3,5M Stretch goal: Surprise us Obsidian!

Now that it's quite obvious that we're going to get the 3,5M stretch goal, along with paypals and stuff, I'm really excited to see the concept designs for 2 cities. But throughout the forums I've seen that people are concerned of the possibility of both cities looking alike. I've seen many people asking for an underground city, which is cool, but let's see more interesting ideas. What can be that new big big city?

Here are a few from me:

-A cylindirical sinkhole with balconies on the perimeter. a bad example

-An ancient necropolis where the inhabitants dwell in tombs and catacombs. example for exteriors

-A natural cave/city with underground streams. example

-A city built inside an enormous living creature or atop a giant's shoulders. example

-One built around giant dragon bones or other giant rock formations. example

-An underwater city.

Say your own ideas please.

A magical hourglass so they can spend whatever time they want making the game and still deliver it in 2 years.

A Delorian will work too

Honestly I think they have enough in their hands already.

They can always cast "The Wish" spell. But i hope they roll good wisdom checks :)

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

Apparently they will surprise us! I just saw the winding path over the mountain-picture get enlarged. Now, like 300 000 away, there is a huge Count Strahd-Ravenloft Castle! Yay! :D :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

We have a huge dungeon and two cities. Now we need a wilderness area / an island type adventure. This would fit a colonial vibe I quite fancy playing Conquistador over human-sacrificing savages.

A city of tree houses maybe?

Can be a city built on the branches of huge, ancient sentient trees. Another idea can be a floating city built on an iceberg, or on a massive island. I am also thinking of a city built by an ancient race in an alternate dimension. Once you bring in magic, our imagination is the limit.

Venice, but more fantasical believe the city has been said to be Vialian and thier language is based off Italian. Of course we don't know anything about the first city, but I suspect it will be the Capital city of the Free Palatinate of the Dyrwood.

For me the game probably already has too much stuff. I don't really care about Crafting & Enchating, Adventurer's Guilds, or a second big city really as that just makes it harder to keep the amount of content on the same level of quality. There's also probably a couple too many classes.

There are also probably a few too many differences to the IE games, trying to fix things that they don't like but perhaps not necessarily the best way.

At this point I can only really think of voice acting and music budget. All elements need to be of good quality, not just the amount of choice/consequences and lines of dialogue.

Edited by Sensuki

For me the game probably already has too much stuff. I don't really care about Crafting & Enchating, Adventurer's Guilds, or a second big city really as that just makes it harder to keep the amount of content on the same level of quality. There's also probably a couple too many classes.

There are also probably a few too many differences, trying to fix things that they don't like but perhaps not necessarily the best way.

At this point I can only really think of voice acting and music budget. All elements need to be of good quality, not just the amount of choice/consequences and lines of dialogue.

The game still needs Cats darnit! We must hit 4,000,000 and get our cats!

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

Depending on just how big the world map is going to be (that we can actually explore/travel around), I think it makes sense to have two cities that will cover different countries / culture / race..

I'm guessing the standard city will be the pseudo middle-ages, humanocentric one (ala Baldur's Gate / Neverwinter etc), and the other one will potentially be something with a different visual theme.

Heh, although having been reading some Arabian Nights recently, I'm pondering just what a "mystical Bagdhad" would look like with the soul-magic and related aspects in this world...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

phpgICZWU5248_144670028078_502799_n.jpg

T.J. Hafer: We're getting a lot of questions about "Big Cities." Can you tell us more about the one that's planned now, and the one that will be added - as our commenter Loranc points out, "WHEN," not "If" :) - you reach 3.5 mil? Any chance for conflict between the two? defaultavitar.gif

Josh Sawyer: too early to talk about our first big city, sorry. :) but if we get the second big city funded, it will likely be very different from the first, possibly one of the vailian republics or a city on the pearl coast.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

As long as the two cities are really different it doesn't matter to me that much whether the cities are on top of clouds or in the deepest pits of abyss. Maybe the cities should be inhabited by different races? And it would be nice if at least one of them is next to an ocean.

I'd like it if your race/background determined which city the game starts in. Or if that is not possible that it would determine which city (or neither) that you were born and raised in (so that some NPCs there have different starting reactions to the PC). Added touches like that add to immersiveness and increase replayability.