Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Renaissance elements vs swords and sorcery

guns sorcery magic

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

el pinko grande

el pinko grande

Void-Touched Master of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:el pinko grande
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Sawyer is a historian, so we can expect something like this. And we don't know much about feudalism in PE. This is a medieval society, but what if it doesn't resembles classic European feudalism? Maybe there are different nations, and some of them are more like Byzantine Empire (I so much want that!), or Arab world at its best, or Italian city-states like Genoa and Venice?

If we ever get an RPG set in a well-done fantasy version of the Byzantine Empire, I will buy an island and start my own nation there, purely for the purpse of marrying that video game.
  • Lysen likes this

Burn Everything & Sing

Burn Everything & Sing

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:EnvyShade
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
Well, personally.... if there were some steampunk elements, that'd be pretty rad. Besides the modron in Planescape: Torment fits a steampunkish theme... also, from what I recall of AD&D 2nd edition there were weapons such as the "arquebus" were included (even if it were up to the DM to have them in game or not).

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5075 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Muzzle-loader loose-powder firearms are really not that big a deal in gameplay. Historically the accuracy was so bad and the reload time so long that they wouldn't be much good for a few adventurers fighting a horde of monsters. Your fighter would get off one musket or maybe two pistol shots at the start of each fight and that's it (until you spend 30 seconds stationary & out of combat reloading), it certainly wouldn't overshadow conventional weapons much less spell use.

I'm with Starglider on this one. Plus, in terms of net firepower, a wand of fireballs is going to beat a muzzle-loader hands down.

Edited by rjshae, 17 October 2012 - 05:21 PM.

• eimatshya likes this

Tamerlane

Tamerlane

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1125 posts

Sawyer is a historian, so we can expect something like this. And we don't know much about feudalism in PE. This is a medieval society, but what if it doesn't resembles classic European feudalism? Maybe there are different nations, and some of them are more like Byzantine Empire (I so much want that!), or Arab world at its best, or Italian city-states like Genoa and Venice?

If we ever get an RPG set in a well-done fantasy version of the Byzantine Empire, I will buy an island and start my own nation there, purely for the purpse of marrying that video game.

Well, Dragon Age has a very blatant stand-in for the Byzantines...

... but of course, the trouble's with the execution on that particular front.

Gyor

Gyor

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think different areas will have different tech levels.

The free Palatinate of Dyerwood would probably have Late Medevil tech, while the Vialian Republic would be more renassiance.

A random Orlan village might be bronze or stone age.

And I prefer high fantasy for magic myself.

I'm fine with gun powder and muskets or whatever.

Although when descussing the midevil period tech, some people seem to forget that it was called the Dark Ages for a reason, the previous Roman era was far more advanced in many areas, not all, but many. So I wouldn't mind seeing some Roman level technology too.

Also remember that these cultures maybe inspired by certain earth eras, but they have thier own history and potent magics and the like so don't expect historical recreation.

iceferret

iceferret

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I think it is important to review the various ages of man. The dark ages do not encompass all of the middle ages, and great strides and technologies were made during the middle ages. The middle ages can be broken up into different periods with vastly different technologies (not to mention this is very dependant on region as well).

I like the section called "Modern Image" at the end of this wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Middle_Ages
  • Lysen likes this

Wombat

Wombat

Obsidian Order's Mysterious Stranger

• Members
  • 1050 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
The lack of the printing press in the setting already indicates that the designers are well aware of the divisions of knowledge shared both through time and places. Ancient Greek already knew that the Earth is a sphere and such knowledge must have been shared by those who had access to such materials even during Medieval periods. Also, despite what Bacon wrote below, printing, gunpower and the magnet all originated from China (except Chinese printing press being wooden).http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Novum_Organum/Book_I_(Spedding)

Again, it is well to observe the force and virtue and consequences of discoveries; and these are to be seen nowhere more conspicuously than in those three which were unknown to the ancients, and of which the origin, though recent, is obscure and inglorious; namely, printing, gunpowder, and the magnet. For these three have changed the whole face and state of things throughout the world; the first in literature, the second in warfare, the third in navigation; whence have followed innumerable changes; insomuch that no empire, no sect, no star seems to have exerted greater power and influence in human affairs than these mechanical discoveries.

The knowledge about the origins of technologies is not needed to employ the technologies in question. Some knowledge can be hidden by intentional propagandas, misunderstanding, and/or unconscious biases.*

In any case, what the designers appear to be doing is how these historical factors are fitted to their setting in a convincing manner.

*After all, how could we establish knowledge without any bias? Again, ancient Greek divided knowledge systems into metaphysics and physics. In a way, the epistemology was repeated in the Western Renaissance-Modern era in the shape of Continental Rationalism and Anglo-Scottish Empiricism. Predating this, Aquinas and Ockham can be said to have played a role of bringing back knowledge of ancient Greece to human use during the shift from scholasticism to modern philosophies. Releasing knowledge occupied by religious organizations marked these periods.

Melhelix

Melhelix

Obstinate Scribe of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I really liked the -reason- they brought single-shot guns in. The interview with Avellone here says:
Q: Although I have asked about technology already, since this is such a game changer, I made it a separate question: Will this universe have guns or gunpowder?
A: It has both. Gunpowder weapons exist, though they are single-shot wheellock variety, and are primarily used to give mages an unprecedented run for their money.

I found that very refreshing. Also it makes sense that more physically inclined opponents would find a way to deal with mystically inclined opponents. In a world where magic exists, someone is bound to invent something that works against it.

Edited by Melhelix, 17 October 2012 - 10:34 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guns, sorcery magic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users