Who is brave enough for an Trial of Iron first playthrough?

An idea I've been toying with for awhile.

The idea is, on any difficulty, but preferably at least normal, do your first playthrough before you know much about the game with Trial of Iron mode on. Every fight will be that much scarier, every success will be that much more meaningful and thrilling, pushing the limits of your health bar (not to be confused with the stamina bar) will be that much more dangerous. If a companion dies, you have to shoulder the loss and move on and fight in their memory (here's to hoping that Obsidian programs in teammate reactions to death of party members).

On the flipside, you're almost certainally gonna die before you finish the game due to lack of knowledge about the game mechanics and encounters.

So who here is brave enough? :)

Edited by Blackstream

I'm a challenge whore, so me more than likely.

The only thing I don't like in difficulty settings is having random effects at higher difficulties, like spell memorization and hp gain per level. Randomly deciding your character only gets 1 hp this level since your difficulty is higher is sad for me :\

The only thing I don't like in difficulty settings is having random effects at higher difficulties, like spell memorization and hp gain per level. Randomly deciding your character only gets 1 hp this level since your difficulty is higher is sad for me :\

Hopefully it won't be something that broken. That would sort of defeat the purpose. I could see a small random range that is used to calculate what your character might get based on what has happened. I don't want randomness to gimp me though.

Just Expert and hard difficulty first, as I assume I'll want that for every playthrough. Then we'll see about Trial of Iron.

• Like 1

I definitely am. I usually start over after sinking a few hours into an RPG anyway, because of the whole gaining knowledge about the game mechanics thing.

That's a good point. With Trial of Iron, you can let the game restart things for you :) You play through, learn about the game, have an epic story, then when you die, you should know how you actually wanna go about playing and building characters. What skills fit your playstyle, what classes and companions to go for, how to approach encounters, etc.

I'm planning on Expert first.

But about the random bit... I totally forgot about that in the other games. Random low/mid-level loot is okay, randomness with modifiers in combat is always great, but stats on leveling? That always rubbed me the wrong way.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Hopefully it won't be something that broken. That would sort of defeat the purpose. I could see a small random range that is used to calculate what your character might get based on what has happened. I don't want randomness to gimp me though.

yeah, my main issue in BG was randomly being gimped on hp, especially at early levels where it's so damn crucial.

Well, first I would need to make sure this game is VEEERY stable. I tried Iron Man mode in Troika's Elemental Evil, only to have my game crash in the first level of the temple and the save game become corrupted. Game over. :(

I don't ever want to repeat that experience.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I'll stick with expert mode I think, might enable some of the extra stuff from the added difficulty modes but won't be playing straight up Trial of Iron.

"How was I supposed to know it was that stone that held the dragons at bay... I mean it just stood there looking dull anyway"

I tend to play on easier difficulties my first time through, then play harder difficulties after. The main reason is on my first play through I play for the story, then after that I play for the challenge.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Definitely going with Expert and Hard first. I am going to die so not much point putting Trial of Iron on until I'm confident I can win the game without dying.

Path of the Damned ... well if it's anything like Icewind Dale 1's HoF mode then you won't even be able to damage the first monster at level 1. I think IWD2 was different.

Definitely expert mode and maybe even "Path of the Damned" too, but like somebody mentioned above I need to be 99.9% sure that the game is stable to live on just one save. This isn't meant as knock on Obsidian because they've gotten a somewhat bad rap for games with stability problems, it's just that RPGs are so damned complicated, that it's almost impossible to release a nearly bug free game at release.

I'll stick with expert and hard to begin with, I think. I expect I'll be going with those every time. After the first playthrough, though... then I shall go for the Trial of Iron and Path of the Damned. At the same time. Should be fun.

Path of the Damned ... well if it's anything like Icewind Dale 1's HoF mode then you won't even be able to damage the first monster at level 1. I think IWD2 was different.

If anything, I've always found Icewind Dale II's to be harder. You'd be quite doomed at first level with either of them, I think.

knightofchaoss.jpg

IWD 2 HoW mode was for high leveled parties, its like a new game+ mode. There is no way you can even complete tutorial part with a fresh party holding staves :)

Slayer Knights of Xvim, oh how i hate thee!

Edited by cyberarmy

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100