Designing an NPC

Exactly how much control do we get over designing an NPC at the 1k tier? Say I wanted to create (for instance) a person who's inborn talent was destructive magic, but they wanted to be a chanter instead. Could I do that? Or should I expect something more like "I want a level 12 elven paladin named T'Kal?"

Guess you'd have to wait for a dev answer ... when I saw on Twitter that Ray Muzyka (one of the founders of Bioware, who recently resigned) had pledged enough money to PE to design an NPC, I wondered whether they maybe would let him design an evil mage who gained his powers by drawing other people's energies ... named Electrus Artius ...

I was hoping they would exert some editorial control and not allow silly names or out-of-context characters. Some people can't resist that sort of awkwardness, so I expect a few "Sir Thomas Furball Cookienose" type oddball NPCs. :yucky:

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I PMed a dev a very similar question and didn't hear back. I want to know what kind of NPC it is, too. Someone standing in a bar grumbling about their spouse? A party member? A quest hub? I wouldn't spend a thousand bucks on a video game unless it was a pretty substantial contribution, and I think it needs further explanation.

I was hoping they would exert some editorial control and not allow silly names or out-of-context characters. Some people can't resist that sort of awkwardness, so I expect a few "Sir Thomas Furball Cookienose" type oddball NPCs. :yucky:

I think it can be safely assumed they will have editorial control, besides, the price barrier probably weeded out most people that would put in something like that. I am betting most of the NPC designs will be based off of memorable characters that have been rolled up, versions of themselves, and other things that mean something to them. $1000 is a high barrier for immature naming jokes, though I do expect we will see some humor and potentially odd easter eggs come from it.

Guess you'd have to wait for a dev answer ... when I saw on Twitter that Ray Muzyka (one of the founders of Bioware, who recently resigned) had pledged enough money to PE to design an NPC, I wondered whether they maybe would let him design an evil mage who gained his powers by drawing other people's energies ... named Electrus Artius ...

Oh my... While it's fascinating to know Muzyka will be designing an NPC, I have to wonder if, in a way, he wishes BioWare could have done something similar to PE?

Edited by Chaos Theory

Did he really? That's pretty cool if he did.

I guess he's still got a soft spot for those old IE games. ;)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I PMed a dev a very similar question and didn't hear back. I want to know what kind of NPC it is, too. Someone standing in a bar grumbling about their spouse? A party member? A quest hub? I wouldn't spend a thousand bucks on a video game unless it was a pretty substantial contribution, and I think it needs further explanation.

My guess is that if you want to create a guy standing in a bar, grumbling about his spouse, they would probably be happy to allow that ... If you have some NPC that will fit into a quest they have planned anyhow, they will be happy as well. If, however, you want your NPC to be a major one, someone the player will return to over and over, with massive amounts of dialogue.....uhm, I obviously cannot speak for the devs, but I think you had better have a REALLY good story in that case.....basically, they have said "within reason", so be reasonable.

My guess is that if you want to create a guy standing in a bar, grumbling about his spouse, they would probably be happy to allow that ... If you have some NPC that will fit into a quest they have planned anyhow, they will be happy as well. If, however, you want your NPC to be a major one, someone the player will return to over and over, with massive amounts of dialogue.....uhm, I obviously cannot speak for the devs, but I think you had better have a REALLY good story in that case.....basically, they have said "within reason", so be reasonable.

At the same time, though, for $1,000 you can (or could; it's closed now) design epic weapons and armor that people will likely use over and over and over, so is there a difference? I mean, I'm asking you. Isn't that the same thing? The devs said that some of the items we design will be among the best in the game. There is a certain implied longevity and frequency there.

Edited by SarcasmoTheGreat

At the same time, though, for $1,000 you can (or could; it's closed now) design epic weapons and armor that people will likely use over and over and over, so is there a difference? I mean, I'm asking you. Isn't that the same thing? The devs said that some of the items we design will be among the best in the game. There is a certain implied longevity and frequency there.

I was of this thinking too, until they announced the stretch goal which allows the player to make/enchant his/her own stuff. I think this will seriously limit the value of items we design. Basically, it's about lore at this point. Our designed items will have it.

He might even hade a sidekick named Gluteus Maximus who's kind of an ass...