How will Obsidian fit in the 100+ backer designed NPCs?

Oh, I'm sure there will be PLENTY of space between City 1 and City 2.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I mean that's quite a lot, I hope they can just be people standing around at a tavern or something... I want Avellone and co. to be able to design at least some of the main story NPCs ya know ;)

They will hold oil lamps along the road from Enormous City One to Gargantuan City Two.

Of course, some will be killable.

So a party of foes, already 6 or so NPC's to name (and kill)...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I expect somewhere along the way we'll find 100 named enemy NPCs in a large, cramped room, each with 1 hit point. Which will subsequently be cleared with the equivalent of a single 'fireball' spell.

Ha! Suckers.

Edited by Death Machine Miyagi

I recall one of the obsidian team posted this humorous video

that sort of deals with the subject. Keep in mind Banner Saga only had 20,000 backers, with 70,000+ things should be lively at Obsidian after the kickstarter finishes. :biggrin:

Wow. I guess movie-style posters aren't necessarily ideal as a backer item.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Seeing as how the other 1k tier was to create an EPIC weapon, armor, or wondrous item, I sure hope that these player made NPCs are more than just eye candy. Most player made items in that tier are going to be in high demand. The NPCs should have an equal ability to draw people's attention and further the story.

I think it would be great to have them as quest givers, competition, adversaries, rescuees and rescuers, essential plot hooks, comic relief, etc. The number of player created NPCs should help to bring a breadth of diversity to the game world which helps to make it real.

People will get to fill out a form and choose a name, race and class. OE will then use that how they see fit. Maybe they'll just kill all of them off in the first ingame cinematic in some grand battle.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I suspect many of them will be potential opponents. Note, this is along the lines of an epic magical item. This probably means that most of the NPCs will be high level. We can also guess alot of these NPCs will be fantasy approximations of their designers. We probably won't see them ganging together at the 1000 tier level, but at 5000 we will have to face gangs of brutal adventurers designed by rich people. Eek.

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

I'm very worried about the backer created content. I hope people doesn't feel entitled to design weapons based on 4chan memes or things like that, totally breaking the coherence of the world and lore. Maybe Obsidian should implement an option to deactivate "crazy content", as they did in Fallout NV.

• Like 1

I'm very worried about the backer created content. I hope people doesn't feel entitled to design weapons based on 4chan memes or things like that, totally breaking the coherence of the world and lore. Maybe Obsidian should implement an option to deactivate "crazy content", as they did in Fallout NV.

The price is a pretty large barrier against this, plus Obsidian will have creative control. I am guessing the #1 source for inspiration for most NPCs will be based on player characters from PnP games that backers remember fondly. These will probably have fleshed out back stories that they can provide to Obsidian, ect. There will probably be a few humor ones I am sure, but as long as their aren't a ton of them and are tasteful I think it will work out well.

Edited by Regenshire

Companions might be NPCs, but not all NPCs are companions. The fellow selling baked goods, the lumberjack fearful of dryads or a pack of wargs, a civic guard with a clue regarding one of the quests, the shifty character down by the docks from whom you can buy illicit traps and poisons--all of these generic in-world folks and others like them are prime choices for being protrayed by backers. I'm sure that Obsidian is more than capable of working the mega-buck donors into the game in a way that won't be unduly jarring.

And I say more power to them. After all, who wouldn't want to be an NPC in a superb cRPG?

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I'm sure there will be plenty of space for them, especially with two large cities. Think back to Planescape: Torment or Baldur's Gate, and the sheer number of strange or interesting NPCs you would encounter in the cities, in buildings, or wandering around out in the wilderness in the case of Baldur's Gate; many of whom had associated quests or just a fascinating story to tell. I've never made any attempt at counting them in either game, but I wouldn't be surprised if the total number was well over a hundred. I'm not worried.

knightofchaoss.jpg

To answer the OP's question: Heh, I'd say that in RPGs there's more often a lack of NPCs than a deluge. Lots of places for colourful characters who aren't necessarily big quest npcs. At least, I suppose (hope?) those backer NPCs will be fit into the world like that. Discuss the character with said backer and find a suitable role/location. If done right people won't even know it's a backer-designed character.

I will write a pitch document for my enemy adventuring party design, laying out my concept, suggested implementation and why I think it would be a good addition to the game, Obsidian will decide whether that is something they want to use (even if they do, probably with some adaptation).