Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Jigawatts

Believe Electron is totally not the Aurora engine in the same way that Skyrim's Creation engine is totally not Gamebryo.

Thank you Humanoid for explaining. Now it makes sense :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Believe Electron is totally not the Aurora engine in the same way that Skyrim's Creation engine is totally not Gamebryo.

When a developer renames an engine, what they usually mean by that is that it's changed enough to be considered a new engine. Unless you happen to know the engine code very well, I'll go with Obsidian's take over yours, thanks. ;)

When a developer renames an engine, what they usually mean by that is that it's changed enough to be considered a new engine. Unless you happen to know the engine code very well, I'll go with Obsidian's take over yours, thanks. ;)

I don't think he is saying that is what he believes he is saying what Volo was insinuating :) 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

BG in the NWN engine is not an enhanced edition, its a dumbed down and beyond destroyed edition. You dont enhance BG by making it 3D, even worse when its made into the worst 3D engine ever developed.

I tried that module already some time ago and hated it, I want a game just like BG, not more NWN type games / mods.

Im guessing that Project Eternity is going to be the closest thing to that.

Beamdog did the best they could given what they were allowed to do by Atari and WOTC. All the original source art had been lost, and they were not allowed to change or alter any of the games content, only make additions. 

As for the cost of BG1EE and BG2EE, they were more of a kickstarter fund for a possible BG3. Beamdog's plan was to make a new isometric BG3 if the EEs of the first two were successful, but I dont think that they have been.

Before Atari forced BGEE's temporary removal from sale, they had exceeded all their expectations in sales. It did mess up their post-release schedule and DLC plans, so I have no idea what the situation is now.

Their plan seems to be to provide long term support for the two games that are out now, and I, for one, am looking forward to their future work after what they did with bgee.

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Don't get me wrong, I think it's brilliant that Beamdog are making some money and bringing BG to a newer audience (although I wonder if most of the players are people who bought it back in the day and wanted a digital version).

All I'm saying is that, for a lot of us, the extra features don't warrant the extra outlay, given the heavily-improved, modded versions we already have.

But, when all is said and done, if more people are digging BG and the IP is still making money then good luck to them.

• Like 3

sonsofgygax.JPG

Don't get me wrong, I think it's brilliant that Beamdog are making some money and bringing BG to a newer audience (although I wonder if most of the players are people who bought it back in the day and wanted a digital version).

All I'm saying is that, for a lot of us, the extra features don't warrant the extra outlay, given the heavily-improved, modded versions we already have.

But, when all is said and done, if more people are digging BG and the IP is still making money then good luck to them.

I have to agree with you Monte, and I normally would be in that newer audience, as I had not hit puberty when BG2 was released.

The main barrier keeping me from buying this is the lack of Mod support for the G3 and SHS mods. If someone could get those(and item upgrades) working with the EEs, I would probably buy it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

BGEE edition is ****. Anyone who supports it is evil.  Event aking out silly things like 'morals'; the whole EE editions are garabge. They have nothing worthwhile to add to the series.

As for  it being 'brillant' that beamdog is making money - all 2$ of it - not so brilliant. As get rich schemes goes it is rather a poor one and reeks of laziness.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Eh.  If I were contemplating a BG replay, I'd certainly look into the EEs.  If one install can cut out the hassle of disc-swapping and mod acquisition for basic stuff like widescreen support, that'd be worth some cash to me. 

• Like 1

So you hate PST and FO and BG2? Because to like them is to agree with me. R00fles!

to be wrong 100% requires genius equal and opposite to being correct 100% of the time.  a person could makes an inestimable fortune following vol around and choosing opposite from you if vol were indeed infallibly wrong. sadly for us all, vol is nothing more than a garden-variety kook with the reasoning skills o' a burlap sack full of rabid rats... if the rats were on pcp... and the drug-addled and rabid rats were scientologists. 

am not having an axe to grind on this issue. if beamdog is making bg2 more accessible to folks and charging a premium for that accessibility, we applaud their chutzpah. heck, we pay a nice portugese woman ~$50 per week to do some basic cleaning at our house... 'cause we is too lazy to do such stuff our self. truth-to-tell, we consider her services a bargain. would be more than a little hypocritical o' us if we criticized peoples for their beamdog purchases. that being said, while we can't be bothered to clean up after our self 'cause we is "too busy," we will spend literal hours modding our original release collector's edition bg2 dvds to get the game approximately into same condition as the beamdog release. go figure.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Eh.  If I were contemplating a BG replay, I'd certainly look into the EEs.  If one install can cut out the hassle of disc-swapping and mod acquisition for basic stuff like widescreen support, that'd be worth some cash to me. 

