Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Jigawatts

Actually playing bgee for the furst time now that it's at 1.2 (only tried it a bit when it came out). The ui tweaks are great, I prefer the new movies and the new bg2 style npcs and quests are really good so far, but am obviously still in the early phases of those as well. Personally consider that as of the current version, it's no longer a convenience option, but actually a lot better than the modded original.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

$25 is steep... if you're from North Korea and aren't allowed to use a PC. Otherwise I look at it as blip--a minor service charge for saving me the time of modding up my copy. Plus there's whatever content they added, of course.

Of course that video isn't actually a promotional video for the north koreans. And that moment where they casually show a class room full of PCs for a few seconds, that's actually papier-mâché, as we all know that in reality they eat tree bark and grass when they're not being shot by the kgb.

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

$25 is steep... if you're from North Korea and aren't allowed to use a PC. Otherwise I look at it as blip--a minor service charge for saving me the time of modding up my copy. Plus there's whatever content they added, of course.

But modding up a game to your specific tastes is fun!

Since they have the original renders for BGEE2, I wonder if the characters and creatures are now anti-aliased? I can't tell with those wide screen shots.

They do? In that case, why weren't they improved for BG1:EE, since they mostly switched over to BG2 sprites, (or created some of their own (or used what modders created before the game was released, mainly 1pp's/Erephine's, I think))?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Ehm, I got my copies modded to BGT and unfinished business (including download) in less than 15 minutes... So unless you make 100$ per hour, it's overpriced...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Ehm, I got my copies modded to BGT and unfinished business (including download) in less than 15 minutes... So unless you make 100$ per hour, it's overpriced...

I for one charge a lot more than that. :p

But as usual, you get the guys who enjoy diy and tinkering and the ones who are happy to hire a professional, so to speak. And, you're definitely getting more than UB and BGT with it (and less green water) :p

And, you're definitely getting more than UB and BGT with it

Yes...that's the bad bit. :)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

All good mods will be converted to BG2EE eventually, so in a few years it'll definitely make sense.

I haven't played it yet, just launched and saw the intro. The sound in the intro (where you get captured etc) is dull somehow, anyone else noticed it? They ****ed something up.

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

All good mods already work with BG2, and I already have a copy installed on my secondary drive.

Unless you are on a Mac, BG(2)EE doesn't provide enough extra content to warrant the extra price. Now, if they included more than just a few NPCs, used a better ruleset, and managed to improve upon the ToB section of the game it would be a good buy.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

All good mods already work with BG2, and I already have a copy installed on my secondary drive.

Unless you are on a Mac, BG(2)EE doesn't provide enough extra content to warrant the extra price. Now, if they included more than just a few NPCs, used a better ruleset, and managed to improve upon the ToB section of the game it would be a good buy.

Since everybody else is a broken record, I can be too: personally find the ui improvements (walk dots based on character colors so you can see at a glance who's going where etc.) alone worth the price. If course i own like 4 or 5 copies of both games evem before the EEs, so price isn't really a consideration for me in the context of the BGs... :p
  • Like 1

Old news now but this is what I call an Enhanced Edition! It's been finished and patched up apparently so I'm sorely tempted to leave my BG:EE to collect dust and just play this instead. 

I still find the fact that they made/are making this very impressive...but also still think that the chances of me wanting to try and play Baldur's Gate in the NWN engine/setup to be close to nil. :(

BG in the NWN engine is not an enhanced edition, its a dumbed down and beyond destroyed edition. You dont enhance BG by making it 3D, even worse when its made into the worst 3D engine ever developed.

I tried that module already some time ago and hated it, I want a game just like BG, not more NWN type games / mods.

Im guessing that Project Eternity is going to be the closest thing to that.

Beamdog did the best they could given what they were allowed to do by Atari and WOTC. All the original source art had been lost, and they were not allowed to change or alter any of the games content, only make additions. 

As for the cost of BG1EE and BG2EE, they were more of a kickstarter fund for a possible BG3. Beamdog's plan was to make a new isometric BG3 if the EEs of the first two were successful, but I dont think that they have been.

Edited by Mungri
  • Like 1

I tried that module already some time ago and hated it, I want a game just like BG, not more NWN type games / mods.

And I can appreciate that, I really liked NWN2 and it's engine though (Preferred it to the infinity engine actually although I did love those games) so I'm looking forward to playing it.

Edited by Serrano

Mungri, your obsession with 3D being bad is pretty creepy.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Most 3D games are great, its just the Aurora engine I couldnt stand. The camera angles, awkward party controls and cell based areas killed the game for me. My obsession is that since NWN, Isometric party based RPGs were completely killed off, like no one wanted to play or make them anymore. 

DAO got 3D and tactical party combat right, but they went and completely ruined that in DA2, and now for some unknown reason, they are copying games like Skyrim for DA3.

It would be like taking the Civ or Total War series, and changing them into real time strategies and never having any new TBS games anymore.

I mention it a lot in the hope that one day more developers might go back to making more 2D Iso games.

Edited by Mungri
  • Like 2

Most 3D games are great, its just the Aurora engine I couldnt stand. The camera angles, awkward party controls and cell based areas killed the game for me. My obsession is that since NWN, Isometric party based RPGs were completely killed off, like no one wanted to play or make them anymore. 

NWN2 uses the Electron Engine, not the Aurora Engine. Mask of the Betrayer played quite well in strategic mode ("isometric") in my experience.

Edited by Zeckul

NWN2 uses the Electron Engine, not the Aurora Engine. Mask of the Betrayer played quite well in strategic mode ("isometric") in my experience.

To me the biggest benefit of NWN2 is that it uses the third edition rules. The engine seemed fine to me--it's getting long in the tooth, but still runs pretty decently. People have their biases, I guess.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

"NWN2 uses the electron engine not the aurora engine."

L0L

And your point is? Is that statement incorrect or is the electron engine inferior. As usual I have no idea what you are LOL about?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela