Please don't get used to the term endless 'dungeon'

There is no need, both for the developers and the players, to consider the endless dungeon to be a dungeon in the most strict sense of dungeon crawling.

This is something that I haven't really seen voiced in PE related discussions, so I created an account just to point this out.

Basically I feel that what Obsidian has with the Endless Paths of Od Nua is 13 (14?) layers of interconnected map, a template of sorts. There is no need to limit this template to a hack-and-slash formula. I feel that it would be best if this area had its own underground cities, communities, NPCs side quests, hidden nooks and crannies, lore tidbits, that is to say more or less be an extension of normal PE gameplay that we expect, with all the depth, strangeness and unpredictability (perhaps even more so with this opportunity) that the game will surely contain in its other acts and locations. This would naturally take a greater amount of effort than generating a dungeon crawl so I'm not exactly sure how feasible it would be.

Plus, I feel this could provide a certain opportunity for Obsidian. Have 13 (or 14, w/e the final number) layers of proper content for the Endless Paths, going progressively deeper, then, as the story there winds down, introduce an actual, procedurally generated endless dungeon for levels 13+ with no (or an arbitrary) end. The game ends up with a rich, story-filled zone and an actual endless dungeon to match the name of the zone.

What do others think about this? Am I being too unrealistic or just stating the obvious?

• Like 5

What do others think about this? Am I being too unrealistic or just stating the obvious?

I don't know. I personally want a dungeon. No communities. Just old-good dungeon. With intricate puzzles, traps and monsters.

• Like 4

No to experimentation!

No to fixing that is not broken!

No to changes for the sake of change!

Do not forget basis of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment. Just put all your effort to story, fine-tuning and quality control.

There is no need, both for the developers and the players, to consider the endless dungeon to be a dungeon in the most strict sense of dungeon crawling.

This is something that I haven't really seen voiced in PE related discussions, so I created an account just to point this out.

Basically I feel that what Obsidian has with the Endless Paths of Od Nua is 13 (14?) layers of interconnected map, a template of sorts. There is no need to limit this template to a hack-and-slash formula. I feel that it would be best if this area had its own underground cities, communities, NPCs side quests, hidden nooks and crannies, lore tidbits, that is to say more or less be an extension of normal PE gameplay that we expect, with all the depth, strangeness and unpredictability (perhaps even more so with this opportunity) that the game will surely contain in its other acts and locations. This would naturally take a greater amount of effort than generating a dungeon crawl so I'm not exactly sure how feasible it would be.

Plus, I feel this could provide a certain opportunity for Obsidian. Have 13 (or 14, w/e the final number) layers of proper content for the Endless Paths, going progressively deeper, then, as the story there winds down, introduce an actual, procedurally generated endless dungeon for levels 13+ with no (or an arbitrary) end. The game ends up with a rich, story-filled zone and an actual endless dungeon to match the name of the zone.

1-there will not be random (procedural) generated environments

2-even if there will be a city underground, it would still be a city. I personally considered the underdark in BGII as a big fat dungeon.

Maybe a dungeon in the spirit of the old-fashioned ones but with a new twist... :)

"Was du nicht kennst, das, meinst du, soll nicht gelten? Du meinst, daß Phantasie nicht wirklich sei?

Aus ihr allein erwachsen künft'ge Welten: In dem, was wir erschaffen, sind wir frei."

- Michael Ende, Das Gauklermärchen

1-there will not be random (procedural) generated environments

2-even if there will be a city underground, it would still be a city. I personally considered the underdark in BGII as a big fat dungeon.

I'd back the Underdark concept, and would probably play it if designed in such a manner. Otherwise I would most likely skip it altogether as it's not really my style of gameplay (especially since it's quite likely I will be soloing on my initial playthrough). Not a complaint as such, mind you, I regard the whole thing as sort of a bonus feature, like deleted scenes on a movie DVD, nice that it's there but mostly inconsequential at best.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm okay with the "endless" path having an end. Things that stretch on forever do so because no one has found the end yet for the most part. In that sense, I thought the purpose was a Durlag's Tower kind of deal.

But whatever Obsidian does I'm okay with.

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

However improbable the idea is, I definitely like it. Maybe somewhere around halfway through the dungeon, their's a settlement of some kind. Makes for a good pit stop before plumbing the rest of the depths.

Do you like hardcore realistic survival simulations? Take a gander at this.

However improbable the idea is, I definitely like it. Maybe somewhere around halfway through the dungeon, their's a settlement of some kind. Makes for a good pit stop before plumbing the rest of the depths.

I seriously hope they would not trade in gold money, as that would be quite convenient... don't you think?

• Like 1

I'd actually like to see a city of the dead, or a city of souls, similar to the concept of the grey company, (the Dead Men of Dunharrow), from Tolkiens mythos. If you have the right faction built up, or the right type of soul, you can use the city as a safe haven. If not...

I seriously hope they would not trade in gold money, as that would be quite convenient... don't you think?

