Hi, new here :). I'm spanish, so first of all, sorry for my bad english. I don't know if this question had been answered before, but here I go: How do you want the inventory to be?

In my case, I hate infinite inventories, like the one in Dragon Age Origins, where you can carry like 50 swords whithous problem. I very much like the one in Arcanum, for example, where every item occupies some tiles, depending on their size. i thinks it's a perfect sistem, the most realistic for a RPG. Or, if that's not the case, a limited inventory like in IE games. What do you think?

• Like 1

Infinite Engine games also incorporated a encumberance system. Every item has a weight and the more items the heavier it all is to carry it all. You can even pile up stuff in a character's inventory until he physically can't move.

So I don't know about a grid system but I like the old way the IE games did it. I liked the grid system (annoying at times) in Deus Ex which was very realistic for a FPS style of game.

Edited by Technatorium

Yeah, IE games have a cool inventory system. Stronger characters carrying more heavy items in comparation with the weaker characters, but with a limit of items for character. Another thing that i like was that all characters have their own inventory, not a generic one.

The grid system can be annoying because puts some limitation in the items you can carry, but in a group of six characters this isn't a problem. And, with this system you worry more about the items you can carry and the ones you have to left behind.

The main thing I don't like in IE games is how much space 'notes' that you find take up. Totally needed a 'scrapbook' for that kind of thing. However, I'm not that concerned about how it will in this game. It won't be worse, I'm sure, and probably will be better.

Keys, notes, scrolls, should be in some special space for them.

Another way it will be could to gestion the inventory is one in wich the things you can loot will be in someplace. For example, a bagpack, a belt, etc. If your lack of this items to store things, you only can carry some items. DayZ it's another kind but applies this very well.

I want a Weight system, where you can carry as much stuff as you want but each level of encumbrance slows you down.

In 4 categories:

Light weight, no penalty, 0-40% max capacity

Medium weight, small penalty 40-60% you move a little slower and for example if there is map travel it takes more time for your party to move to A to B.

Heavy weight, Medium penalty 60-80% you move slower significantly and it takes more time to travel in map travel also it consumes more stamina to travel if there is a stamina system also stamina recharges slower.

Over packed, high penalty 80-100%+ you are clearly over encumbered and you move as slow as heavy but you consume much more stamina traveling.

If the game has a Stamina / Endurance system this could be awesome.

You have to see what you are using and pack what you need no too much or less. Because if you carry to little maybe you will need something if you carry too much then you will not be able to sell the good loot you will gather in your adventures.

With Bags and other tipe of containers to help the organization.

Edited by ReyVagabond
  • Like 1

I want a Weight system, where you can carry as much stuff as you want but each level of encumbrance slows you down.

In 4 categories:

Light weight, no penalty, 0-40% max capacity

Medium weight, small penalty 40-60% you move a little slower and for example if there is map travel it takes more time for your party to move to A to B.

Heavy weight, Medium penalty 60-80% you move slower significantly and it takes more time to travel in map travel also it consumes more stamina to travel if there is a stamina system also stamina recharges slower.

Over packed, high penalty 80-100%+ you are clearly over encumbered and you move as slow as heavy but you consume much more stamina traveling.

Very good idea! I will add something more, more weight means slower reactions too. So if you fight over packed on 100% you will react 2X slower ;)

www.mazhlekov.com

www.portals.mazhlekov.com

I'd love to see a game with the Ultima Online inventory system.

Which is no specific grid, everything has a weight, and you have a max weight based on strength.

There is also a limit of 155 items regardless of total weight, and it doesn't count stacks of arrows/bolts/bandages etc...

You can become over-encumbered but still move, you walk and lose stamina each step until its 0 and you can't walk any longer.

I like the no-grid system because ...well I don't know why I just dig it for some reason. It was always a PITA finding stuff sometimes and I kind of liked that aspect for some reason. It just felt so...free.

