Most developer/modderfriendly XP system...

So, a lot of discussion on the XP system. I will say I will be dissapointed if Obsidian decides to turn around and re-introduce XP per foe.

And since we're so soon into development, why not use a system that's so userfriendly for developers (and thus, modmakers) that it saves time for so much more content. And has an inherent infinite fix? And flexability to kill stuff after peace and still get some XP?

The system I propose:

Instead of spreading out the XP everywhere, in monster files, dialogs, quests etc. there will be one central XP file. And it's simply a list with the XP-name on the left and the XP-value on the right.

Super easy to create and modify.

This list would be stored in the savegame and adjusted approximately. That does mean any potential savegames need updating if any tweaks are made after release in a patch though, sure.

Now what is that for? For every XP-improvement in the game. Every objective/quest etc. has a spicific XP-name (matching the value set before). Now when the function is called all the entirety of the XP-value set in the above file is overhauled to the player. When modifying encounters thus no longer you have to seek for the specific encounter, just look in the XP-file.

But of course, it would be kind of bad if it just worked as that. If the XP-function is passed "as is" the entirety of the XP is given. However if a value is applied instead so much XP is given IF the XP-value in the file allows so much. If not the XP-value is given (if 0 that means nothing). Probably confusing without example, so here's an example.

"RedDragonFight" has a value of 8 (so 8 XP). Since it's a big fight and the peace resolution is far easier that one is set to "5". So you now have the following situtation;

* Killing the dragon wileds 8XP

* Making peace wields 5XP

* Making peace wiedls 5XP, killing the dragon afterwards wields 3XP, not 8XP (since the value was 8, drained by 5 by peace, so 3 remained. And even if it called for 8XP it did only give 3 since the XP-value only allowed so much).

And that without having to add scripts to check wheter you made peace and therefore lower the XP reward, or giving insane extra XP for doing both. And if you want to make fighting the dragon more rewarding just change the value to 9. And you don't need to modify a creature file, or modify a script to give more XP if you made peace and then kill, it's all there in just modifying a single value.

Of course it can be used for much than 2 options. Does a NPC need 3 parts and each need to give 3XP? Assign 9 as questvalue and to the script that gives XP give 3. Added bonus is that if some bug allows you to keep talking the NPC and gather XP-bonusses this also prevents an infinite exploit since once the value's drained, the value's drained.

This system would severly lower the "if, else" of XP giving most other complex RPG systems would require to imply, or otherwise risking giving the player multiple rewards each of the complete full value. I can see it saving developers and modders a great deal of time, especially during the balancing phase. And it allows for the player to do what they want. You don't need to remove that party or make them non-killable after you slipped by and got stealth XP in fear of giving double-rewards. If you kill them the XP-reward triggers, notices it's drained and gives nothing.

So, anyone see any events where such a system would break, what would be easier, if this actually sounds really hard (as modmaker) to use, problems, additions, anything else?

I would look forward to hear constructive feedback, either positive or negative...

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Interesting idea. The fundamental problem IMO with CRPGs is the inability to do on the fly calculations for XP. PnP games give it at the end of the session and makes modifications based on what happened. Killed the monster: 500xp, talked around it: 500xp, found a away around it then backtracked to kill it: 500zp . In CRPGs its harder to do this and results in giving XP for quests, kills, etc. because you can't determine during programing time what the player will do. Any system that would allow more flexible XP awards would be welcome, I just don't know how easy it would be to implement such a system and/or make it mod friendly.

Rub my belly....you know you want to...give in to the temptation...and don't mind the resulting love scratches and bites.

Implementing yes. But I think the time's worth it since it will be saved during development, especially when going to the balancing stage.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

True. One of the reasons I never really got into modding was that stuff is just so burried that its a wonder how the game made in the first place (and that's just from nested dialog trees).

Rub my belly....you know you want to...give in to the temptation...and don't mind the resulting love scratches and bites.