Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Jigawatts

I hope this **** gets canned.

Congrats to Beamdom on making an already good BG, worse. BGT is way better. The only benefit is being able to play the game on a tablet.

I know that's probably not very nice of me, but as a PC user I am a bitter customer. BGEE for PC was a total waste of money.

Edited by Gorth
Circumventing language filter
  • Like 1

I hope this **** gets canned.

Congrats to Beamdom on making an already good BG, worse. BGT is way better. The only benefit is being able to play the game on a tablet.

I know that's probably not very nice of me, but as a PC user I am a bitter customer. BGEE for PC was a total waste of money.

I have never played BG1 and wanted to get BGEE, why do you think its a waste of money?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have never played BG1 and wanted to get BGEE, why do you think its a waste of money?

You can get all of the benefits for $10 cheaper with some simple modding.

Although I picked it up for $10 o Steam, but still haven't gotten around to playing it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Although I picked it up for $10 o Steam, but still haven't gotten around to playing it.

Okay, thanks :) Good to know

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No it won't be.

Their OpenGL renderer is terrible and blurry. They implemented a pointless zoom feature that zooms in on the source art and makes it look crap. The zoom also resets every time you exit an area.

There are graphical glitches with many of the animations, such as the fireplace inside one of the Candlekeep houses.

There are more bugs introduced by BGEE than were leftover in the original.

The UI is terrible (terrible resolution), apparently the delayed patch has a higher res version but it still looks clumsy.

No it won't be.

Their OpenGL renderer is terrible and blurry. They implemented a pointless zoom feature that zooms in on the source art and makes it look crap. The zoom also resets every time you exit an area.

There are graphical glitches with many of the animations, such as the fireplace inside one of the Candlekeep houses.

There are more bugs introduced by BGEE than were leftover in the original.

The UI is terrible (terrible resolution), apparently the delayed patch has a higher res version but it still looks clumsy.

That is relevant technical information, thx

John Milton 

All of the benefits apart from the new content and, well, stuff working out of the box, and well, all those bug fixes that could never be done without borking the engine and that stuff.

I'm pretty sure the zoom level was already fixed.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I would buy the original BG instead of BGEE. Was a long time supporter of BGEE prior to its release, pre-ordered it and then found out it was riddled with bugs. The extra content while interesting, doesn't really add much to a game with bugs, when the original game doesn't have those bugs. Beamdog introduced new bugs that weren't there which defies logic. I found it very hard to finish this game and went back to the original BG. Very disappointed with this effort.

An example of an introduced bug which has been brought to Beamdogs attention on their forums last year and still not fixed:

BGEE cannot be 'alt-tabbed' and minimised to the task bar with dual montiors. The original game can. As a person who uses dual montors, this really sucks when the game is 'stuck' on one monitor and can't be minimised. Also on a dual monitor system, any applications you open on the same monitor as BGEE will be 'behind' the game and you can't access those apps. The only way to get rid of the game is exiting it because minimise doesn't work (on dual monitor set-ups).

I know it doesn't sound good on my part, but part of me is glad we won't see BG2EE.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II
  • Like 1

I will not buy 350k words of additional content after BGEE. At least make your Enchanted Edition actually work for 2 hours without crashing, glitching or screwing in some other yet to be known way.

Releasing a remake that is worse than most popular mods? Way to go, Trent, way to go,

And Beamdong announces that they are looking forward to BG3? Hope they'll go bankrupt beforethey could spoil BG2 and potential BG3 as well.

Edited by Pidesco
A tad too aggressive. Language, man, language.

MzpydUh.gif

I've played through it and only bug I've encountered is the one where you can't recruit the new monk guy after you've rejected him once. Don't do dual screens, so hasn't crashed. Really loved it, though the blue color isn't that neat.

My thoughts on how character powers and urgency could be implemented:

http://forums.obsidi...nse-of-urgency/

I've played through it and only bug I've encountered is the one where you can't recruit the new monk guy after you've rejected him once. Don't do dual screens, so hasn't crashed. Really loved it, though the blue color isn't that neat.

I quit because the quest to get Firebeard's scroll is broken. A minor thing I know, but pretty damn annoying. IMO, it isn't worth the extra $10, especially when you can spend that $10 on BG2 and do BGT. I don't want Beamdog to crash and burn because of it though, I just will avoid BG2EE unless they provide content that a mod couldn't similarly provide.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

BGEE/BG2EE done to the D&D v3.5e rule set would have been a worthwhile purchase. But that would take a much greater modification to the game engine.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

You guys have a real vicious streak I can't really comprehend. :p

Yeah. I'm not a fan, and wouldn't recommend BGEE as a purchase to any windows user as you can get a better enhanced experience for cheaper from the base game, but some do rather treat it as if the grave of BG has been exhumed and the corpse given some, uh, not so tender loving. Despite not being a fan by any stretch in a battle of Trent Oster vs the receivers of zombieAtari it's Oster who'd get the support every time. Atari has been an utterly dreadful company (remember them stringing Obsidz along with a potential BG3, anyone?) recently even without the extra bonus of having receivers trying to maximise worth for creditors.

PS Atari receivers, I'll buy the Independence War IP for $50, get back to me.

• Like 1

A bit unrelated, I know, but who currently hosts the auto update files for NWN2 (when running the patcher). Just wondering if say Atari were to fold for good (rather than some kind of reconstruction), would it become a challenge to start hunting for said files?

@Zor: When you refer to BG3, are you talking about The Black Hound (which Atari managed to get cancelled when Black Isle was working on it).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

A bit unrelated, I know, but who currently hosts the auto update files for NWN2 (when running the patcher). Just wondering if say Atari were to fold for good (rather than some kind of reconstruction), would it become a challenge to start hunting for said files?

Try here. Not AutoUpdate, but as far as I know the only place to access updates at all. If you have the GOG version, it is already at the final patch.

BGEE/BG2EE done to the D&D v3.5e rule set would have been a worthwhile purchase. But that would take a much greater modification to the game engine.

Make that the Pathfinder ruleset and it would be an instant buy for me.

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 1

Try here. Not AutoUpdate, but as far as I know the only place to access updates at all. If you have the GOG version, it is already at the final patch.

My version is the old retail collectors edition (with maps and metal rings etc.). I might just get the GoG version as a matter of convenience (and while still available).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The patches are available from here on the new site. I'm not really sure whether the auto-updater would work with that site, but I've always used the NWNPatcher tool and that seems to work okay.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Well, BGEE is a lot more solid than the original Mac BG1 was, and it doesn't even work on anything post 2002, so I definitely got my money's worth out of it. ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif