Help me pick a cRPG to play.

jivex5k

FO1/2, Arcanum, PST, IWD1/2, BG1/2 all have widescreen mods, and look just fine. Though you wouldn't want it on the natural resolution of your 32" monitor or something, you'd want to set it a bit smaller.

That should set you up for a couple hundred hours of awesome.

If you've only played BG2 and DA:O then you're really missing out.

For the Project Eternity feel, definitely go with:

• Baldur's Gate
  • Planescape: Torment
  • Icewind dale

Other RPGs i'd strongly recommend:

• Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
  • Darklands
  • Might & Magic 6
  • Might & Magic 7
  • Betrayal at Krondor
  • Gothic
  • Gothic 2
  • The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • Realms of Arkania
  • Arx Fatalis
  • Deus Ex
  • System Shock 2

Best list proposed. I would also add Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and the Fallout series (you can skip Fallout 3 and go to New Vegas directly). Haven't played neverwinter nights 2 myself but I've heard good things (and bad, but apparently they can be overlooked) about it, so you can add that and also its 2 expansions are supposably good. Also Temple of Elemental Evil, if you want to get a feel for what the special modes they'll be introducing will feel like.

Edited by mr.Ermac
  • Like 1

Maybe because the game feels very "slow" at the beginning, especially in the mortuary. I know I found the combination of weirdness (unfamiliarity with the setting) and the zombie shuffling pace (at times quite literally) off putting the first time I played it. I persevered and once out and starting to get around Sigil, it became very interesting.

Probably part of it. I wasn't exactly a "hardcore RPG" gamer at the time, or for most of my life before the more graphical cRPG's started popping up. Before Doom/BG1/Diablo1/Tombraider etc. my biggest experience with gaming came from Atari's Pac-Man and checkers/chess/RISK other strategy board games. I remember thinking "this is weird" and "I don't get it" a few times for the short period I tried PS:T. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, Torment is a must,

another must have played is Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines...community is keeping it up tp date

Witcher 1 is a great game, however not a must, witcher 2 is.

As mentioned before Baldurs Gate comes in an Enhanced Edition on the 30th of Nov...another must in my book

Gothic 2 is definatly great game

TES 3 Morrowind, is amazing, cheap too, and with mods damn nice to look at.

Hermit of the Obsidian Order