Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Jigawatts

The casting spell voices sound "dulled down", like they're coming from behind the corner or something. And they sound way too quite compared to other sound effects. I cast "haste" - I can barely hear the spell words and then I'm deafened by the sound of the spell being applied to the target. And I can't even change this **** because both casting voices and spell effects are on the same setting bar.

What the ****!

I remember Trent Oster complaining about how "the sound code is very bad and it's a surprise that it works". Well IT WORKED, and now it DOESN'T.

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Can't change their ugly font that they bought on the first font site on google for 10 bucks... can't change it to anything else from the mods because now their modified infinity engine refuses to use fonts from "normal.bam" in the override folder. And that's been a problem since BG1EE. And they didn't do **** to fix it.

Edited by Bester

I got the BG1 EE super cheap on Steam.

It's polished enough, but without the easy mod support it won't replace the experience I have now. However, a year from now when both BG1 / BG2 EE are out and fully mod compatible... it will be a marvellous experience.

They've done a lot of externalisations to make modder access easier, as well.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It's polished enough, but without the easy mod support it won't replace the experience I have now. However, a year from now when both BG1 / BG2 EE are out and fully mod compatible... it will be a marvellous experience.

Out of curiosty, what are the mods you consider essential for you experience?

(See, I can multipost, too!)

Edited by Nepenthe

For me it's mainly fix-packs and tweaks, plus some Weimer stuff like Tactics (ahahaahahaa improved Chateau Irenicus is hilarious). Unfinished Business is essential, as is aVENGERS thief mod. Dave Gaider's re-worked ToB endgame, Ascension and Redemption (one is a fan mod iirc) always get added. I like mods that add tougher challenges, improve scripts and AI and add more loot. I'm currently playing the whole saga with an anti-paladin (part of the tactics mod) and my own evil party made with MP and cut-and-pasted into the single player saves folder. Shadowkeeper is also a no-brainer.

Basically, I've played it so much now I like to play as gonzo as possible with weird party / npc combos or themed parties with lots of OTT powaz and loot. Even though 2E AD&D is stoopid, it's still 10x richer than current rulesets and allows for lots of tinkering.

And (please listen, PE devs) you can make bad decisions and gimpy characters. My sub-optimal Jester playthrough was enormous fun, for example.

sonsofgygax.JPG

For me it's mainly fix-packs and tweaks, plus some Weimer stuff like Tactics (ahahaahahaa improved Chateau Irenicus is hilarious). Unfinished Business is essential, as is aVENGERS thief mod. Dave Gaider's re-worked ToB endgame, Ascension and Redemption (one is a fan mod iirc) always get added. I like mods that add tougher challenges, improve scripts and AI and add more loot. I'm currently playing the whole saga with an anti-paladin (part of the tactics mod) and my own evil party made with MP and cut-and-pasted into the single player saves folder. Shadowkeeper is also a no-brainer.

Basically, I've played it so much now I like to play as gonzo as possible with weird party / npc combos or themed parties with lots of OTT powaz and loot. Even though 2E AD&D is stoopid, it's still 10x richer than current rulesets and allows for lots of tinkering.

And (please listen, PE devs) you can make bad decisions and gimpy characters. My sub-optimal Jester playthrough was enormous fun, for example.

Well, the latest version of unfinished business is already compatible with the EEs. There's also a new version of Shadowkeeper, EEKeeper, that is already functional and that they are looking at making multiplatform, too. But yeah, Ascension apparently isn't yet.

The casting spell voices sound "dulled down", like they're coming from behind the corner or something. And they sound way too quite compared to other sound effects. I cast "haste" - I can barely hear the spell words and then I'm deafened by the sound of the spell being applied to the target. And I can't even change this **** because both casting voices and spell effects are on the same setting bar.

What the ****!

I remember Trent Oster complaining about how "the sound code is very bad and it's a surprise that it works". Well IT WORKED, and now it DOESN'T.

That's called Dolby Surround, you either turn off in-game 3D sound or buy a proper sound system...

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Monte, which tactics mod has the anti-paladin kit?

When BG2EE works with item upgrades(or someone creates an improved version) or item revisions, level1npcs, tweak and fix packs, various kit mods, and it is less than $15, I will pick it up.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

What the ****!

That's called Dolby Surround, you either turn off in-game 3D sound or buy a proper sound system...

But there's no such option in-game. How do I turn it off? There's no baldur.ini like there used to be.

Found baldur.ini but there's no such option.

Edited by Bester

What the ****!

But there's no such option in-game. How do I turn it off? There's no baldur.ini like there used to be.

Isn't there in the user documents folder?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'm interested in making a mod with a custom font. Putting "normal.bam" in the override folder doesn't work anymore, so I'm looking for a new way.

