Romance and friendship?

You know, I never thought about it before.

But I hope Dragon Age 3 is a resounding success for it's fanbase and provides them entertainment with the base game, DLCs (both single and multi player) and expansion packs, for years and years to come.

Edited by Crusty

I'm sorry; it's just that reading this kind of thing is more than just a little infuriating. It's downright disappointing. Asking for these kind of influences in what could be a glorious renaissance of Obsidian is just depressing and the last thing I wanted to see in the morning. Here we have something that has the potential to be great and already people are trying to pull it into the mud with their fell and selfish desires.

I'm sorry, what? Just because people enjoy those romances you're now going to the point that they have fell and selfish desires and try to pull the game into the mud? Now that is disappointing. Everyone has their own things they like to see in the game and their own playstyle, one isn't necessarily more valid than another. Dragging a part of a fanbase through the mud just because they enjoy something and you don't is really crossing the line.

• Like 1

*Steps carefully to avoid the pit of knives and acrimony*

So from what I can gather, if they made the romanceable characters in Eternity have romance arcs like those in Torment (and only VOing the first line as in the aforementioned) most people would be happy? (I.e. it wouldn't be trite, wouldn't hamper development, e.t.c.)

Well, lets hope Obsidian takes heed then and models it after PS:T(it would, after all fall into the category of in the footsteps of previous Infinity Engine games, of which PS:T stands as a giant).

For my part, I hope romances burn. But if they are indeed in this is the way to go..

prototype00

I have taken the liberty of fixing your terribly inaccurate post.

• Like 1

Say no to popamole!

You achieved: boner.

Hey man... I don't think anyone here is asking for nude scenes and open sex in project eternity. I think the majority of the people in this post is just asking for good romance stories, the ones you can read in good books.

• Like 1

What does that have to do with anything he's written?!?

Read his post again, if you don't understand.

No to experimentation!

No to fixing that is not broken!

No to changes for the sake of change!

Do not forget basis of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment. Just put all your effort to story, fine-tuning and quality control.

Gary Gygax. And neither wrote any romances for their games. (see, I can do it too! R00FLES!)

In DMG 1st edition there was actually a table to generate random prostitute for a character. And a lot of D&D novels and modules involve romance.

And about argument. It's good idead to respect games, that started an era of IE games that Obsidian is trying to recreate.

Edited by Mrakvampire
  • Like 1

No to experimentation!

Do not forget basis of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment. Just put all your effort to story, fine-tuning and quality control.

Since you all pro-romance people ignored my question, I'll repost it:

I have to ask a question that why romance-relationship would be deeper than what I suggested: A "Brothers in Arms" of type camaraderie without romances? What makes romances more deeper than relationship like that?

I've never seen a game where that is really done well, in basicly almost all of the RPGs I've played companions are basicly your lackies, not your equal (or close to that).

So why should romances get foreseat instead of that kind of friendship, since it's also almost never done well?

What does that have to do with anything he's written?!?

Read his post again, if you don't understand.

I am afraid you will have to take pity on my pitiful intellect destroyed by alcohol and explain it. Preferably in simple words and short sentences.

Say no to popamole!

I would like romances in PE. I think there really isn't much more to say. Arguments certainly seem fall on deaf ears on both sides of this discussion (if it's even arguments that get exchanged).

Obsidian should just do what they think is best and not feel pressured by either side.

I have to ask a question that why romance-relationship would be deeper than what I suggested: A "Brothers in Arms" of type camaraderie without romances? What makes romances more deeper than relationship like that?

I've never seen a game where that is really done well, in basicly almost all of the RPGs I've played companions are basicly your lackies, not your equal (or close to that).

So why should romances get foreseat instead of that kind of friendship, since it's also almost never done well?

From what I gather from interviews companions are your lackeys because otherwise they'd steal the spotlight away from you. There is an amount of player ego involved that most developers don't want to diminish. It doesn't sell as good for one. If you truly want that kind of camaraderie you end up playing co-op or something like that.

I'm shure at obsidian will develop deep and engaging storylines for each and every companion. Storylines that don't necessarily involve love, but that will treat different subjects. A brother in arms storyline would be great.