I created single CD install/play .isos of of all the Infinity Engine games years ago, (and there's also an .exe modifier to disable the CD check if you did full installs that works on all of the Infinity Engine games - it also does it cleanly enough that any mods that also patch the .exe still work perfectly)...but if you're not a big fan of the fuss of modding, fair enough.  :)

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Ehm, with full install you do not need to swap discs...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I installed set up BG1 and BG2 trilogy in one and half hour with discswapping... Still faster than downloading both games from any DD vendor...

Patching up and getting mods was done in half hour for me...

PS. I am not trying to tell anyone that they should run away from BG1EE and BG2EE, just telling you, why for me the added value is not high enough to justify the current price... And unfortunately I do not have portuguese maid to make up my home, so I can not compare this view to the value of the game :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Finally went and played BG:EE since 1.2 patch got released. I love that all the ogre mages drop katanas for some reason.

Also, never played Tales content and now I'm amazed how bad I am at this game. Reloading and buffing the party before every high-level spellcaster fight is not a lot of fun. Also, I can't quite function without contingencies and sequencers, and I haven't seen the scroll for minor sequencer anywhere. BG2 is far more forgiving.

• Like 1

So did the 2nd EE add any kits or races the first did not?

Also, is the new companion a vanilla thief, a kit or multiclass/dualclass?

So one thing I don't get is that someone that's willing to pay $250 towards Project Eternity is whining over spending $18 on BG2EE. Makes so much sense, not.

Because they already own BG2 and spending $25 for something that is 95% identical to something you already own might seem like a bit of a waste.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So did the 2nd EE add any kits or races the first did not?Also, is the new companion a vanilla thief, a kit or multiclass/dualclass?

So one thing I don't get is that someone that's willing to pay $250 towards Project Eternity is whining over spending $18 on BG2EE. Makes so much sense, not.

Because they already own BG2 and spending $25 for something that is 95% identical to something you already own might seem like a bit of a waste.

Except that BGEE and BG2EE were intended as kickstarters for BG3. Plenty of people already bought BG multiple times because they enjoy the game so much. $25 now on top of how much you originally paid is still a lot less than the amount of money some of you are throwing into kickstarters.

There's 4 new kits, shadowdancer, dragon disciple, sun and dark monks. There's a great new arena based expansion with new custom scripted AI and some very difficult challenges. And the widescreen and UI improvements make the base game much better to run on todays monitors, and no old mods don't compare because those used to shrink the UI and make everything unreadable.

Edited by Mungri

Except that BGEE and BG2EE were intended as kickstarters for BG3. Plenty of people already bought BG multiple times because they enjoy the game so much. $25 now on top of how much you originally paid is still a lot less than the amount of money some of you are throwing into kickstarters.

That just doesn't make sense. If Beamdog wanted to do a kickstarter, then they should have done a kickstarter instead of a re-release of a game. If Beamdog would have done an actual kickstarter for BG3 and had members of the original team, I would probably have given more than $45.

There's 4 new kits, shadowdancer, dragon disciple, sun and dark monks. There's a great new arena based expansion with new custom scripted AI and some very difficult challenges. And the widescreen and UI improvements make the base game much better to run on todays monitors, and no old mods don't compare because those used to shrink the UI and make everything unreadable.

I meant kits that were not in the first EE.

And UI mods are far and away not the only mods that work for BG2 that do not work for the EE. If I can't use level 1 NPCs, BG2 Tweaks, BG1+2 UB, Item Upgrades, Sword and Fist, Song and Silence, Divine Remix, Sorcerer's Place Collection, or SCS1+2 with BG2EE, then I don't see the point of paying $25 to play a game I already own without tweaks I find essential because of marginal UI improvements.