Chris Avellone playing Arcanum

I wonder whether he will play through just the main quests... or go for the whole package, including all sidequests, shrines to the old gods and the likes. That might take a while :D

"Was du nicht kennst, das, meinst du, soll nicht gelten? Du meinst, daß Phantasie nicht wirklich sei?

Aus ihr allein erwachsen künft'ge Welten: In dem, was wir erschaffen, sind wir frei."

- Michael Ende, Das Gauklermärchen

MCA vs. Arcanum still a bit of a mystery?

Once they put up the you tube footage (fingers crossed for that), he'll talk about about his perceptions of Arcanum and answer the question as to why it took $4M to convince him to play the game :grin: !

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

We should give him a green shirt!

Green Shirt Girl ROCKS!!!

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

Seeing that they put it up as a stretch goal, I will expect the playthrough to be accessible by everyone, for the sake of accountability, among other reasons. And I also expect the session to last more than 5 mins. - this point is on faith, I trust Chris will give his backers their money's worth.

I suggest YouTube for the streaming, and please include it in the documentary for us to enjoy forever.

When it was said that he WOULD play Arcanum I simply assumed that meant a full, proper play through. Anything less than, at least, the main quest line would be a total cop-out.

My hope is that Avellone will be inspired by some of the more inane options during the character creation process and just totally run with it.

I hope you mean "insane" and not "inane"... :shifty:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

My hope is that Avellone will be inspired by some of the more inane options during the character creation process and just totally run with it.

Well, inane means "silly" among other things...

Well, inane means "silly" among other things...

Yeah, but its silly as in foolish not silly as in funny. It means "insubstantial, lacking significance, meaning or point"

Synonyms for inane are: vacuous, empty, senseless, blank, foolish, and vacant.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Not sure I like Chris that much, no offense. It was originally quoted that he'd play at 3.6 than it was changed to 4.0. He also stated on Ustream that it would not be a full play-through which I don't care about. I think one of my biggest worries with this guy is if he doesn't want something there's a 99% chance it won't be in the game. Now the rest of the team I love, but i'm a little iffy on that Chris guy.

• Like 1

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

My only hope is that he gets some of the mods to fix bugs and resolution issues. I know I enjoyed the game WAY more after discovering those mods sometime last year.

Edited by Hatori1181

Gamer extraordinaire, Go enthusiast, Sentai fan, coffee connoisseur, hopeless romantic, Zen buddhist, terrible speller. At the same time.

Someone else asked this question as well, is it established why MCA dislikes Arcanum and what are the reasons?

Chris did an interview with Gamestar.ru where he said this:

"Lack of balance is the great destroyer, and while it's been in a number of recent titles, it's not a recent development. Lack of combat balance and any need for tactics - so much so that the combats are so easy that you don't have to do much to win or vary your combat style - is pretty crippling. One RPG in the past I've never played because I'm aware there's one low-level spell that makes the critical choice with your character progression in the game meaningless because that spell is overpowered."

After I read that, I wondered if he meant Arcanum (magic in the game is generally considered overpowered). But who knows?

Anyway, I hope he does stream it, and I also hope he at least tries out playing a low intelligence character. I tried playing as a simple-minded half-orc once, and the dialogue is hilarious. People actually treat you like an idiot and take advantage of you, and your character doesn't know any better. Best dumb dialogue ever.

Something that set Torment apart – we had a good chunk of the story, dialogues and the flow of the narrative laid out before production began. This was key. If I had the power and funding to sit down for a year and script a spiritual successor out, then we built from there, I would do that, but that process is something no publisher would agree to – you're constantly under the gun, either as an internal or external developer (Josh Sawyer had to write the Icewind Dale 2 storyline over the course of a weekend, for example – he did a great job, but that's not an ideal way to write a story). Generally, you have two-to-four weeks.

Chris said this quite a long time ago. Makes me even more excited for PE seeing as they have a very long time to develop the story for this game. I'm really looking forward to Sawyer's works.

Edited by Loranc

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Something that set Torment apart – we had a good chunk of the story, dialogues and the flow of the narrative laid out before production began. This was key. If I had the power and funding to sit down for a year and script a spiritual successor out, then we built from there, I would do that, but that process is something no publisher would agree to – you're constantly under the gun, either as an internal or external developer (Josh Sawyer had to write the Icewind Dale 2 storyline over the course of a weekend, for example – he did a great job, but that's not an ideal way to write a story). Generally, you have two-to-four weeks.

Chris said this quite a long time ago. Makes me even more excited for PE seeing as they have a very long time to develop the story for this game. I'm really looking forward to Sawyer's works.

didnt you just say you didnt like him lol

No! I said that down there.

Not sure I like Chris that much

I hope they use Youtube; live streaming just doesn't offer the quality required for a game like this. This is a game where being able to read the text matters, and that almost certainly requires upscaling the source to 1080p or better. My recording process (really simple to set up):

- Set the game to its regular resolution, or if I use the widescreen mod, something close to its native resolution (960x600 for 16:10 monitors)

- Record in lossless quality using Fraps

- Upscale to 1200p in Virtual Dub using its Lanczos3 filter

- Output to h264 avi (using x264vfw) at about 22 CRF

For IE games this results in incredibly high quality for about 15MB/min which is very reasonable, since you spend so much time on static screens reading dialogue, there's not much movement to encode.

Which results in this (view in "Original" quality fullscreen to appreciate):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHF6g6vZso0

This looks basically as good as playing the game on your own machine, it's hard to tell it's actually video playing.

Edited by Zeckul
  • Like 1

Gotcha, no worries. I just found it funny

Gotcha, no worries. I just found it funny

I'm actually glad you asked because I don't want people thinking I hate or don't like him for certain. I'm just not quite sure how I feel about him at this current moment. I figure a few months and a few updates into the game and i'll probably fall in love with him. In a non sexual bromance kind of way.

• Like 1