@Fellow Obsidian Order Members: I'm getting scared.

So far I haven't seen a problem.

Feargus said they'll probably use the order and the total number of members as a reference in the game, someone made a thread about thanking Faradan or whatever by using that name too. It was just a suggestion afaik.

The Obsidian Order stands for this:

To support Obsidian knowing this studio will do its best (and more!) to make a RPG worthy of the title: Classic in the Genre.

Any and all 'demands' made in our name are made by those with a misguided sense of entitlement, which goes against the very idea of the Order.

We are a collection enthusiasts; of supporters; of well-wishers.

That at least, is what I feel my title stands for - a custom title that is a generous token of appreciation in itself.

• Like 7

Chronicler of the Obsidian Order; for the pen is mightier than the sword!

There's nothing to be scared of, there'll always be people with differing views and expectations on every subject. The OO so far as I know was a jokey creation designed to raise a little more pledge money with zero expectations of reward. And I'd massively prefer it stay that way without people making demands of developers for any representation in game or special merchandise. Ideas and suggestions for the game are fine, that's what we're all on the forums for, but expecting to be treated as something special is offensive.

It's sad someone so vocally supportive of the game has gone but that's their choice if they felt the game no longer held to the initial promise of an old-school RPG. In the big scheme of things it's not a massive deal. If people let it and don't start being meoldramatic these niggles will blow over very quickly. As someone earlier said, storm in a teacup.

Edited by Clammo

Well, this is a gaming forum on a business website for a product yet to enter development, not a psychological counseling corner...

They owe us one thing only; to listen. I don't think they should or will implement every thing we come up with or whine about, but they shouldn't ignore us either. Just to read what we have to say and take it with a grain (or spoonful) of salt is more than enough.

Inviduals voicing their opinion is fine. Not exactly in a demanding matter though, though this is sometimes unavoidable in a internet forum.

However using the group/order isn't.

I don't understand your last comment. Using? Exactly how has Obsidian used the Order for their own nefarious marketing purposes?

KS Q&A

Question: since you just stated that their will be something special about the obsidian order in the game, does that mean its members get something special? If so you should put that up i am sure you would get many more people doling out the 8 bucks

Feargus: We didn't organize the OO, and we like it that you guys do everything yourselves. So, while we are going to do something for the order in the game - we don't think it make sense to publicize. Maybe sounds like a strange distinction, but it feels better to just let it be something separate from actual Obsidian.

Edited by Ieo
  • Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

@Jasede

Funny, after your comment I couldn't help but notice your avatar. Seems quite huggable to me :)

On topic:

Well what do the devs owes us? Actually only the things under the tiers for which we have pledged.

If you have donated 8$ for a title, then that is what you get: a title.

Pleding on KS or for the 8$ dollar title is actually out of having faith.

You do not know how the game will turn out to be exactly.

In the moment you pledge on it, you should be aware of that.

I wonder: If you pledge on KS or for the title and then put up demands that

the game should be designed to your own whishes - how sincere is your faith then?

And seriously, KS does not work without faith.

There is always the option of waiting for when the game comes out.

Then check some reviews of the community

(better avoid reviews in magazines but thats another story to tell),

then decide if you want to buy it or not.

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Out of curiosity, what exactly happened last night? Can someone point me in the right direction or fill me in?

It's buried somewhere in the update #24 thread. If you really want to know I'd suggest reading the entire thread since everything we tell you will most likely be biased in some way.

As I wrote there isn't really one yet.

But it can expand into something bigger very fast. This is the issue with large fan groups, or any group in general. We have power in a group. We have influence in a group. This is something that comes naturally in a process, it's how unions work. We have certain responsibilities, especially as a fan-group. And we have to discuss them. That's what this thread is about.

@Ieo You're misunderstanding, the group, the order using their influence.

Edited by C2B

The only thing they owe anyone is to try thier best to make the best game they can make.

That's it pretty much. I backed this project because I trust them to make a good game, not an IE clone.

This pic

f9d9320e8c1867d97922be716f5f3bf3_large.jpg

is what got my attention, not the spiritual clone of X game(Though PST certainly had a plot to try and take examples from). There are games in the pic, outside of the IE ones, older or newer ones, which had great in many aspects.

Edited by kenup

Out of curiosity, what exactly happened last night? Can someone point me in the right direction or fill me in?

It's buried somewhere in the update #24 thread. If you really want to know I'd suggest reading the entire thread since everything we tell you will most likely be biased in some way.

Oooo I remember reading that mess.....the whole "what if we get no game and the budget is ruined" discussion that escalated into talks of lawsuits and fraud and so on. I found it quite out of place and distasteful myself to be honest. I have complete faith in Obsidian's ability to deliver.

