Earlier today as I watched the Obsidian gang gather to watch the wonderful finally of the Kickstarter campaign I heard one of the Q&A responses that got my attention. I'm a huge Firefly fan and I heard Mr. Avellone mention what a big fan he was and how much he would love to do a Firefly based RPG. Honestly I can't imagine anything better than an RPG set in the Firefly universe with Chris at the helm.

I realize for the next couple years the gang is going to be working on Project Eternity and I'm all for that (I'm a backer after all), but I would love to see a grassroots effort get underway to get people moving in the direction of delivering the rights to do a Firefly RPG at Obsidian. Does anyone have any ideas how us Browncoats can get something like that off the ground?

Perhaps that idea can take root here and some other Firefly fans can help shoot around some ideas on how to make something like that a reality. I mean after watching something as miraculous as a crowd funded old school RPG get the all time record for support on Kickstarter should prove to everyone that anything is possible if we believe in it and work on making it a reality.

Hearing Chris' enthusiasm for Firefly made me confident that it is someone like him who should helm a project like this. Great games are made by people who really believe in their projects. I heard that kind of conviction today even in the middle of all the celebration of PE.

• Like 1

There were two Firefly MMO in the works; Darkcryo's Firefly universe and the Multiverse Platform's Firefly and Buffy MMOs. Darkcryo got C&D'ed by Fox for IP infringement and Multiverse went under, taking all the games based on it down with it.

(\)(;,,;)(/)

Cthulhu/Dagon

Vote Elder Party!

I would like to do a lot more than wait for Obsidian to get a call. That leaves too much to chance. If there is a community effort to push this idea and get it linked to the minds of the folks sitting on those IP rights then we can turn "chance" to reality. The reality is that there is a big fan-base of Browncoats out there and I'm betting a lot of them also love RPG's. The IP rights are not doing Fox any good if it doesn't do anything with them. Obsidian is one of the best Studios at making RPG's and in my opinion should be given the opportunity to work with this IP. If anyone knows how to track down the folks that have some control over this, fans could set out to create a campaign to awaken them to this currently undervalued opportunity.

I feel the need for some brainstorming on this topic.

* What are the best methods to get the IP-holder's attention?

* How do we get Browncoats and RPG fans to coalesce around this project

* Who are the key people of Firefly/Serenity that control game rights (Joss Whedon, Fox, Universal Pictures, someone else)?

* How do we connect Obsidian with the key people that control these rights?

I'm certain whomever owns the rights probably is nervous about giving much cash to fund a game, so maybe this would be a crowd-source project, but that is still one of many questions to consider.

I've had the serenity table top RPG source book for awhile now but none of my friends ever really wanted to play it so it sits neglected.

I personally would love to see a firefly type RPG. Not so much set in the firefly universe but what I consider to be a low tech sci-fi rpg. I love the idea of a game like firefly where sure you have space flight but you're still using pistols and ride horses because most people can't afford to do otherwise is just intriguing to me. I also think it would need to be a mixed sort of RPG where not only would your crew need to be of use on the ground on missions but in keeping your spaceship in good working order. At the very least I'd like your ships upkeep to be a constant factor so you'd be forced to take jobs your character might not agree with because of the need to keep your ship fueled and working.

If this team or another team I really like wanted to do this sort of RPG I'd buy it/kickstart it in a second.

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Obsidian's next Kickstarter? :shifty:

Don't I wish. Especially if they could get some/all of the original actors to do some voice acting....I can always dream.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

In the meantime, you could play the Serenity RPG:

http://firefly.wikia...le_Playing_Game

I've never played it, so I can't vouch for how good it is. If you're into Firefly and tabletop RPGs, that might be something to explore.

I was going to post this (and did in fact comment on it on the live stream...not that anyone was likely to notice it there :p). I've played 1 1/2 campaigns using it, before the group fell apart due to various people moving. Basically, very interesting system, LOTS of good background information, enough "tie-ins" to make it interesting just as an extension of the 'verse, while still being a good "space opera meets western" game system. Not much in the way of strict mechanics (as in almost all of the "conditional modifiers" are determined by the GM on the spot, and vary from use to use), a simple but brutal combat system which mostly forced the adventuring to be about the politicking and interactions than hack and slash (something I liked about it, but won't cater to everyone in a game system, and was more true to the series/movie as well), and the ability to have your own *loved* ship was just unmissable...

This DOES require having a good, flexible, and creative GM (and to *slightly* lesser extent player group) more than some other RPGs to have even a "good" experience - and regardless of the tie-ins and overall flavour, this WON'T happen with anyone who wants to stick strictly to the series/movie as (necessarily IMO) many things were abstracted for the RPG and due to it "officially" only being able to use movie source material, it is conflicting on some things that did come up in the series - but overall with the right group of people it is very rewarding. Would love to see this as a cRPG (though that might be difficult due to the dependance on "seat of the pants" GM style), or a completely different system set in the same 'verse either way.

Edit:

Don't I wish. Especially if they could get some/all of the original actors to do some voice acting....I can always dream.

If anyone could get the rights to produce it, you'd be able to get almost if not the entirety of the original cast to support it. Every public statement/appearance I've seen from any of them have all stated that they would love to continue being involved in the 'verse, in whatever format that involvement takes.

Edited by RaccoonTOF

"If we are alone in the universe, it sure seems like an awful waste of space"

Firefly is my favorite t.v. show to get canceled in the last several years. ...And considering how many shows get canceled these days, that's saying something. It's the best science fiction show I've ever seen. I've enjoyed some of Star Trek and Star Wars, but the Firefly 'universe' has always struck me as the most genuine. I would be even more excited about a Firefly Kickstarter than Project Eternity, and that's saying something! Of course, Project Eternity has a personal investment for me that no game ever has and I can't imagine ever having in the future, but that's because of events in my personal life. In terms of the 'universe,' Firefly would still be the perfect setting for me.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Not until after I get Avellone's high school RPG!

I think I'd rather they made a Firefly RPG.

Unless we get to play *as* Chris Avellone in the high school RPG. Then maybe it gets my vote. ;)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Glad to see a lot of fans of the series and interest from the few people who noticed the post. I wish I personally could do something to get this project to be more than a dream. I honestly believe the world of Firefly is so varied and full of interesting cultures with unique bits of our familiar past that it makes for a rich and fun world to explore. I would love to find a way to adventure on some terraformed moon and make a small enough fortune to buy a ship and have the companions I find along the way become the crew. I can imagine uncovering secret Blue Sun plots and fighting in old western standoffs all while trying to stay one step away from a possible Reaver evasion.

It sure is a world I would want to play a cRPG in.

• Like 1

I can't say for certain it was my question on the livestream - several were asking "firefly or farscape" for some reason - but I did pose the question a few times about whether they'd like to do an RPG based on a Whedon property, like Angel or Firefly. After I asked it a few times and someone(s) else got them to praise Firefly a few times, others started asking "Firefly RPG?" as well. :)