How much should obsidian steer away from classic IE games?

How much should obsidian steer away from the classic IE games with PE?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want something new in terms of gameplay?

• No, what infinity engine games provided was more than enough. I don't even like the idea to introduce crafting.
    • The introduction of crafting and some changes to how the classes work in combat is enough.
    • I think that some IE features are outdated and should be changed (i.e., the old inventory system, the party management system...).
    • PE should provide a new gameplay experience: the "6 characters party" and "real-time with pause" should be the only IE features to be included in the new game.
  2. 2. Do you want something new in terms of setting?

• No. I love forgotten realms and I want Project Eternity to bring back that look and feel.
    • I'm sick of Forgotten Realms, but I still like high fantasy settings. Let's not go too far away from what JRR Tolkien invented.
    • I'm tired of high fantasy settings, but I still think that the game should sport a medieval or renaissance inspired setting with magic.
    • I want domething completely new, something different from everything we have seen so far in any game.
  3. 3. The area in which PE should improve its predecessors is:

• Combat gameplay
    • The dialogue system
    • The party management system
    • The ability to customize your characters
    • The inventory system
    • The crafting system
    • Player houses
    • Player freedom (there should be more and diverse things to do within the game)
    • Player agency (the ability to influence the events within the game with your actions)
    • Exploration

Well a major seeling point for this game was that it would bring back similar gameplay from the great IE games of old, so for them to stray to far from this would anger a lot of people.

Arcanum was everything to me. But lacks in party members management. I would love to get Arcanum HD with 6 fully playable caracters.

But still, unfortunately for me, you seems to be right ..

• Like 1

I'm more interested in an attempt to capture the feel of the IE games than attempting to reproduce the mechanics exactly. We have BG Enhanced if we want an old game with new technology. I want a new game in a new world with new mechanics that have the same feel as the old well written and well loved games of the Infinity Engine.

• Like 4

Although I voted I think this poll is coming way too late.

As for the voting options available, I don't think they are that interesting (19th century settings, for example, would be awesome).

Anyway, I feel that a completely different experience would require (or at least would be favored by) a completely different setting, one closer to Fallout or something a lot more futuristic which would allow a whole new world of possibilities of in-game technologies, gear, skills and philosophical approaches to dialog; also, I for once would really like to see what the artists would do with a futuristic setting in pre-rendered isometric art; I guess I'll be waiting for STASIS to come out even though it's not an RPG (I don't think Wasteland 2 will be that interesting artistically).

I've said this before: the only good reason I find for Obsidian to be setting this game in the typical phantasy world is the nostalgia factor. Otherwise I think they are missing a really big chance to explore a visual style which has yet a lot to offer.

About the crafting, I'm not sure I understand it properly, but I really liked obtaining objects to craft or enhance my gear on IE games, and that was good enough, because any minor upgrade I could get felt awesome.

Project Eternity: Interactive/animated or descriptive? Check my poll and vote!

I think for the most part the IE series of games did things rather spectacularly, considering the breadth of games that have entered the fray since the original BG back in the 90s, I haven't come across any game that has done significantly better then what this group of games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment) has on offer combined (which is what the devs are drawing inspiration from).

I do feel that one aspect was rather lacking however, which is player choice and the consequences of choice within the context of the world, so more of this (thinking Witcher 2 style player consequences) would be epic.

I also think combat can still be improved upon.

I'm more interested in an attempt to capture the feel of the IE games than attempting to reproduce the mechanics exactly. We have BG Enhanced if we want an old game with new technology. I want a new game in a new world with new mechanics that have the same feel as the old well written and well loved games of the Infinity Engine.

This. What made me fond of the IE games wasn't the mechanics, some of which I honestly found rather lacking at times. It was the world and the characters and the story. So if they can offer more compelling gameplay for PE, that's all well and good in my book. Personally, I'm looking forward to a deep and well-written tale with unique and interesting characters and a vibrant new world. Heck, if they manage to deliver something half as impressive in that regard as Planescape: Torment (which I still consider to be the best cRPG ever by far, story-wise), I'll be more than happy I supported them.

• Like 2

I don't think that Obsidian should steer away from classic IE games so much. Obsidian should include advances to game system representation from Temple of Elemental Evil, Arcanum, and Neverwinter Nights.

Edited by septembervirgin

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

I don't think they should steer away from the IE games too much. The goal should really be to create the ultimate IE-style game, taking the best aspects from all of them and improving upon some of the flaws. It's also pleasing to see them take some inspiration from other oldschool RPGs though, like Darklands. :)

The main thing I really don't want to see are any modern RPG trends like excessive streamlining, hand-holding, cinematics, etc.

Definitely the combat system, it was broken, unengaging and got only more boring and tedious as each IE game progressed. The encounter design was the only thing that saved Icewind Dale's or BG2's combat from being panned by critics and gamers alike.

Ditch the outdated RTwP in favour of ToEE-like turn based combat.

Didn't vote, cause I had a hard time distilling my exact feelings down to those poll options.

But, what I'm expecting of PE is a story driven, interaction heavy experience where your choices have an impact on the outcome coupled with interesting (real-time-with-pause) tactical combat both in- and outside of dungeons with heaps of atmosphere. Nooks and crannies to explore and varied side quests are a very big plus.

As to the actual mechanics: this isn't a D&D game, so if the designers feel that they can free themselves (and us) of that ruleset's restrictions and update and improve on it, then I'm happy to let them try. What I've seen so far looks promising.

• Like 3

No changes for the sake of change.

Think 10 times before you want to change something, then look into mirror, say "Is this change 1000% needed or I'm doing this because I don't want to look like I can't create something brand new". Then again think 10 times, drink a lot of vodka, then sleep, then again think 10 times, and only after that you can possibly change something.

No to experimentation!

No to fixing that is not broken!

No to changes for the sake of change!

Do not forget basis of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment. Just put all your effort to story, fine-tuning and quality control.

The game should stand on its own merits

Certainly there's no way that they can copy every game play element or design decision from the old IE style isometric games, because when you think about it, there's quite a lot of variety and difference between Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, the Fallouts, Temple of Elemental Evil, Torment, etc. Really the only unifying thing is a full party control, high oblique perspective and ... well ... some damned memorable gaming moments for me.

From what we know so far, the developers seem to have a lot of ideas, and JE Sawyer in particular seems to have a vision to tweak a lot of things that will take PE into a new direction we haven't necessarily seen before in those old IE games (in terms of game play and mechanics).

Cautiously, but with great curiosity, I'm looking forward to no resurrection, a Darklands inspired health system, a new magic system and the kind of story that George Ziets, Chris Avellone, Tim Cain and the aforementioned JE Sawyer can deliver.

difference between Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, the Fallouts, Temple of Elemental Evil, Torment, etc. Really the only unifying thing is a full party control, high oblique perspective and ... well ... some damned memorable gaming moments for me.

You haven't played Fallout and Arcanum, right?

They don't have anything in common with Infinity games like BG2 or PST. No party control at all, for example - and they don't utilize Infinity Engine, actually.

• Like 1

No to experimentation!

No to fixing that is not broken!

No to changes for the sake of change!

Do not forget basis of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment. Just put all your effort to story, fine-tuning and quality control.