Rats need to be first quest

This is a legendary quest to conquer rats at a tavern, but how many rats can there be...

A great part to this quest could be to add as many rats as there are backers and name each one a backer :)

Close to 70000 rats?

And you want to name each and every one?

Well I guess it beats combat xp.

post-25438-0-03597200-1350393463_thumb.png

I always liked the fight in IWD where you can't get an ale because of giant spiders in the basement (as opposed to rats). Low level party walking into an early fight only to be hit by web and poison? Ouch!

But still fun.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I always liked the fight in IWD where you can't get an ale because of giant spiders in the basement (as opposed to rats). Low level party walking into an early fight only to be hit by web and poison? Ouch!

But still fun.

... Are you sure they weren't non-poisonous beetles? It's been a while, but I'm almost willing to bet that's what they were.

Bards Tale: The Mostly Terrible Remake ARPG had a cool take on the "go killy mah ratsies" quest: a puny-sized, fire-breathing rat that you had to run away from like a good little hero-wannabe. I'd love to see the traditional rat killing get a similar treatment in PE.

I'd love Project Eternity spoofed the rat cellar quest, similarly to how it was done in Age of Decadence.

For reference, AoD has a quest where the player discovers a cellar full of rats. If the PC says that he wants to fight the rats for experience all the people in the area just give him weird looks. :grin:

• Like 1

But still fun.

... Are you sure they weren't non-poisonous beetles? It's been a while, but I'm almost willing to bet that's what they were.

Bards Tale: The Mostly Terrible Remake ARPG had a cool take on the "go killy mah ratsies" quest: a puny-sized, fire-breathing rat that you had to run away from like a good little hero-wannabe. I'd love to see the traditional rat killing get a similar treatment in PE.

yes you are right. My memory lied to me.

There were spiders somewhere early in IWD. I think.

Maybe I should go play it again...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

How about the player discovering a rat nest on his own incentive (while looti... um inspecting the inn's cellar), kills them, and returns to the innkeeper, but instead of the expected reward gets scolded because the rats were the secret ingredients of his famous stew?

• Like 1

"You are going to have to learn to think before you act, but never to regret your decisions, right or wrong. Otherwise, you will slowly begin to not make decisions at all."

A tavern keeper tells you to go kill some rats, you begrudgingly accept his stupid quest, but while fighting the rats, you come across a trap door, the trap door leads to a secret thieves hide-out, while clearing out the thieves hide-out, you come to learn that it is actually a front for a daemonic cult which turns people into rats or something. Anyway, you fight a dragon. The end.

• Like 3

While it would be funny to see some kind of subversion of the usual "newbie adventurer having to work their way up from fighting rats in a basement to sickly goblins with rusty forks" I would actually prefer a more serious subversion of that trope. Pit us against something that makes us feel like the protagonist of the story, and not the stablehand or errand boy! Maybe the basement is full of wererats that are currently in rat form? Nasty surprise that!

Make sense, not war.

While it would be funny to see some kind of subversion of the usual "newbie adventurer having to work their way up from fighting rats in a basement to sickly goblins with rusty forks" I would actually prefer a more serious subversion of that trope. Pit us against something that makes us feel like the protagonist of the story, and not the stablehand or errand boy! Maybe the basement is full of wererats that are currently in rat form? Nasty surprise that!

Wererats might be a bit of a handful for a first level character.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

That's just the thing. We're so used with first level characters being quite weak. As they should be, sure, but it's about the scale of the overarching conflict and the feel of the setting in general. Basically, we've already seen quite a few games where a low level character is killing puny creatures. It's more seldom that we see low level characters take on more impressive/interesting foes.

Make sense, not war.

relentless rats, get +1+1 for each other creature named relentless rats ingame.

(and then have it so that after every 30 seconds, another one of them appears for each one still alive, doesn't seem like much as a challenge at first...)

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

That's just the thing. We're so used with first level characters being quite weak. As they should be, sure, but it's about the scale of the overarching conflict and the feel of the setting in general. Basically, we've already seen quite a few games where a low level character is killing puny creatures. It's more seldom that we see low level characters take on more impressive/interesting foes.

It's possible that the split Stamina/Health approach may allow the designers to make first level characters more plausibly robust against puny creatures. I guess we'll see. :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Well there definitely should be a rat catcher quest. It's just rats, ordinary rats. And you only get paid like one gold to do it. And then after you can complete it you can say to the quest giver "I, uhm, was expecting something a bit more... heroic." and he just shakes his head in pity at the poor deluded soul that thought catching rats would be heroic.