In-Game Advertising

So, kickstarter has many good aspects, especially since it lets us have games we would not normally get because publishers do not wish to take the risk. But due to the way developers run their drive `$$$ for a named NPC´, `$$$ for a tavern´, `$$$ for a weapon´ and so on. It leaves a large space for a company to abuse and use as a form of cheep advertising.

It sprung to mind when I noticed Obsidians like of kerfuffles marshmallows and their (Perhaps joking) idea to add a kerfuffles monster, with the addition that their memorial stone would essentially be a form of advertisement for their product.

Personally I despise advertisements in games, when I hand over money I do not want `Buy my product!´ shoved in my face, even if they try to do it discretely. Mod tools is an advantage and lessens that worry though.

Do you think this approach is right or wrong? Do does it bother you or are happy that it helps fund the game? How do you want Obsidian to tackle this?

No ads of any sort at any point in the game or during the installation process. We backed the project in full and beyond. If Obsidian wishes to do an ad to raise awareness, then do it through traditional media like a TV ad, or a trailer on Youtube.

The company advertisement is traditionally in the opening credits; everybody is comfortable with that so I don't know why they would change the model and risk hurting their reputation.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

This epic boss battle is brought to you by Pepsi!

OT: No, in game advertising should not be allowed at all, even if it comes as a donor name request, that name should be denied.

Kerfluffles has become kind of an inside joke in the comments section of the PE page and I highly doubt anything more substantial than an easter egg will end up in the final game.

xb_s1ghtunseen.gif

Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.- Tyrion Lannister

The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die. -Eddard Stark

I'm not sure what you're talking about, OP. Would someone mind adding a quote or a link to this?

From update 23 on the kickstarter page:

Project Eternity Playing Cards Add-On

As a fun new add-on for Sunday, we are now offering Project Eternity playing cards for $10. Designed by Scott Everts, one of our longtime technical artists who worked on Black Isle’s Infinity Engine games, and does a lot of work on board games, he designed this beautiful set which will feature characters and maybe critters (Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful anyone?) from Project Eternity. Check out the Project Eternity Add-On List on how to add-on items to your pledge. (Please note: Playing Cards only available to tiers including physical items. For digital tier folks, we’ll hopefully sell these as a future store offering.)

Also lots of random silly comments in the comments section about paladin burning and kerfluffles...

xb_s1ghtunseen.gif

Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.- Tyrion Lannister

The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die. -Eddard Stark

This is a high fantasy role playing game. What could you possibly advertise in it?

LARPing gear ?

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't like ads at all. I can understand if ads appear in free versions of a game where u can buy the game to get rid of them (like in games for the mobile phone) but that is where my tolerance of ads pretty much ends. :)

There may be some games, where I think it isn't a big problem (like in soccer-games, also in real soccer matches there are always ads on the sideline), but still I would rather see gamedevelopers making fun of ads instead of taking money for making real productplacement in their games.

so I hope they will check all names that are implemented in the game very carefully for hidden advertisments.

Edited by Rink

I think something like Kerfuffles is more then fine, and has more to do with community then with some sort of mentality to squeeze every dollar out of the game by including advertising. I think this is a non-issue for this game.

On the broader topic though, I think we are starting seeing more advertising in the large production games from major producers. I am of the opinion that since Kickstarter campaigns potentially allow developers to internally produce titles outside of the traditional producer-developer model, it will actually reduce in game advertising on smaller titles.

The creators always have the last say on any naming rights. otherwise rivals would promote there own game within it or rich trolls would be little b@st@rds and fill projects with filth.

Although I can see big in game advertising being done like this in the future deliberately. As the AAA market becomes the AAAA market with ever more bloated budgets I could easily see a big publisher allowing a fast food chain to name a building where whole game events take place.

I don't see it being a problem for small development projects though as common sense and love of the work tends to have more say than a chequebook.

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

So what exactly is the difference between an easter egg and an actual advertisement when the process is identical?

If they included a monster called The Big Mac I am sure their would be outrage, so what makes Kerfuffles any different? Keep in mind a good number of people do not even know what the company is so being an easter egg is fairly ambiguous at best.

I have no intention on singling Kerfuffles out, but what is stopping another larger company that people have much less respect for doing something similar? A Tavern called the the Electronic Art Inn, run by a man called E. A. Redwood that sells a magical shield called The Bioware. To me without some sort of moral stance by the developers, the potential is fairly worrying, not that Obsidian would kowtow to such practices or demands from high rolling supporters, though they have not really stated an opinion on the subject either.

Edited by Aedelric

You are beginning to get hysterical people. What's next? Will you start worrying that Obsidian will sell our souls to EA? Calm down, please.

No, it is just a valid discussion, do not get all drama queen about it. *rolls eyes*

Edited by Aedelric

So what exactly is the difference between an easter egg and an actual advertisement when the process is identical?

If they included a monster called The Big Mac I am sure their would be outrage, so what makes Kerfuffles any different? Keep in mind a good number of people do not even know what the company is so being an easter egg is fairly ambiguous at best.

I have no intention on singling Kerfuffles out, but what is stopping another larger company that people have much less respect for doing something similar? A Tavern called the the Electronic Art Inn, run by a man called E. A. Redwood that sells a magical shield called The Bioware. To me without some sort of moral stance by the developers, the potential is fairly worrying, not that Obsidian would kowtow to such practices or demands from high rolling supporters, though they have not really stated an opinion on the subject either.

Because Kerfuffles is almost a meme of the PE kickstarter campaign, it is a fun inside joke for super fans that supported and followed the project. It’s not from a large corporate entity, it’s from another Kickstarter project that was going around the same time. It’s about having fun during kickstarter and supporting other kickstarter projects.

Intent and setting.

First off advertising has to have a financial incentive from the advertiser. The likelihood that Pepsi is going to spring $500 to put something like "Ogbart

Born 321 Died 340 due to lack of Pepsi" that is going to be seen at best (atm) by ~70,000 people worldwide is pretty low (compare that to putting Pepsiman in SEGA's Saturn version of Fighting Vipers which was presumed to reach the Japanese installed userbase for the Saturn (the character was not used in US and UK markets). Add that that many players may never find the tombstone...unlikely there would be any appeal for the company to spend advertising dollars this way.

Second I think Easter Eggs are built in ways that fit the setting. This may be a unique monster, but it may also be the D&D Cartoon kids portraits in BG2 or some of the Fallout 2 easter eggs like the TARDIS appearing (which fits in with the sci-fi setting of FO2 at least, as opposed to the TARDIS appearing in IWD).

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So you two are saying advertising is fine, so long as it is unintentional or from a large corporation? Personally I see it from the perspective of one is as bad as another, no matter the meme or intention behind the advertising.

I wonder if any supporters have back with the intention of abusing a generous high level backer reward for their own purposes, really that is not something we can find out till release or unless Obsidian tell us they have a process to avoid such issues. I have a feeling things will be fine and we do have the ability to mod the game which is a cause for relief.

Advertising has it's place in the game - in the opening sequence and in the rolling credits following the game's completion. I have little doubt that Obsidian will respect the in-game boundaries. I do not think they will include blatant advertisement to detract from their game world. And, if there is a company who wants to donate $1,000.00 to Project Eternity to create an NPC named, "Drinka Gatoraid" or "Ivaunta HaagenDaaz," then it will be Obsidian's call to allow or deny. Obsidian did note that all fan content will need to fit within the context of the world. Which means that this kind of silliness will be screened out. I think this is something of a non-issue.

Edited by Winter Wolf