Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Jigawatts

Yep, for anything non windows it's a better deal by far. For windows though, it isn't great.

@Zor: When you refer to BG3, are you talking about The Black Hound (which Atari managed to get cancelled when Black Isle was working on it).

I was referring to this from 2008- which basically was Atari stringing Obsidz along for a year with the promise of making BG3, albeit with only one side of the story being available.

PS Atari receivers, I'll buy the Independence War IP for $50, get back to me.

I offer 55$. Independence War 2 was hands down the most immersive space-sim I ever played.

Hell I'd pay to see a good sequel.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

PS Atari receivers, I'll buy the Independence War IP for $50, get back to me.

I offer 55$. Independence War 2 was hands down the most immersive space-sim I ever played.

Hell I'd pay to see a good sequel.

With the two of you in a bidding war over it, we can't avoid getting an excellent sequel.

:p

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It won't be a bidding war since we really ought to pool our resources instead of bidding against each other, $105 will, after all, get the rights and maybe an hour of development time. Plus it's a tender process, so I've already lost.

I'm not sure that Prosper's talents are best suited for Independence War, if I ever end up with the rights to Call of Cthulhu (which I think would require Lovecraft to come back to life and reset the copyright period) he'd be a shoe in though.

It won't be a bidding war since we really ought to pool our resources instead of bidding against each other, $105 will, after all, get the rights and maybe an hour of development time. Plus it's a tender process, so I've already lost.

I'm not sure that Prosper's talents are best suited for Independence War, if I ever end up with the rights to Call of Cthulhu (which I think would require Lovecraft to come back to life and reset the copyright period) he'd be a shoe in though.

Afaik Lovecraft's universe is in public domain in EU.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Guest Slinky

I didn't find BG EE as a worthy replacement for the original with mods, but I still kinda hoped it would make beamdog enough money they could do BG2 EE and use the money to make it bit more enhanced than BG EE turned out to be.

Don't think that's gonna happen anymore.

Pulling a product due to unpaid royalties would seem like a strange response to me, but the fact that Atari's still selling it through Steam (and thus retaining their most profitable way of distributing it) makes it somewhat plausible.

Btw how did they manage to break a game a dozen modders didn't?

What's the official excuse

Guest Slinky

Dunno is there one, to me it just looks like they used paying customers to be the beta testers just like pretty much every other game company out there.

As far I know, its been patched relatively bug free by now. Still dont see any reason to buy that if you already have the original BG for pc though.

Edited by Slinky

By actually going into the engine and ripping out all legacy win95 stuff and trying to make it take advantage of current tech. They say they had no idea how many oddities were hard-coded there and how many things that shouldn't be connected turn out to be. Simply, bg1 code was a mess that, incredibly, worked and untangling that mess broke a lot of stuff. I have no reason to doubt them, certainly as they demonstrated their ability to fix stuff up until this last episode.

Went up and fired up my old copy of BG just to try to shake off the nostalgia goggles. After I got out of town and got killed by a dire wolf with whom I had an incredible series of misses I remembered why i'm through with roll based rpgs; they ****ing suck.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

By actually going into the engine and ripping out all legacy win95 stuff and trying to make it take advantage of current tech. They say they had no idea how many oddities were hard-coded there and how many things that shouldn't be connected turn out to be. Simply, bg1 code was a mess that, incredibly, worked and untangling that mess broke a lot of stuff. I have no reason to doubt them, certainly as they demonstrated their ability to fix stuff up until this last episode.

Honestly, that sounds like bollocks. The people that made a working game made a "mess" but those that "untangled" it broke it.

If they got it working later, that basically means Deathdealer is right - they just kicked it out of the door prematurely.

If I get the itch to play BG again, I might get it - but only on a drastic sale.

Went up and fired up my old copy of BG just to try to shake off the nostalgia goggles. After I got out of town and got killed by a dire wolf with whom I had an incredible series of misses I remembered why i'm through with roll based rpgs; they ****ing suck.

That's not inherent to random chance though, BG used some specific formula and values that make early level gameplay incredibly slow and tedious.

The early part of BG1 is TERRIBLE.  Even fighters can get pretty much insta-killed at level 1 with just a roll or two going against them and mages and rogues are ridiculously squishy.  Until you get to about level 3 or 4 the game goes something like this:

Encounter > die > reload > encounter > die > reload > encounter > survive > save > encounter > die > reload > encounter > survive > save > etc...

It's horrible, it forces you to save scum.  I hate it so much that I use a save game editor to boost myself to level 3 at start, then later on dock myself 4000 exp to get back on par.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sorry but that's not true. Its possible to die on occasion but its not that common, unless you wander around a higher level area. A party where everyone has ranged weapons will steamroll most things.

Sorry but that's not true. Its possible to die on occasion but its not that common, unless you wander around a higher level area. A party where everyone has ranged weapons will steamroll most things.

No. There are Dire Wolves in the first area the PC ends up in that can kill Warrior classes on a lucky roll and is almost certain to kill anyone else. They are pretty hard to hit and quite tough too, so unless you get very lucky or have a party of characters who are at least specialized with ranged weapons, they will most likely kill you if you are playing on normal difficulty.

Things do flow better after level 3, but levels 1 and 2 are insanely difficult.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

To be fair I wandered with just Imoen as soon as I got out of CandleKeep.

I still hate rolls as a video game mechanic.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

You can still have a thief or mage taken out by a single missile crit hit when they're level 2, quite easily. Fortunately the game is not designed around having hordes of low hp, low xp, high relative danger missile wielding enemies like kobolds (some with Extra Fire Power, ohoho) throughout much of the early game and in the first critical mission set, as that would be criminally bad given the rule set used since effectively 5% of all attacks against a mage and even a non maxed thief will kill them stone cold dead with a single hit, let alone that mages need 2500xp to even go up that first level.

Every time someone complains about Bioware's encounter design going down the toilet and how things were better in the BG series I think back to the Nashkel Mines and wonder if said person actually played the BG series. I'm not much of a fan of ME2 style plinkamole combat but it could be and occasionally was so much worse.

• Like 2

Every time someone complains about Bioware's encounter design going down the toilet and how things were better in the BG series I think back to the Nashkel Mines and wonder if said person actually played the BG series. I'm not much of a fan of ME2 style plinkamole combat but it could be and occasionally was so much worse.

My first playthrough waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1999 ended in Nashkel mines for just this reason.