (read harem) options. Just because I have a NPC of the opposite gender in my party it doesn't mean that this character's sole reason for existense should be defined by my ego stroking urges.

I totally want there to be romance options in the game and while I did like some of the romance options in BG2, I think that if there is such an option in PE it should be closer to what Planescape had. When you are nearing the end of the game or a party member's personal story arc, when you have invested a lot of time into understanding this chracter and have formed a bound with him/her only then should that option be possible.

I don't want a Date Tycoon game, I want a mature and intelligently writen story where forming a relationship with a certain character feels like reading a good book rather than getting to the next checkpoint in Super Mario.

Romances should be the ending branch of a NPCs character, the optional finishing touch to the relationship between the PC and the character in question.

• Like 6

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

If we get a Stronghold, maybe we'll get a Lady/Lord to marry as well?

Maybe you can decide to have encounters (as in the Witcher) as well.

And you children start as PC in PE2.

And they meet the unclaimed children from you affairs from PE1...

Edited by oberjaeger

now I'm not sure if you're serious or just trolling. bsn version of Poe's law.

****ing urls, how do they work?

Edited by Hoverdog

[intelligence] I'm fighting the Good Fight with my posts.

Oh so this is a thread where only people who want romancable companions can post?

Of course not. I was merely trying to offer some discussion suggestions in the opening post, based on what I've seen other threads. ;)

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oh so this is a thread where only people who want romancable companions can post?

Of course not. I was merely trying to offer some discussion suggestions in the opening post, based on what I've seen other threads. ;)

IMO it would be better if it was renamed to "Choices & consequences Affecting NPCs Behaviour" to open up the subject of the thread a bit, but whatever.

• Like 1

I want my character spurned at every advance. I want him to contract syphilis and die a gibbering fool, I want my character to be drowning his sorrows, alone in a tavern, lamenting why every person he ever loved died as a result of their association with him.

It's gonna be awesome.

• Like 2

I want the romances from PS:T and KOTOR2 to serve as models for Obsidian in this case. A more subtle and complicated kind of romance.

the best thing about kotor2 romances is Mira's not having the slighest interest in you.

• Like 5

[intelligence] I'm fighting the Good Fight with my posts.

Ego stroking, like you wouldn't like to be a powerful wizard, heroic fighter,

shadowy thief, a far more important figure for the world than you are now.

It's roleplaying, generally people want to achieve things and feel good about

achieving them, there's story and there's puzzles, but in the end it's all about

ego stroking.

• Like 1

Why, serious of course, can't see any trolling.. :blink:

I want BG2 romances as guidelines how to do romances (except Anomen, his could... be improved :) ) in PE.

Edited by Mrakvampire
  • Like 2

No to experimentation!

No to fixing that is not broken!

No to changes for the sake of change!

Do not forget basis of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment. Just put all your effort to story, fine-tuning and quality control.

Why, serious of course, can't see any trolling.. :blink:

Bravo then, because in that case your post have made lose my faith in humanity. AVE SATANAS!

Say no to popamole!

Ego stroking, like you wouldn't like to be a powerful wizard, heroic fighter,

shadowy thief, a far more important figure for the world than you are now.

It's roleplaying, generally people want to achieve things and feel good about

achieving them, there's story and there's puzzles, but in the end it's all about

ego stroking.

You clearly haven't played DND with me.

Quite frankly I almost always manage to pick the most underpowered option.

I just hate the word epic. (Goes back to dieing in NetHack, "Crash! A rock falls on your head! It explodes!")

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

Why is "Unofficial" in inverted commas*? Is this thread ironically unofficial? What does that even mean?

Think of them as geeky air-quotes. Since I'm a geek, this would easily apply.

• Like 1