I've always thought it strange that, in party-based RPGs, while lots of time is spent recording dialogues and conversations, there's always only a tiny pool of audio cues that are used when selecting them / giving them orders. Why is this? A large percentage of the player's time is spent clicking on their portraits and giving orders, so why is it that we're stuck with hearing the same 'I stand ready' phrases over and over again?

Given that OE don't need to worry about full voiceover for companion dialogue in PE, what I'd like to see (or rather, hear), instead, is greater variety and nuance to the audio cues we hear when giving orders to the party. Here are a few examples:

Location specific: relaxed quotes when in Taverns, wary ones when in a new and threatening area, urgent when in battle, whispers when in a crypt, that sort of thing.

Emotion-affected: It always jars for me when I've had, say, an argument with a party member in a conversation, or an emotional reveal has taken place, and then when you're back in gameplay, you're back to the standard sets of chirpy responses. It would be amazing if sometimes that could affect the voice sets as well. 'Huffy' or 'distance' responses after an argument, for example, or cheerful after a humerous exchange. If you wanted to be really interesting about it, you could use this as a cue to the player as well. If a companion's audio phrases suddenly sound pensive, or sulky, talking to them might open up a conversation.

Level / story affected: This is a big one, but wouldn't it be good if, say, a character's voice set became more confident as the story progressed / levelled up. A character might join the group and be quite non-expressive and professional when being given orders, but as time passes and he's travelled with the group and becomes more relaxed, his tone may change. Or a cheerful character, after being witness to an evil player character's awful deeds and derision in conversation, would become more downbeat.

When you've got the voice actor in the studio, given the lack of need for extensive recording, I wouldn't have thought it would be too hard to get them to instead spend a bit of time recording different nuances of responses?

I asked about this in the reddit Q&A, but unfortunately didn't get a response. What do you guys think?

Edited by The Wise Alaundo
  • Like 8

I really like this, and I think there's a lot you can do with it. The 'barks', as they call them, were never something I found particularly engaging, but you can get a lot of immersion in to the characters and their situation that way. I would love to see this player with in a really unique way like what you're suggesting.

• Like 1

"Heya, It's me, Cadegund!"

*Shiver*

I really like this, and I think there's a lot you can do with it. The 'barks', as they call them, were never something I found particularly engaging, but you can get a lot of immersion in to the characters and their situation that way. I would love to see this player with in a really unique way like what you're suggesting.

'Barks', that's the one. I knew there was a proper term for them! Yeah, it's always seemed strange in RPGs like Dragon Age that the devs put so much effort into making companions feel like real people, and then undo all that good work when you're actually in the gameplay environment travelling around listening to them spout same couple of phrases over and over again.

I vote for no audio when selecting / giving orders. It's ****ing annoying, cheesy, unrealistic, and adds nothing whatsoever to the game.

People silently doing your bidding is also pretty unrealistic though, and lack of feedback for your orders would also add nothing to the game. Instead of getting rid of what doesn't quite work, I'd like to see efforts made to make it worthwile, realistic, satisfying and something that enhances our gaming experience.

Edited by The Wise Alaundo

I vote for no audio when selecting / giving orders. It's ****ing annoying, cheesy, unrealistic, and adds nothing whatsoever to the game.

People silently doing your bidding is also pretty unrealistic though, and lack of feedback for your orders would also add nothing to the game. Instead of getting rid of what doesn't quite work, I'd like to see efforts made to make it worthwile, realistic, satisfying and something that enhances our gaming experience.

I disagree completely. Silence is much more realistic. I'm a player in front of a computer screen, and they're characters inside a gameworld. Why the hell should they be responding to my orders like that?

Don't you think it's kind of silly though hearing characters comment every time the player clicks to move them...?

I disagree completely. Silence is much more realistic. I'm a player in front of a computer screen, and they're characters inside a gameworld. Why the hell should they be responding to my orders like that?

Don't you think it's kind of silly though hearing characters comment every time the player clicks to move them...?

Well, I interpret the barks as party members responding to the Player Character's orders, rather than myself as an 'omnipresent authority figure' ;). The PC him/herself... yes, you're right there of course - that's one of the quirks of the genre I suppose.

I swear that if OE puts in a "You must gather your party before venturing forth" bark, I will go down to Irvine and make them pay. 100s of hours listening to it.

P.S. I know it was a Bioware BG/BG2 thing but still...

Rub my belly....you know you want to...give in to the temptation...and don't mind the resulting love scratches and bites.

That is a nice idea. But will we be able to tell when the dwarf is in a good mood? :)

It the dwarf in a tavern? Then its in a good mood.

Rub my belly....you know you want to...give in to the temptation...and don't mind the resulting love scratches and bites.

For what it's worth, selection sounds could be turned on/off in the Infinity Engine games.

I'm thinking Obsidian will implement an option for this too.

For what it's worth, selection sounds could be turned on/off in the Infinity Engine games.

I'm thinking Obsidian will implement an option for this too.

Really? It's been so long since I last played any of them. Perhaps I was just too dumb at the time to figure that out. That could've saved me a lot of unnecessary annoyance...

I still think it's a waste of time and resources even including that kind of thing in the game though.