0442.jpg

I think the Infinity engine games had a pretty good inventory management system with the slots and the weight limits, just the only change I would make is to move all the quest items and what not into a specific key items area on its own so they stop hogging up your inventory for the whole game.

By the end of the game, you'd have dead cats, loads of keys, pantaloons, millions of notes. Just for ease of use, this should not be allowed to happen in PE.

I'd love to see a game with the Ultima Online inventory system.[skip]

Divine Divinity had a similar inventory system. I really liked it, but I'm not sure if I want that in Project Eternity. It can get cluttered and difficult to move things around in it and PE might have more large objects (swords, shields armors) than Ultima Online and DD did.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Personally I would prefer a system like that from Arcanum or to a slightly lesser extend the IE games. I can also accept a simple list and encumbrance.

I think the main problem with the IE style is that it does not take the size of an item into account. it considers the weight of an item sure so a suit of plate armour is way heavier than a ring, but they take up the same amount of "space" so ignoring weight you can carry X suits of plate or X rings, which is silly. Yes I know about gembags etc. but for that case just replace the ring with a loaf of bread or daggers.

I "really" hope they consider the system carefully if they go with an ultima style system, especially if we also get commodities like food etc. That could be a nightmare to organise and half the time items disappeared or took eons to find unless I organised it carefully.

A simple solution for it could be a "view as list" option which would actually be nice for all systems as it makes finding things faster.

No matter what though I hope the system will be easy and fast to use, I really do not feel like using 5 minutes sorting my inventory, if I get that kind of urge I might as well go play with Excel ;)

IE for me too. Don't think adding "sizes" like most action RPG's (diablo) is adding anything, and agree with everyone smaller things like rings should probably stack. notes have a seperate section in the journal where they end after reading, and keys got a keychain (so might still take one slot of one char, but hold all), etc.

With just these minor changes there is no need to change it radically to another system, especially one as horrible as a list...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Eh, I don't know. I like to play role playing games, not inventory games. Inasmuch as limits on my inventory force me to make interesting decisions, that's fine. But realism for realism's sake, or tedium in the name of balance... it's just not particularly fun for me.

I actually have no problem with infinite inventories. It isn't realistic, but finite inventories are a pain in the ass and don't really add any interesting dynamics to the game (except in survival horror games, but PE isn't one). So I choose gameplay over realism and vote infinite. I do, however, have problems with list inventories, which most infinite inventories are. So let me make a couple points about the way list inventories need to be handled.

First, they need to have various sorting options. TES and Fallout 3+ attempt this, but they don't do it well. They allow you to sort by many different classifications, but the classifications have little or nothing to do with how I use the items. Basic categories need to be things like weapons (sortable by damage, speed, or any other weapon property), armor, consumables (sortable by effect), plot items (sortable by quest), and merchant fodder (sortable by value/weight ratio). We also need a "favorites" list (similar to the one in Skyrim, but by no means identical), which can be viewed on its own, sorted like any other list, and doesn't show up in the "sell" interface. Got that, Obsidian? If you do all that, you might well make a list inventory that people don't actually hate.

This must be the obsessive compulsive in me but I always enjoyed diablo inventetris. I also always wanted to be the one who packed the luggage into the car before a family trip... so... perhaps I'm not normal...

Whether or not they're the same size, items definately need graphical icons. Skyrim's listventory almost made me quit playing.

Edited by SKahn

Though I love the limitless size of inventory in the Gothic games and in Stonekeep (where they made a justification for it as well), I don't think it would fit the type of game Eternity seems to be. Individual inventories that are limited on size and weight would be the best, as in the IE games.

Go for weight-based.

"People dislike the popular because it's crap"

"HTH. Because it means I can talk down to you some more."

"I can do you a quote a day, but you'll have to pay. Preferably with suicide."

"You want original? Why? It's not as though that's ever touched your life before."

"A woman scorned is a fun thing. Let's boogie."