I quit Divinty 2 Ego Draconis about half way through. It lacked heart and soul. Can't recommend it.

Really ?? I loved it ....atmosphere..music ..etc ....just an amazing game ...

But hey we are all different ....

Maybe you can purchase remaster version and try again .....its very cheap on g.o.g

Wasn't BG2:SoA rated at 200 hours for playing through all the content (not just the main quest)? I seem to remember something along those lines on my game box (that box is now in another country, so can't look it up :|)

"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

its been hinted to be structured in a similar way as Fallout was i.e. critical path was -obtain waterchip, -defeat the Master- but Fallout had so much more to do than just that (extra content) and the critical path was hidden among all of it.

so my hope is that the critical path of PE is the size of one of the IE games, but with all the extra content (especially now with the 2nd city) that it reaches 100+ hours.

its been hinted to be structured in a similar way as Fallout was i.e. critical path was -obtain waterchip, -defeat the Master- but Fallout had so much more to do than just that (extra content) and the critical path was hidden among all of it.

so my hope is that the critical path of PE is the size of one of the IE games, but with all the extra content (especially now with the 2nd city) that it reaches 100+ hours.

I would love that length ....my ideal length for an RPG ...

With all the quests ,secrets etc ...100h+ should be a target ...

Final Fantasy 7 had almost 100 h as well...if you wanted to defeat all the weapons etc and wanted to get gold chocobo ....

At least it took me close to that ....also Xenogears I leveled up everyone to 99 level so I touched those levels aa well ....lol ...I think BG 2 I also did 100hours etc ....lol

I quit Divinty 2 Ego Draconis about half way through. It lacked heart and soul. Can't recommend it.

Really ?? I loved it ....atmosphere..music ..etc ....just an amazing game ...

But hey we are all different ....

Maybe you can purchase remaster version and try again .....its very cheap on g.o.g

Yes, I was maybe a little harsh with my comment... so sorry Larian Studios. :unsure: Graphically it was nice, with plenty to do and lots of creatures to slay. I just never really felt involved in the story, and so I basically lost interest after reaching the Orobas Fjords. It felt like a Might & Magic game with a modern interface. Loved Divine Divinity though, for whatever reason.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The problem with game length is that the variation from person to person can be 50 hours or more.

I remember someone laid out on a website how they used exploits and glitches to beat Dragon Age Origins in about 5 hours and insisted that this meant that the game had no content somehow.

I think a better question would be: how much stuff is there to do? In New Vegas the main quest is relatively short and consists of mostly walking around to discover locations. But in my latest playthrough I was at 150+ hours in with the main quest barely started.

If a game is tightly scripted it can be long by linking enough areas/hubs together (the original Deus Ex) but that is not the direction Obsidian is going for.

lol, it's flat out retarded anyone would claim that beating a game using glitches means it has no content o_O

You can beat BG2 in 26 minutes, but the game still has ~100-200hours of content, if you play it to enjoy it rather than to break it :)

"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

I want to ask one more thing ..its off topic here so I apologise ...

Why don't they run kickstarter for addtional 30 days and say get money for full voice overs etc ?

It is possible and can be done.

I don't think anyone even wants full VO. At least not a majority. So they're not even considering it. It's not just about the money, they've got just about 18 months to get this game to the market, not long.

IE style gaming, right? With all the choices and exploration it should go ~60 to 80 hours easy. And add to that potential expansions and (hopefully) mods from users can more than double that... At least I think it's a reasonable assumption.

Why don't they run kickstarter for addtional 30 days and say get money for full voice overs etc ?

I don't think anyone even wants full VO. At least not a majority. So they're not even considering it. It's not just about the money, they've got just about 18 months to get this game to the market, not long.

I suppose you are right ... I like full voice over .a la dragon age ....it brings a atmosphere to the game ....

Maybe next time then ....lol

This is what I'm hoping for. I love a good long game that lets you get immersed in the world and its conflicts. But I share Ignatius' problem with replaying long games. I want a game that will take me 100+ my first time, but a second more focused playthrough might take half that and third playthrough just doing the main quest and maybe some missed content might take only 20-30 hours. I like range in my games. I like to decide how I'm going to play a game as opposed to deciding to play this or that game based on length.

You can beat BG2 in 26 minutes,

I think it took me at least 26 minutes to get our of Irenicus' dungeon most of the time...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I suppose you are right ... I like full voice over .a la dragon age ....it brings a atmosphere to the game ....

I enjoyed DA's voice overs as well, but I always had a problem with my character in that system. In Origins he never spoke which, with everyone else talking, made it easy to RP only two types of characters, the stoic possibly retarded victim of circumstance or the unspeaking sociopath. Trying to fix this in 2 by giving my character a voice really just took the character away from me. Playing Planescape:Torment after DA, I actually felt like TNO was more mine than Hawke and TNO actually has a predefined history. I don't think full voice overs are the way of the future, as least as far as real RPGs are concerned, but I do enjoy hearing a line or two from the predesigined companions so that I get a feel for their voices.

I enjoyed DA's voice overs as well, but I always had a problem with my character in that system. In Origins he never spoke which, with everyone else talking, made it easy to RP only two types of characters, the stoic possibly retarded victim of circumstance or the unspeaking sociopath. Trying to fix this in 2 by giving my character a voice really just took the character away from me. Playing Planescape:Torment after DA, I actually felt like TNO was more mine than Hawke and TNO actually has a predefined history. I don't think full voice overs are the way of the future, as least as far as real RPGs are concerned, but I do enjoy hearing a line or two from the predesigined companions so that I get a feel for their voices.

This in a nutshell is the appeal of the silent protagonist, its an empty vessel for the player to insert him/herself into the story.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

This in a nutshell is the appeal of the silent protagonist, its an empty vessel for the player to insert him/herself into the story.

That's true. The silent protagonist is appealing because it allow the player a way into the game, but this becomes an issue when the protagonist is forced to be silent and he's the only one that is. The player character still needs to be able to talk to affect chance in the world around him which then must be reduced to text to keep him silent. I never figured out how to bridge the gap between a silent protagonist with full voiced companions. I couldn't help but feel like I was reading lines with them, but perhaps that's just a personal problem.

• Like 2

You can beat BG2 in 26 minutes,

I think it took me at least 26 minutes to get our of Irenicus' dungeon most of the time...

Same :p...at least. I like playing these games the way they were meant to be played - patiently, exploring every nook and cranny!

But figuring out a way of completing the game in 26 minutes is an impressive feat to say the least, and watching the video of it is disorienting. I love when people figure out ways of breaking my favourite games to do awesome stuff :). Most companies today try too hard to protect their games against that kind of stuff. It removes a lot of the games spirit. (Not saying games should intentionally have serious, game-breaking flaws.)

Lol....I disagree...

I loved voice over from D Age ... Hated D Age 2 .....lol

But I love Mass Effect voices best ....Shepard is top notch and when I play I'm him ...I identify with character .Same as with D Age ....

But I will have to get used to it again I suppose ...lol

BG2 & expansion for me was over 120 hours.

PST about 70 hours.

DOA 90 hours first playthrough with no DLC.

Kotor1&2 40 hrs each.

PE must be at least 60 hours minimum not sacrifycing quality for quantity. 80 should be ideal.

I did Kotor in 55 I think and kotor 2 the same ...

D Age also I took my time ...probaby close to your time ....I want PE to be 100hours ...plus ...