Development time too short

If I recall correctly DOA took 3 years, same with Mass effect 1 for developing and creating new IP from the ground up. Don't want PE to end up like KOTOR 2 & AP. Anyone feel the same way?

Nope. You're comparing apples and oranges.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm pretty sure Obsidian will release it when it's ready, and not before. There's no publisher hassling them to rush it out the door. They know that fans will happily wait if needed.

I think this pretty much sums it up, I'd rather wait for a finished, polished game, which I think is a reasonably common sentiment.

fwul38.jpg

"There's a bodybag out there with that scudball's name on it, and I'm doing up the zip. Anyone who gets in my way gets a napalm enema. "

- Lister

I'm pretty sure Obsidian will release it when it's ready, and not before. There's no publisher hassling them to rush it out the door. They know that fans will happily wait if needed.

I think this pretty much sums it up, I'd rather wait for a finished, polished game, which I think is a reasonably common sentiment.

Definitely.

One of the things I love about the forum community for this game is that it seems to have gotten a higher number of more mature and less entitled individuals. I think that in this case we can trust that obsidian knows its audience and will release a polished game when it is done, not a rushed game to satiate the "give it now you said April 2014" crowd.

I would like to add my voice to the chorus of folks requesting that Obsidian take as much time as it needs to finish the game. Anothet half a year would be worth it if the game is released bug-free with extra detail.

• Like 1

Given that they're using Unity (so the engine is pretty much done already, just needs some tweaks to fit their vision) and the guys have clearly already been working on game lore, I think April 2014 is a fairly realistic release date.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind if they extended the release date so they can have more time to add polish. :)

Honestly, I was not expecting April 2014 in the first place. I as more expecting "sometime in late 2014", as these things always take longer. It'll take as long as it takes. I'm good... And without publishers breathing down their necks, hopefully we can avoid a KotR2/NWN2 incident where it seems a bit rushed at the last minute (well, in the latter case, right after that final boss-fight; which was, I'll grant you, by far the best I think I've seen an any of these RPGs, because we got everyone in on it.)

• Like 1

They should take as much time as they need. (Okay, five years would be too long). But I'd rather wait years for a good game instead of playing another rushed one like KotoR II, which terribly disappointed me :(

"Was du nicht kennst, das, meinst du, soll nicht gelten? Du meinst, daß Phantasie nicht wirklich sei?

Aus ihr allein erwachsen künft'ge Welten: In dem, was wir erschaffen, sind wir frei."

- Michael Ende, Das Gauklermärchen

On the countdown stream I asked in chat whether they were realistically expecting to ship the game by April 2014. One of the Obsidian guys, couldn't see who, replied with a confident "Absolutely." after reading my question. I'm not sure if that's the general mood in Obsidian but clearly at least one fellow there believes this is a realistic schedule.

Myself, I'm not so sure, especially with the preparation and shipping of physical rewards.

The one thing we gotta remember is that these guys are industry pros who have been making games for a long time, making a game that of a type they've made many times before, with way more resources and tools and less memory/hardware restrictions than they had before. If they were new indie developers, I'd worry, but these guys I feel pretty it's pretty reasonable that they can more or less hit their timeframe.

But if it pushes forward 3 or 4 months or whatever, that's always fine too.

Take the time to make sure the actual release is what you want to show to your fans, but remember to keep some fan interest in the game alive. I feel a publisher is easier to appease, you show them the money. The fans will want a lot and expect more.

Obsidian also have several thousand Beta testers to call on, bags not being the person coordinating that lot :banghead:

It is the old 3 way project management triangle - $ - Q - T; dollars, quality, time - you can have any two :)

After Kickstarter I am sure Obsidian have the $.

That leaves us with Quality and Time.

The original date was 2014 based on a 1.1m project, and without the numerous stretch goals. Budget has tripled (I am excluding fees / rewards), which means they may still be able to meet the deadline with planed Quality and Time; Obsidian also chose Unity to shorten multi-platform support.

I am confident a quality product will be released (as to are many of us I am sure). Whether it is at the start of Q2 2014 or later, we will have to wait and see :)

On the countdown stream I asked in chat whether they were realistically expecting to ship the game by April 2014. One of the Obsidian guys, couldn't see who, replied with a confident "Absolutely." after reading my question. I'm not sure if that's the general mood in Obsidian but clearly at least one fellow there believes this is a realistic schedule.

Well, they were drunk :biggrin:

Also, remember that KotOR 2 was released half a year ahead of the schedule Obsidian planned for thanks to Lucasarts wanting to get the holiday crowd, and they still came out with a diamond in the rough, so even if they stay true to the 18 month project, they're going to make something good again. Also bear in mind that South Park should be finishing soon; combining the money and manpower from that game with the resources from this Kickstarter, I think they can finish by 2014, if not by April, of course.

Fallout 2 was released a year after the previous one, BG2 two years after the first title, same for IWD.

Developing a low-budget game like Eternity is quicker than developing a full AAA production.

Anyhow, I think the April 2014 date is just an estimation: if Obsidian will think the game need more work and polishing I think they'll take more time to accomplish that. After all, there's no publisher with its tight schedule or such things.

Quite right.

People need to stop worrying so much about the estimated release date. Obsidian know what they're doing.

If I recall correctly DOA took 3 years, same with Mass effect 1 for developing and creating new IP from the ground up. Don't want PE to end up like KOTOR 2 & AP. Anyone feel the same way?

Please take you time Obsidian.

I'm absolutely sure they will extend their deadline if necessary, but 3 years is far too much. DA:O and Mass Effect are modern multiplatform-games made by modern standards. Better comparison would be Baldur's Gate which was made in about three years by unexperienced team and completely from scratch. Almost 20 years of technological advancement, ready engine, experienced team, many great examples on how to make this kind of games and no publisher breathing down their necks... April 2014 sounds very reasonable to me.

Don't underestimate Obsidian: Some of those guys have been in industry for decades. They know what they are promising.

No console ports and a lot less 3D modeling to do and no license holder to get approval from ... I dunno, I guess we just have to assume Obsidian knows what they're doing?

That's good point, consoles are time and money consuming, but I actually think the graphical style they chose takes as much or even more time than 'real' 3D, because they still have to model all the areas, render them, and then have artists to enhance the final image.

Edited by Haerski

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

Please take you time Obsidian.

doa took 6 years

• Like 1

Here lies Firedorn, a hero in bed.
He once was alive, but now he's dead.
The last woman he bedded turned out to be a man
And crying in shame, off a cliff he ran.

I dont think Obsidian will release the game in April 2014 if its not ready. Its just a place holder/estimation for now.

And as stated many times above by other forumites there wont be full voice over, overtop CGIs or full rendered cinematic. 18-24 months will be fine.

I think,

i have zero experince in making games :biggrin: so i can be completely wrong.

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

I would like to think that the vast majority of backers will be understanding that the game may take more time than the "expected delivery date".

It's simply to be expected with significantly expanded content and the extra polish that will require.

Hate to quote Blizzard but: "No one will remember if the game is late, only if it's great".