1zq6793.jpg

Oooo I remember reading that mess.....the whole "what if we get no game and the budget is ruined" discussion that escalated into talks of lawsuits and fraud and so on. I found it quite out of place and distasteful myself to be honest. I have complete faith in Obsidian's ability to deliver.

Errr, no. It had to do with xp for objectives that Obsidian is thinking of implementing vs xp for kills as in the old IE games, as well as the ideas about the stamina/health system.

Errr, no. It had to do with xp for objectives that Obsidian is thinking of implementing vs xp for kills as in the old IE games, as well as the ideas about the stamina/health system.

Seen that one too, didn't comment on it but I just thought obsidian should do whatever they think is best. Still....nowhere near as bad as the whole lawsuit mess. The xp discussion at least made SOME amount of sense and had some semblance of civility.....the other discussion did not.

1zq6793.jpg

This is the internet so random raging is going to happen and should be expected. This is not the first time parts of this community has freaked out and it won't be the last. All we can do is keep calm and remind the community at large what this is and what our role in it is. I'm actually more concerned with this:

Additionally, I think dlux's leaving may have had to do more with unkind words than whatever the developers are planning. :banghead:

I missed anything that happened after dlux pulled their pledge, so everything I know is rather second hand. But I haven't heard anyone else suggest it was other something other than disagreeing with the game direction. What happened and did it have anything to do with other posters?

This is the internet so random raging is going to happen and should be expected. This is not the first time parts of this community has freaked out and it won't be the last. All we can do is keep calm and remind the community at large what this is and what our role in it is. I'm actually more concerned with this:

Additionally, I think dlux's leaving may have had to do more with unkind words than whatever the developers are planning. :banghead:

I missed anything that happened after dlux pulled their pledge, so everything I know is rather second hand. But I haven't heard anyone else suggest it was other something other than disagreeing with the game direction. What happened and did it have anything to do with other posters?

No, he/she left specifically because of the game not being what they expected, nothing to do with any comments afterwards. All this really is a big fuss over not a lot.

• Like 2

I trust Obsidian to make the right call on what is implemented in the game and how. It is possible to pay homage to a classic series of games without making a carbon copy of them. Let's not keep things a certain way just for the sake of keeping things a certain way. More importantly, Obsidian can figure out what will work best in their own game. As far as the Order getting something in the game in its honor, I never expected any such thing, nor do I ask the developers to make it happen. If they do throw us an easter egg, then that's cool, if not then that's fine.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I trust them to put everything they can into this game. I demand nothing. I am not a game designer I'm not telling anyone else how to do their job.

Happy to just be a fan, watching and waiting.

• Like 1

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

If others are curious just go here and click on posts: http://forums.obsidian.net/user/42180-dlux/

;)

I also don't see the problem. Sure it is sad if someone leaves the project that contributed a lot to the community, but there is just no way to please everyone. I personaly will still kill many monsters, because even if you don't get xp, you can still get drops from them. And I surely would not want to miss them :p

They don't owe us anything. It's up to them if they want to listen to suggestions made on this forum. I don't know about you guys, but I put forth $8 in an effort to raise more money for Obsidian (oh, and the custom title as well, brah). Nothing more.

Whomever was expecting a reward exclusively for the OO, please do me a favor and get off your ****. Thank you.

• Like 1

I didn't follow what happened, but reading his post he didn't demand for anything.

He just pointed out what he didn't like about the newly revealed mechanics.

So what? That was totally in his rights and I don't even know why this topic is being discussed the way it is.

You are all blowing this out of proportion.

It could have been a critical discussion about the implementation of stamina concept, xp rewards and base IE mechanics that they are trying to change.

• Like 1

And I didn't state it's specific about dlux but about the reactions.

Which again, aren't a problem YET. But can become so, if we don't discuss the problems and influence of the order. Which we should.

Edited by C2B

As I wrote there isn't really one yet.

But it can expand into something bigger very fast. This is the issue with large fan groups, or any group in general. We have power in a group. We have influence in a group. This is something that comes naturally in a process, it's how unions work. We have certain responsibilities, especially as a fan-group. And we have to discuss them. That's what this thread is about.

@Ieo You're misunderstanding, the group, the order using their influence.

It's a union now? Well then I don't recall giving anybody any dues or the authority to speak on my behalf. Come to think of it, I gave Obsidian my cash on good faith to help them make a game that I want to try in about 18 months.

If somebody makes the mistake of assuming that the OO gives them leverage in steering design decisions, then kindly remove my name from the group. That's not why i "joined."

and the lesson boys and girls is, this is why it's a bad idea to join groups!!!

• Like 5