In baldur.ini there are interesting lines

'Fonts', 'ko_KR', 'UNBOM',
'Fonts', 'zh_CN', 'SIMSUN',
'Fonts', 'ja_JP', 'MSGOTHIC',
'Fonts', 'ru_RU', 'PERMIAN',
'Fonts', 'uk_UA', 'PERMIAN',

In the multi-language version of the game, there are files such as ...... Gate Enhanced Edition/lang/ja_JP/fonts/MSGOTHIC.bmp (4.0M)

Unfortunately I don't have a multi-language version.

Adding a line to baldur.ini     'Fonts',    'en_US',    'TEST',   does the trick in changing the font the game uses. I made an empty file and put it in /lang/en_US/fonts/TEST.bmp and it changed all the letters to empty spaces in game. So this does work. Unfortunately I can't imagine what the proper structure of such a bmp file should be. Does anyone have a multi-language version please? I need to have a look at those .bmp files.

What the ****!

See, I was about to comment that I've had no issues, and I have a multichannel setup (which actually gives me a lot of problems with other games).

• 3 months later...

Do we find the EE games better than the originals? I really would like to see reviews on the EE games. Pros, Cons, constructive feedback.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Do we find the EE games better than the originals? I really would like to see reviews on the EE games. Pros, Cons, constructive feedback.

I think so, but not enough to justify paying $15 more.

Pros:

1.UI was easier to navigate, and had more detailed information

2.It is possible to have an all-evil party in BG2 without using mods or more than one player-generated character, and there is a thief that progresses as a thief other than Yoshimo or Jan Jansen

3.It looks better than BG2 with a widescreen mod

4.Grand Mastery is more balanced than Vanilla BG2 GM or True Grand Mastery GM.

Cons:

1.(BGEE)Mods that alter equipment stats(such as the "rebalanced weapon proficiency" component of BG2 Tweaks) don't work. When installed, the descriptions are dialogue from the game rather than an accurate description of the item

2.(Subjective and likely controversial)I would have preferred using the 3.5 ruleset rather than 2E

3.Kits and items seem to be pretty unbalanced

4.The new content that I've played(haven't gotten around to the BG2EE stuff yet) is around the quality of some of the better quest mods, but can feel pretty jarring, particularly Neira

5.Portraits included in BGEE aren't in BG2EE

Constructive feedback:

1.The weapon styles should be improved(except maybe for TWF). Two-Handed and Single-Weapon style are too front-loaded and Sword&Shield style is too weak after BGEE. I think the second * should increase benefits by roughly 75% and that S&S should provide a universal AC bonus and/or damage resistance.

2.There should be at least two +5(+6 for 2-handers) weapons of each type in the game. Holy Swords(Carsomyr and Purifier) should deal that extra damage against all Evil foes, not just the Chaotic Evil ones.

3.There should be more quests that don't involve new companions.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Pros:

Sadly irrelevant in my case. Awesome sprites/paperdolls by Erephine and co. Seriously. Various other things. :)

Cons:

I am a so called "purist" and don't like the addition of new content that I haven't personally approved. The new party members (that I basically consider to be fanfic grafted onto the games) bother me enough that although I could remove them easily enough with DLTCEP or Near Infinity, I feel as though the developers had their priorities so incredibly mixed up for these "enhanced editions" that I am loath to support them. :) I think I would actually be more inclined to recommend them if they had a $5 "remove all this extra stuff" DLC. I probably still wouldn't, of course, because that'd be utter nonsense, but nevertheless. :p

That's in addition to not all mods working correctly...which means if I'm actually playing, I'm playing non-EE, regardless of all other factors. :)

Had at least the NPCs and their relevant quests been split off into like a $5 DLC, it would be oh so much easier for me to be happy with the games. I probably would've even bought it, (though I would've had it disabled). My idea of "enhancing" a game does not involve adding a bunch of half-baked junk that sticks out like a sore thumb that I (with no prior history of expertise to suggest that it would actually fit in the game) thought up myself in an afternoon.

Away with you, beggar!

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The voice actors for the Black Pits in BG2EE were horrible, pure badness: they didn't want to sound "normal" (maybe they sounded too american), so they all made up horrible accents like swedish, german, french and whatnot. Oh god, it was painful to listen to.

You can't have people from the street reading texts after brilliant BG2 voice actors. And you can't make them sound like they're struggling with english because they're all sorts of europeans, it's Faerun, not dota2 solo queue. Just horrible.

I felt no immersion, it was so bothersome, that I just dropped the game after 20 minutes.

Edited by Bester

Interesting read—a well-articulated piece in the bigger debate of whether games are art and their dependence of the (technological) circumstances surrounding their creation. Unfortunately, its basis seems to be that the author just couldn't get into BG2EE, which is, in my mind, a very weak starting proposition.

Doesn't really say anything of substance about BG2EE, per se.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.