KOTOR 2 and Untreal Tornement 2004

The first thing to think of is that well ones a RPG and the other a FPS. But wouldn't Unreal tournement be MUCH more replayabile that KOTOR2? IN Unreal you can play if over and over and over. What can the devs do with this single player game to make it continusaly replayable? I think have to so many story choices that the game would have to played at least 20 times to do all the combinations? Comments?

The first thing to think of is that well ones a RPG and the other a FPS. But wouldn't Unreal tournement be MUCH more replayabile that KOTOR2? IN Unreal you can play if over and over and over. What can the devs do with this single player game to make it continusaly replayable? I think have to so many story choices that the game would have to played at least 20 times to do all the combinations? Comments?

Replayability is irrilevant, all that matters it's the experience.

I think there's a few games that could compete with Tetris in terms of replaybilty, does that mean Tetris is the greatest game ever created ?!? Would you go out and pay 50$ for a revamped version of the game ?!? Hey, it's level of replayibility it's all that matters, right ?!?

Wrong. The whole idea is completely bogus. You can play UT as many times as you want but the overall experience will always be minimal, and you'll propably forget about your gaming sessions once they are over.

A great RPG ?!? I think you will remember that one time experience for a VERY long time...

I think there's a few games that could compete with Tetris in terms of replaybilty, does that mean Tetris is the greatest game ever created ?!? Would you go out and pay 50$ for a revamped version of the game ?!? Hey, it's level of replayibility it's all that matters, right ?!?

Wrong. The whole idea is completely bogus. You can play UT as many times as you want but the overall experience will always be minimal, and you'll propably forget about your gaming sessions once they are over.

A great RPG ?!? I think you will remember that one time experience for a VERY long time...

Actually, you could get a lot of spinoff products and unoffcial sequels to Tetris, like Twintris (multiplayer Tetris), Hextris etc. So yes, people did spend $ on revamped versions :p

(Breathe slowly, I'm only teasing you...)

Come to think of it, I can only remember one game where the experience truly stood out in my memory (PS:T) and its not for lack of trying over a period of 21 years of gaming. Ah well, perhaps "The Matrix" (the original 1984 version by Llamasoft perhaps)

Thing is, Its how you remember the game 5 years after, not how many times you remember playing it. I used to play Quake 2 deathmatches to the point of dropping unconscious in front of my screen, but never felt any withdrawal symptons leaving it behind, the game was "shallow" entertainment. I expect more from a roleplaying game where I engage, not only a single chemical substance (adrenaline), but also a host of hormones as a result of an emotional journey. If the price is sacrificing replayability, then bye bye replayability :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I expect more from a roleplaying game where I engage, not only a single chemical substance (adrenaline), but also a host of hormones as a result of an emotional journey. If the price is sacrificing replayability, then bye bye replayability  :p

I knew there was a reason I liked you :p You make perfect sense :D

I knew there was a reason I liked you :p You make perfect sense :D

:)

Oh, and thanks for persuading me into buying Kotor, great game :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Have you played Knights of the old republic? Not only was the story amazing, but the rest of the game was absolutely fantastic. There were a few issues with it, but it was still a fantastic game, and does actually have excellent replayability. And UT2004 single player has FAR worse replayability than KOTOR. Only multiplayer has any replayability for that game. And it is an excellent game, but they are totally different.

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Replayability is irrilevant, all that matters it's the experience.

Hi!

In my case I would go for "entertaining replayability". That's the key word. You know, IMO Tetris isn't quite fun in terms of anything other than simple addictiveness which is often viewed at as replayability. Anyway, Tetris doesn

I have nothing special to say here.

Replayability and non-linearity are two elements whose importance is often blown out of proportions, IMO. PS:T is linear; KotOR is linear. Both are rich in story, writing, and characters, but don't offer that much replay value (aside from "try this quest the different way, try a different party composition, explore all the nooks and crannies..."). Both, however, are some of the most memorable experiences I've had with RPGs. The first time I played either of them was almost magical. So yes, give me this kind of game over the "replayable, non-linear" games the likes of, uh, Morrowind any day.

Guest Surlent

Not lots of ppl seem to praise UT, so I'll give it a shot.

UT has huge replaying value and it's not only for adrenaline junkies.

The clan community offers social interaction as well.

Modes like Assault and CTF are trying to add something more to do than just

mindless violence and random shooting.

Most linear RPGs especially console RPGs don't have much replay value at all and

once your through of it, well, then you either got some special kicks from it or then not.

In the case of good RPGs you can actually play them again.

However DnD RPGs like IWD2 and BG2 offer some replay value in form of several available classes from which you get not to choose all so on purpose you miss some of them.

Next time choosing the classes you didn't choose first time makes the experience more or less different.

But in UT the whole experience can differ depending who ppl play, what mode they

play, do they use mods .... etc.

So it has lots of potential to last in people's interest.

RPGs like BG2 or Arcanum that last long however don't need that much replayability,

since even completing them once takes countless hours.

But what comes to KoTR2 is hard to say, because we know so little about it.

UT2004 is by far my favourite incarnation of the UT series to date, and it's a REALLY good fun game. But comparing it to KOTOR or BG2 is really quite daft as they are TOTALLY different. Not just a little, but totally.

Oh and i concur, console rpgs are generally terrible. Not KOTOR though (I have it on PC myself, and i know there are a few significant updates for only PC people even with the xbox DLC :D )

Comparing UT2004 to KOTOR is ridiculous. If you want UT style action go play Jedi Knight. KOTOR is not a hack and slash game where your ability to mash keys and click mouse buttons determines who's the better player. I played the original KOTOR 5 times something I've never done on any single player game before. Why? Because each time I found something different in the game, each time I played it through a little differently. Sometimes I was a straight force user that stayed out of the frontline battle, other times I just built a tank and with dual sabers in hand mowed down everything in my path. I have UT2004 and play it all the time online but when all is said and done you're going to play a FPS the same way you play all FPS everytime. I'll be the first to admit that I went into KOTOR not knowing much about it and thinking it was going to be a Jedi Knight style game. But once I got over that shock I was pleasantly surprised.

If you want UT style action go play Jedi Knight.

Except Jedi Knight is slow, boring and isn't anywhere near UT on a competitive level.

At least that is a valid comparison :rolleyes:

UT2004 is infinitely more replayable than Knights, but Knights is a more entertaining single player game by a LONG shot. UT's single player is there to get you practice to play real opponents.

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*