The Scaling Poll!

How do you feel about scaling?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about level scaling?

• I don't want any scaling whatsover.
    • Minimal scaling (i.e.: only in particular plot areas, only in far-off dungeons, etc.)
    • All levels and encounters completely scaled to my character's level.
    • I leave it in the hands of Obsidian!

I feel like it would be more mass hysteria if I pounded out a message in bold caps decrying decisions they may or may not have made. As it is, I was kind of curious how people in general felt about scaling, and tried to make the poll representative of what choices people might take. Sorry if it looked a bit panicky; that was not my intention :)

How about optional scaling? So that you can choose to turn it off entirely or choose 5%, 10%, 20% scaling etc. Or even scale by area. If you know in advance that you want to get to an early area much later in the game you can let the game know this and it can scale up the encounter by doubling or tripling the number of enemies or by giving the enemy party a dragon on their side or something like that. The only valid excuse for scaling IMO is for replay value. So that you can choose different paths and still be sufficiently challenged by the later encounters. And of course scaling should never make things easier. Only more difficult. For me I think the first option would be the safest, but the second option could also be viable as long as it is optional.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I feel like it would be more mass hysteria if I pounded out a message in bold caps decrying decisions they may or may not have made. As it is, I was kind of curious how people in general felt about scaling, and tried to make the poll representative of what choices people might take. Sorry if it looked a bit panicky; that was not my intention :)

You are right. Sorry. Of course, you have the right to satisfy your curiosity.

For me it would really depend on how it is done.

Some scaling can be done without it being noticeable and immersion breaking. Random encounter tables could probably change a bit depending on character levels or some ingame explanation could be used. Also it could be limited a so a given area would be say lvl 5-8 and the npcs would scale with that level range, that way areas could be dynamic without it being too noticeable and extreme.

If they add it though I just hope it will not be like Oblivion where normal animals disappeared as the player levelled and bandits went from wearing leather to ebony and daedric armour.

Depends on how it's done, any of those options is viable.

I agree with the scale encounters, not mobs thread, however.

I would rather not see bandits spawning with +3 vorpal weaponry, but after a certain point bandits and most wildlife should know enough to stay away from the party and leave them the targets of more specialized, better trained assassins and mercenaries instead of just way over-equipped bandits.

If story encounters are scaled, I'd prefer they kept the power level of the bosses and named NPCs constant and just throw in more/better trash mobs as a scaling mechanic.

I would prefer the absence of scaling, as the thrill of encountering enemies much more powerful than yourself by accident or wanton exploration was a big draw for me throughout the Might & Magic series. I am not excessively opposed, however, to the minimal scaling option.

I don't think there is anything more immersion breaking than a PC who does anything without player input. Level-Scaling is a close second though. I don't see why a petty thug should be a challenge for a high-level character or a powerful dragon should be fairly weak for low-level characters.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm not completely opposed to scaling, but I'm not in favor of it, either. In any case, if you design important encounters and the basic game mechanics well, you shouldn't NEED scaling. I mean, yeah, if you design the game so that a level 10 character is 10x as powerful as a level 1 character, then level 1 mooks are a joke when you hit level 10. If you design the game so that a level 10 character is more like 3x as powerful as a level 1 character, but with a lot more flexibility, then even level 1 mooks in quantity can still be problematic, particularly if they're, say, shooting at you from high atop a rise with several trapped switchbacks to climb to get up there.

I consider scaling to be kind of a lazy way out to cover for mediocre AI, encounter, and mechanics design. Granted, doing all of those well is expensive and time-intensive, so it's not The Devil or anything. It's a matter of priorities.

I expect them to skip it for Project: Eternity since they're (hopefully) going to be aiming more towards tactical combat and less toward "spam spells and attacks until everything is dead" style.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

I'm not completely opposed to scaling, but I'm not in favor of it, either. In any case, if you design important encounters and the basic game mechanics well, you shouldn't NEED scaling. I mean, yeah, if you design the game so that a level 10 character is 10x as powerful as a level 1 character, then level 1 mooks are a joke when you hit level 10. If you design the game so that a level 10 character is more like 3x as powerful as a level 1 character, but with a lot more flexibility, then even level 1 mooks in quantity can still be problematic, particularly if they're, say, shooting at you from high atop a rise with several trapped switchbacks to climb to get up there.

I consider scaling to be kind of a lazy way out to cover for mediocre AI, encounter, and mechanics design. Granted, doing all of those well is expensive and time-intensive, so it's not The Devil or anything. It's a matter of priorities.

I expect them to skip it for Project: Eternity since they're (hopefully) going to be aiming more towards tactical combat and less toward "spam spells and attacks until everything is dead" style.

Well, Sawyer did say there would be scaling for the "critical path" storyline quests, but the rest of the world wouldn't be scaled. I don't remember how BG did it, but it did have scaling and was pretty low-key about it. I voted based on his reasoning, which makes sense to me.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Well, Sawyer did say there would be scaling for the "critical path" storyline quests, but the rest of the world wouldn't be scaled. I don't remember how BG did it, but it did have scaling and was pretty low-key about it. I voted based on his reasoning, which makes sense to me.

I have a feeling they will scale the main storyline more than Baldur's Gate did.

The game needs a degree of level scaling if we are to get some freedom in choosing where to go. Otherwise it would just end up more linear than I think most of us would want it to be.

Yes but some areas should be too hard to tackle (yet accessible in order to rub in the fact that they're impossible).

There's nothing quite like the satisfaction from clearing an area that handed you your ass a few levels ago.

A mild amount of level scaling can create a game that has more interesting battles more often. Because you are more likely to enter an area in the right level-range to get combats that are rewarding to win instead of painful, impossible, or just tedious busywork. But there should be limits, otherwise you end up with Oblivion stupidity and no feeling of progression at all.

Skyrim does level scaling, but it does it more or less right. I can go places as a weakling and get slaughtered. And then go back much later and steamroll it. But most of the time, I get a decent challenge. Something like that would be fine.

Insisting there be *no* level scaling at all, not even a 15-25% window of monster strengthening/weakening seems pedantic.

I like the idea of certain things being completely out of my league when I'm a n00b, and dirt easy when I'm all buff. I went with "minimal". I know a guy who hated Oblivion because the scaling was so extreme, that he felt there was almost no point in leveling. I kinda see his point.

I don't see the "NO SCALING" arguement as pedantic. Though, arguing that it's "realistic" might be kind of silly, since the counter-arguement could be made that, "Why do you think that while YOU'RE out levelling like a mad dog that THEY'RE sitting around doing nothing?"

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

Let Obsidian decide, but I'm in favor of minimal scaling. In D&D terms, an encounter designed to be appropriate for a 2nd level party should scale up or down a single level so as to work for levels 1-3. It should not attempt to scale up for a 7th level party. Keep it in blocks of three (e.g. 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, etc.) and things should work out just fine.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/