Thinking about it a bit; Od Nua could be a haven for other adventuring parties as well - so maybe you end up trading with some of them (and fighting others?)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Thinking about it a bit; Od Nua could be a haven for other adventuring parties as well - so maybe you end up trading with some of them (and fighting others?)

As long as there is no a settlement that seems to exists as a Tourist Attraction™ placed there for all Parties of Experienced Adventurers™.

• Like 3

I don't know. I personally want a dungeon. No communities. Just old-good dungeon. With intricate puzzles, traps and monsters.

Yeah we have the whole rest of the game to be filled with communites, npcs, quests and stories. This place sounds like it's a hack-slash dungeon, though I would like riddles/puzzles that would be great from the sound of Od Nua he probably did have puzzles and traps left behind.

That's what I expect the Endless Dungeon to be. Interaction with people and societies similar to BG II is what the world outside of the Endless Dungeon is to be about, isn't it?

• Like 1

The rest of the game has cities, npcs and so forth. A mega-dungeon is to delve into desperate struggles with foes barely matched. It's a slow crawl into depths no living person has stepped out of, making your way through the discarded bones of adventurers great and small, struck dead in a similar fashion to how those spiders you just encountered normally attack their prey. Perhaps at some point you might enter a level where no other man has stepped into for eons, and with good reason.......... wait, what was the topic again? No, mega-dungeon means dungeon crawl. Sure, make a twist on it, but sometimes i just want a challenge i know in the end will reward me richly.

• Like 2

Chances are at one level or another there will be some sort of "settlement" wether sentient undead, trapped souls (souls are important in PE) or some troglodyte society that'll trade you things in exchange of items previously or deeper in the path or "quests".

« Celui qui est consumé par la flamme de la justice ne craint ni le ciel, ni l’enfer ; il n’est qu’une arme attendant le jour de sa mort ». (Paul Murphy, l'Enclave, 1971)

If there is a community of people eking out a living within the endless dungeon, I will set this game aside and go back to FPSs. I don't want yet another inhabited region. I want a dungeon to plow through. Level after level filled with terrible nightmares and gleaming treasure. Something to test me as an adventurer and send me back to the surface with tales of awesomeness. Something that reminds me of the times as a kid that I actually played AD&D. If there's a friggin' village, or worse yet a trading post, then I want nothing to do with it. That's ridic.

Edited by SarcasmoTheGreat
  • Like 2

The only traders I want to see in this deep and dangerous dugeon is npcs who wanna trade blood for blood and sweat for sweat, their chance to loot my dead body or my chance to loot theres.

Please, I want this to be an optional place that will challenge me and not be for thw feight of hearts or will. I want to be challenge by playing the game how its meany to be played, no more self gimping,, BRING ON THE BLOOD and TEARS!

I'm not a fun of hack'n'slashy dungeons (or even dungeons in general), so I'd love an underground city or a complex lore-related quest spanning the whole ruin. However, there's plenty of place for this above ground and I know people really want a classic dungeon with tons an enemies to fight through, so I'm not sure...

I'm not a fun of hack'n'slashy dungeons (or even dungeons in general), so I'd love an underground city or a complex lore-related quest spanning the whole ruin. However, there's plenty of place for this above ground and I know people really want a classic dungeon with tons an enemies to fight through, so I'm not sure...

We're already getting two big cities full of NPCs, quests, lore, etc. This will be an OPTIONAL dungeon.

Can't imagine it'd be that difficult to put in a huge, lore-related, dungeon-spanning quest that people can just ignore in favour of killing things if they prefer. Maybe make it an alternate way of getting to the final reward: follow along with the quest and open the shortcut, fight the dragon in front of the main entrance, or open the shortcut AND kill the dragon!

I think the Endless Dungeon should not be regarded as a key feature of the game. Probably it is similar to Watcher's Keep in ToB - it's huge, has its own storyline, but is a side endeavour that has nothing to with the actual storyline.

To me, it appears to be a treat for backers at Kickstarter (so that not just the amount of money one pledges, but participating itself is relevant).

We're already getting two big cities full of NPCs, quests, lore, etc. This will be an OPTIONAL dungeon.

That's why I said I'm not sure [if I'm entirely against making it a classic dungeon]. While I'm not thrilled by the idea of an endless dungeon, I know others are, so let them have it. I'll deal, the game will be diverse enough to satisfy us all :)

Seriously, they even said they were based on the mega-dungeons in the ie games. It is optional and it will be a dungeon crawl like we asked for and eventually got. Dont go changing sh*t when we always knew what we got.

LEAVE MY DUNGEON ALONE!!!!!

Its not a friggen city its not some retarded tourist trap temple Its a dungeon I expect to be swarmed by mobs every last step. I expect to hit a few boss'. I expect to be dodging traps and finding loot on every step that I am not wading through the bodies of my victims. DONT RUIN IT WITH YOUR CAREBEAR CRAP!!!

• Like 2