Spanish not equal Spain, the project spanish page is wrong for 350 millions of people

Ah thank you. Sorry for the derail.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

• 1 year later...

Well, I only speak English but have had experience with "Spanish' speakers that come from south of the border over the many years.

I recall working in a shop where we had a number of guys working who were from Mexico.  They all could speak 'Spanish'.

However I remember them having a  very hard time communicating with some of our customers who were from south of the border and spoke no English.

Eventually they worked it out but.. took a lot of yammering and a lot of pointing.

The varieties of "Spanish" south of the border appear to be quite diverse.

The SPanish we learned in High School in the USA was Castillian Spanish, quite useless I understand for attempting to speak with denizens from south of Texas border.

I presume the Spanish used in this game is most likely based on classical, aka Castillian Spanish.

If they were to try and convert for all versions, they would go broke.

Hell, I have a hard time understanding some Englishmen as their variety of English is too tilted for my ears (Texan ears) and brain to grok.

While I must agree that the "latinoamerican" Spanish is FAR more homogeneous and acceptable than the one from Spain for non European people, there is a valid point from one of the "negative" posts behind me: The little details and subtlety's are always lost in the original translation from the native language unless the translations is made by really good professionals. (and even then, that someone tells you the "joke" / "double meaning" etc... is always less fun / rich that when you grasp it yourself)

I don't know if Obsidian can get that kind of people with the founds we gave them, or if it is that really important knowing that fans can probably translate the game to specific regions/country's eventually. Even if they do it, I would still recommend playing the game in the native language and trying to learn the little details of it. I learned lots of English by playing Planescape: Torment and searching every word and phrase I didn't knew. And years later it paid me well in the English classes too.

PS: I´m from Argentina.

Previously I've say the translations are a waste of time specially for Spanish.

Well Today I've visited the Spanish page for the project:

http://eternity.obsidian.net/es/

Obsidian you translated for Spain , so? Well happens more than 400 millions of people talks Spanish in the world but just 47 million lives in Spain. The biggest quantity of spanish speakers lives in North, Central and South America: From Mexico to Argentina.

That page for example use verbs and adjectives in the way just Spain uses it. This can be ok for the project page but not for the game. For a game with a lot of dialogue this can be awful.

I hope if you translate it go the a "neutral" spanish as a lot of movies.

Let me solve the problem for you: Pillars of Eternity is translated to castilian. End of story. :) Also, having more population speaking a variant language doesn't mean that there are the same number of actual real gamers that will purchase it. And even if there are, let's be honest, since when do developers care about "non cool" countries? No offense meant on my part, but if you are not in certain areas and you are a gamer, you are screwed to the point that Australian game pricing seems a joke.

Ideally, we should get both. Maybe when Obsidian gets bazillions of dollars a la Blizzard, they don't have to chose language variants over totally new languages.

Meanwhile, learning castillian should be far easier than other totally different languages. Lucky us that Obsidian has english as option.

It is true that when it comes to Spanish translations we have REALLY segregated markets. On the one hand we have "latin Spanish" which strives to be "neutral" and is accepted and consumed in all of Spanish-speaking latin american countries, and then a completely independent Spanish translation produced in and catering to Spain (as far as I know Spain was into the whole "neutral" Spanish thing until Franco's regime deemed that to be... bad). So, any given animated series that is dubbed for example, will have one dub for Spain and a different and independently produced one for Latin America (does this happen, say, with a german series entering Britain, America and Australia??).

While it's true that one form of Spanish is jarring to the "other side", I must say that it isn't *so* jarring when it comes to subtitles or written text. Not to mention that translating the game TWICE into Spanish is rather silly.

I watched cartoons in latin american spanish as a kid. I had no issues understanding them but I certainly prefer castilian (beign spaniard...). The real bigger issue can be vocabulary. At least based in my experience teaching castillian to a bolivian girlfriend. When a braid is a shoelace... who cares about some little grammar differences? :p

But yeah, from an economic point of view it could be seen as silly to have this double translation (instead of taking those resources for a different new language!!!). Like having to translate Doctor Who from british english to american english so yankees don't have to "suffer" alien vocabulary.

As a response

As an Argentinian, can you easily understand European Spanish? Would it really bother you if Obsidian settled for this version, or is it just an inconvenience (similar to AmE vs. BrE)?

I know about the difference between AmE and BrE but this is different, this isn't an inconvenience a lot of verbs as adjectives has a very different meaning, as example the verb "coger" for Spain that verb implies to take a thing in Argentina the uses of that verb implies to have sex.

Spain cannot be blamed from other countries' slang. Is it Spain's fault that spaniard women called Concha have a bad time in some latin american countries?

I didn't see a single first world country in his post :devil:

You didn't see Spain in his post about the Spanish language?

Meh. As a spaniard, I can say that our leaders are taking care of making us fifth world country with giant steps . *sigh*

• Like 2

So, any given animated series that is dubbed for example, will have one dub for Spain and a different and independently produced one for Latin America (does this happen, say, with a german series entering Britain, America and Australia??).

Can't speak for German films*, but the Godzilla movies had an "International" version in English (for the UK and subtitled through the continent in the appropriate language according to the English voice cast) and the American produced version for American audiences who needed both English AND Raymond Burr.

*IIRC Herzog's Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht aka Nosferatu the Vampyre had all of the dialogue scenes filmed twice, once with the cast speaking German and once speaking English, but that was an oddity requested by 20th Century Fox who thought it'd work better than dubbing the film in post.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

in the very few cases that movies from bavaria or some of the northern german states are recorded in the local dialect they sometimes are subtitled (and german dialects are the most different from each other, within one language, in the whole world, as far as i know. And I think this is true, i can't understand somebody from northern germany if he speaks dialect, and most germans don't understand bavarian enough to really understand what i am saying if i speak that language)

it happens a lot with swiss stuff though, that very often is subtitled in german TV

Edited by lolaldanee

As a response

As an Argentinian, can you easily understand European Spanish? Would it really bother you if Obsidian settled for this version, or is it just an inconvenience (similar to AmE vs. BrE)?

That demagogy ... For Spain, Colombia and Peru means the same, so don't bull****, Latin American countries also differ in many aspects between them, let's do translations for each other !!

Even if the biggest quantity of spanish speakers don't lives in Spain, keep in mind the number of potential customers because Sout American is not exactly "first world", not even close. I agree with a neutral spanish translation but it's so hard to achive.

For my Latin brothers:
Mientras la traducción no sea en un lenguage coloquial y sea culto se entenderá perfectamente en cualquier parte. Si introducimos expresiones de unos u otros hispanohablantes esto se vuelve un caos, que tanto nuestras expresiones como las vuestras nos suenan ridículas entre nosotros pero solo el tono informal de la casa o de la calle.