The Scaling Poll!

How do you feel about scaling?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about level scaling?

• I don't want any scaling whatsover.
    • Minimal scaling (i.e.: only in particular plot areas, only in far-off dungeons, etc.)
    • All levels and encounters completely scaled to my character's level.
    • I leave it in the hands of Obsidian!

BioWare implemented scaling into Dragon Age 2 - look how wonderful it turned out.

They also implemented scaling in Baldur's Gate 2 as far as I remember.

It had reasonable scaling. If you were a high level party, some of the creatures would be replaced by some other creatures, kobold->orc for example

(Or maybe I remember wrong)

I like how people bring up some bad examples of scaling enemies and from that concludes that everything has to be like that. That is a funny, and extremely flawed logic.

It is a bit like saying Lee Harvey Oswald was the man that shot Kennedy, by extension any other man must also shoot a president. It's stupid, crazy and flawed, but it is the same logic.

All it means is that a scaling system should not be like that, and I agree that Oblivion and DA2 had a horrible scaling system. However ruling all scaling out based on those is not possible. If you want to argue that there has never been a good scaling system that is another argument and can be more valid.

In a non-linear game, some sort of level scaling for opponents is required to keep things interesting, but the opponents shouldn't be downscaled only made more powerful within limits.

BG2-Style level scaling is okay for me: have more and / or more dangerous variants of the generic enemies, but cap their power at a certain point (e.g. 3-5 lesser Wolfweres, Wolfweres or Greater wolfweres) but keep the bosses at fixed level (Elder Red Dragon)

Loot-scaling is a no-go, when you successfully fight trough a Level 10-15 dungeon with a level 5 party, You should get the Level 10-15 reward for that achievement. If your level 25 party enters the same dungeon, they should get the same level 10-15 reward for that non-challenge.

"You are going to have to learn to think before you act, but never to regret your decisions, right or wrong. Otherwise, you will slowly begin to not make decisions at all."

I am worried that the scaling will be more noticeable than the Baldur's Gates. To test someone should do a barebones run of the game doing no side content and then do another one doing more and see if the main plot is any different/harder.

I haven't played an Obsidian game since NWN2 vanilla so I can't really comment on what they've been up to since then, but I've heard they've taken on more Bethesda-like scaling since.

Edited by Sensuki

I would really prefer there were no scaling at all.

This also depends on the type of experience system that is in play. If there is no combat experience then this becomes something of a non issue because you will always be a certain level at a certain point, with some variation depending on how many side quests you completed. If that were the case then there would be no need for scaling anyway.

This also depends on the type of experience system that is in play. If there is no combat experience then this becomes something of a non issue because you will always be a certain level at a certain point, with some variation depending on how many side quests you completed. If that were the case then there would be no need for scaling anyway.

Add a bit of non-linearity to the game and that balancing is all over the place. There is other ways to mess it up

Edited by Nerei

Scaling is one of the things I hate the most in RPGs. It just diminishes any feeling of progression for me. I hope there is little to no scaling in PE, it's an oldschool game after all. Cheers guys !

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.