Hey there, first of all I'd like to say that I really appreciate your initiative. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who felt that these games from early 2000's had something that we hardly see nowadays.

However, even after checking the website and faq section, I'm still a bit lost, so if any of my questions have already been answered in another topic, please redirect me to it.

1 - Is it ready or not? I've seen many posts about its upgrades and progress, but nothing about when it would be finished.

2 - Does contributing to Kickstarters guarantee me a full version of it when it's released?

Regards to everyone

Bruno

Edited by DJKajuru

1) Early work has started on it, and an early estimate of April 2014 was provided a month ago, when the expected budget was approximately $1.1m. While the estimate has not been revised, it is expected that development will take longer since the budget, and therefore the scale of the game, will now be 3-4 times larger.

2) Provided your pledge is $25 or more, yes. Pledges below $25 are considered good will donations.

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

While the estimate has not been revised, it is expected that development will take longer since the budget, and therefore the scale of the game, will now be 3-4 times larger.

I thought they were using the increased budget to hire more people (maintaining the same schedule), not to keep the same amount of people working longer.

While the estimate has not been revised, it is expected that development will take longer since the budget, and therefore the scale of the game, will now be 3-4 times larger.

I thought they were using the increased budget to hire more people (maintaining the same schedule), not to keep the same amount of people working longer.

I was of the same opinion as well, I haven't read anything to suggest otherwise...

I think for a project of this size release date slippage will be inevitable.

Yes, thanks to the increased budget more staff can be hired to create additional content. But the core group of lead designers remain the same, and unless they are willing to delegate a lot of their authority and risk losing control of the game's direction, there will be too few of them to go around to keep to the original schedule.

• Like 1

Personally, I would prefer to wait longer for the game than for them to either rush or, as Kilroy noted, risk having the initial developers lose control of the game's direction. That said, it is well within the realms of possibility for them to hire more staff without that happening.

Brown Bear- attacks Squirrel
Brown Bear did 18 damage to Squirrel
Squirrel- death

I suspect the release date may end up slipping a bit, but it sounds like Unity has been fairly "easy" to work with so far which may cut down on the really tedious/time-consuming stuff like replicating animations and prototyping. That said, if it comes out in June 2014 or so I wouldn't be shocked ... and that's OK.

A year and a half is a fairly short amount of time for a game's development. Obsidian already has a good start, but if they miss next April, then they miss it. I think they should take as long as they need to make it the best game possible.

As long as we don't end up with another "Duke Nukem Forever", at least.

(\)(;,,;)(/)

Cthulhu/Dagon

Vote Elder Party!

In one of the earlier interviews with Feargus (I think it was a podcast, possible the Neverwinter Nights podcast or the Pure Sophistry interview) he said that the release would probably be pushed back as the scope of the game increased with each stretch goal. As such, I suspect that we will be looking at a later release date than April 2014.

I think it was in one of these, but it's late and I don't feel like listening to them again to double check right now.

Pure Sophistry interview:

http://www.puresophistry.com/2012/09/21/project-eternity-radio-interview-with-feargus-urquhart-ceo-of-obsidian-entertainment/

NWN Podcast:

http://www.nwnpodcast.com/nwnp/2012/09/29/nwnp-podcast-episode-168-obsidian-entertainment-project-eternity-kickstarter/#podPressPlayerSpace_1

I would rather have a great game then a buggy pos. Let the guys at OE do what they need to do and if there is a sixth month delay be happy they care that much.

Remember this may be the last chance the genre has. The KS was an amazing success especially considering what they originally asked for. But the retail release needs to be a huge success as well if we are going to see more games of this type start to get made.

Pecked out with tapatalk so excuse anything that doesn't sound right auto correct is unh at best

1) Early work has started on it, and an early estimate of April 2014 was provided a month ago, when the expected budget was approximately $1.1m. While the estimate has not been revised, it is expected that development will take longer since the budget, and therefore the scale of the game, will now be 3-4 times larger.

2) Provided your pledge is $25 or more, yes. Pledges below $25 are considered good will donations.

If you did the $20 level on kickstarter you will receive the full game. This was a pre-order only and you'll likely never see that low of a pre-order level again.

You may have heard of Brooks’s Law: adding manpower to a late software project makes it later.

Granted, this project is not yet late, but it has been almost quadrupled in size. And even if most of the work were not an issue, you can’t get the storyline finished faster by adding people to it. Two authors won’t write a novel faster than one would; nine women won’t deliver a baby in one month.

Certain things take time. And certain things that take time can only be done after other things that take time have been done.

Also, certain people – not the whole team, but still at least one or two – need to keep the whole game in their heads. And even if they had everything ready to go when they started the project (which I doubt), they’d now have to restart anyway