Rats need to be first quest

Rats should hold the exact same part cats and mice do, a background part. There is no reason to have them as a creature combatant.

Turbine did something goofy with this in the Menace of the Underdark expansion--in the King's Forest you can kill harmless forest critters (frogs, squirrels, deer, etc.) for no particular reason. Only, if you do it enough, an angry dryad shows up and kicks your ass.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Only if said rats are giant and have heat vision.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Pre level five the IE games (mainly BG1 and IWD) are a total drag. Please no more pathetic level one. Did it really take you the first 20 years of your life to learn 1 spell? Are you really a muscled 40 year old barbarian who can't hit a damn bear with a sword in 10 swings?

Enough is enough with the stupid low level crud. In Infinity engine terms you should start at level 5 or 6. (Though I guess in IWD II, things were a little different? I haven't played it through, but in the first part you could sure kill all the dumb goblin things with ease. Of course it's still stupid that you're supposedly a well known above above average adventuring company starting out as level one from a story perspective. Also, you came to fight but brought no equipment? Really? But I digress...)

PST's cranium rats weren't so bad.

Edited by khango
  • Like 1

A rat swarm, per the D&D v3.5 MM, would be an interesting challenge as a 4 HD monster. I wonder if they will implement monster swarms? That would be a nice improvement over the old IE games. What a joy to see a seething mass of rats coming at the party. :devil:

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I would actually like to see the "rat quest" as some of the last quest of the game. Especially with Stronghold in, we can have a near endgame incident where the PC as the lord of the land/stronghold giving out the rat quest to a party of adventurer.

PC: %^&*! I can't belive I am giving out rat quest!

Stronghold Seneschal: Would you rather handle the rats problem personally, milord :p

• Like 4

Rat quest is is cool idea (it keeps the tradition) I imagine such quest: Someone is missing, the quest-giver tels us the rats are responcible for this. He dont know where they are ( you must find them/ investigate) Nobody believe on this guy, people laugh on him. So you investigate, spot one rat and it run away. You follow it to an old abandoned house. Go inside and goup of rats attack you. Before to kill the last it run back in his hole. You are curious how fiew rats kan kill a man and continue investigating, you spot that the hole is much bigger for the ordinarry rat, but not enough big to make your way in. You start searching for a hidden places. You find weak place in the wall, break it. You find your self in old abandoned and sealed area, fight fiew rats and explore the place. You find a catacombs benith the house and go inside. Fight lots of rats and in the end of the location find the The queen rat. with size of a sheep :) You kill the beast... ( In cases you have more than 18 wisdom you will be abble to make a conversation wit the monster and to understand that it is cursed wizard (one of the best possible companions in the game) and you can probably help hem... this is other epic quest :) And in the end you understand that the rats are not involved in the case with the missing man. You intimidate the quest-giver and learns that they was friends and had quarreled... probably another quest... :)

www.mazhlekov.com

www.portals.mazhlekov.com

You should be told the first quest is to vanquish mighty "giant" rats infesting the (insert tutorial locale here) but then you just walk across them and they splatter, quest complete!

And on the subject of Dishonored's rats, that proved that rats are OP and gamebreaking.

Edited by AGX-17

Pre level five the IE games (mainly BG1 and IWD) are a total drag. Please no more pathetic level one. Did it really take you the first 20 years of your life to learn 1 spell? Are you really a muscled 40 year old barbarian who can't hit a damn bear with a sword in 10 swings?

Enough is enough with the stupid low level crud. In Infinity engine terms you should start at level 5 or 6. (Though I guess in IWD II, things were a little different? I haven't played it through, but in the first part you could sure kill all the dumb goblin things with ease. Of course it's still stupid that you're supposedly a well known above above average adventuring company starting out as level one from a story perspective. Also, you came to fight but brought no equipment? Really? But I digress...)

PST's cranium rats weren't so bad.

What if the tutorial for the game was sort of a "when you were younger trying to learn the ropes as a level 1" which you can skip and it fast-forwards a few years in the future where you're a little higher level/older. This older character would be where you start the actual game. That would let people skip the tutorial part, allow some gameplay at a lower-level, and cuold possibly fit the game story (depending on what that story is).

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

What if the tutorial for the game was sort of a "when you were younger trying to learn the ropes as a level 1" which you can skip and it fast-forwards a few years in the future where you're a little higher level/older. This older character would be where you start the actual game. That would let people skip the tutorial part, allow some gameplay at a lower-level, and cuold possibly fit the game story (depending on what that story is).

Or just fix level 1 characters so that they are a bit more robust. After all, most of the population is supposed to be at 1st level.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• 1 month later...

In Drakensang, because of the wound system, rats are more than a nuisance, specially the rat mother one...

Totally agree on that. A swarm of rats should be able to bring down a lone character, regardless of "level". Their bites should get to unprotected parts of a body (lower legs, back, etc.). Inflated progression systems of health points, armor levels, and weapon damage detract from the basic reality that a swarm of rats should be feared.

I greatly enjoyed the armor system of Drakensang, from feet to head to dodging or parrying, and how poisoned bites went from slight to severe gangrene.

Late-comer to PE

Yeah.. Conga-Rats.

Or better said.. We need Rats, LOTS of Rats.

Cyphre's Companions Pack v0.75.2 | Cyphre's Dual-Wieldable Flails & Heavy Flails v1.2 | Cyphre's PrC Pack v0.75 | Cyphre's Remove Annoying Effects Extension (Tortoise Shell) v1.0

1equwd7qnahnqayd4y2s7xk.jpg

"O, the life of the Druid is the life of the land.

We are one with the dark earth on which we proudly stand.

One with the Mother who has suckled us from birth,

Her streams and her rivers, we are one with the earth;

One with the Father, whose oak supports the sky,

Who gazes on us daily with his great, immortal Eye..."

I'd definitely like the idea of spoofing rat quests, by having us fight a giant, ferocious rat or something. Hell, make it a magical rat that casts spells. A wizard-rat? Maybe he's anthromorphic and can talk. Would be a fun spin on things.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

Meh.

I think it's about time rats are given their due.

They should be the FINAL quest!

.... of the sequel's expansion.

Who'da thunk it. The source of the great evil that has plagued PELand, poisoned and destroyed many a soul were the rats at Bob's tavern all along. Little did anyone, the hero, Bob, or his cat suspect that the rats in his cellar had an expansive kingdom, a plan, and the means to make it happen. At this kingdom's core: the ultimate source of all that has plagued our hero since day one.

Some more twists on "Kill the rats in the basement":

• "The Rats" are really a group of street urchins.
  • Some other group has already killed the rats, and don't like the player interfering.
  • The rats include an intelligent, polymorphed being, who will try to communicate with the player.
  • The rats sought refuge in the basement, as they were escaping from something really nasty crawling through the sewers.

• Like 1