Because Sawyer agrees as do I with this. Sawyer pretty much stated that he won't add romance unless it's done exceptionally well. So basically...

Sawyer: I'll re-state what I wrote before: I want romance to receive either less or more attention in games. Anything worth doing is worth doing well, especially when it's something with so much emotional potential. But I certainly don't want to go the route of harem anime, which is total fantasy indulgence and gross pandering.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

Romances take away choices, though.

If you are have a romance-able character as a companion, it means everything you do when you talk to him would be about romance, because that's how he will react. You cannot have a simple conversation without him/her coming into your character. Likewise, it also means a lot of character-type can't exist, or if the author try to do a certain character type but add romance, then it will destroy it.

It's completely untrue. Just play BG2 and you will see that there is no forcing romance on you and there are PLENTY of different characters without romances at all.

For gods sake, they created Minsk, the best RPG character evar.

+Jaheira: Jaheira was supposed to be a very much older Aunt-like character in BG1, who has been married for a while. Her husband dies, and she has a quest about her old masters (the harpers). She also becomes romance-able... and 99% person fo her character dies then. Also, saying you don't want to go out with her is the 'end' of talking to her (like saying you do want to, amusingly.)

WHAT??? It's total ... Sorry for being rude, but what you say is total noncence. Jaheira's romance is one of the best ones in BG2 and makes her character so deep... Hell. I don't even want to talk with you you about this whole romance thing after such statement from you.

• Like 2

No to experimentation!

You don't follow the trend. Nowadays what you said is concidered a, if my terminology is up to date, a "Bromance".

Every ****ing character development must have --romance in it! Or it's not deep!

I'm just hoping that if they build in romances, one gets the option of having somewhat more casual relationships. In many Bioware games I get the feeling that every single romance ends in declarations of undying love, people adressing you as "My love" and ****.

When you take banter up to a level, it becomes romance. It is an evolution of what people want in their games.

Stuff killed me outright like a bullet to the head.

Heh, define "people".

Say no to popamole!

Every ****ing character development must have --romance in it! Or it's not deep!

Actually yes, cause love - is one of the core emotional things in this world. Only 'foreveralone' guys don't understand this.

No to experimentation!

This is what I picture as bromance... (kind of silly imo)

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

Actually yes, cause love - is one of the core emotional things in this world. Only 'foreveralone' guys don't understand this.

Actually it's mostly the foreveralone crowd that is campaigning for romances while weeping into a body pillow. Not that love has anything to do with cRPG romances, so nice strawman there, 7/10.

Edited by evdk
  • Like 2

Say no to popamole!

Because Sawyer agrees as do I with this. Sawyer pretty much stated that he won't add romance unless it's done exceptionally well. So basically...

Sawyer: I'll re-state what I wrote before: I want romance to receive either less or more attention in games. Anything worth doing is worth doing well, especially when it's something with so much emotional potential. But I certainly don't want to go the route of harem anime, which is total fantasy indulgence and gross pandering.

What are you even saying? Romances should take foreseat ahead of "Brothers in Arms"-type of thing because Sawyer says that romances shouldn't be done unless they can be done well? What that has to do anything with Romances vs. Brothers in Arms?

I ask again: Why should romances take foreseat ahead of the "Brothers in Arms"-relationships if both can be done well? What makes romanes so goddamn much more important than anything else?

Romances/Love/Sex/Frienships i hope they are in the game.

Personaly remebering my life a good chunk of my motivation to do **** was to get leid!

Even now with my girldfried still a lot of my motivation is keep geting leid with her. I love her and i want to make her hapy, i want her to be wel, etc.

And every time i have done something i didnt want to do outside work was because a Friend wanted me to do it. Romance or friendship is part of life, in story driven games with motivations, love, sex and friendship is a grate way to motivate the character to do stuff.

A love story withing the game is a good way to make the pc do stuff.

The stakes in the world are done from your bonds in the wolrd, if you dont have bonds you dont care about the world. And that feels wrong. A Story driven with i dont want to die like in NWN2 its not realy that compeling.

For example you find a companion that lost everithing they had in the world and wants to die in combat, so its a crazy companion later he becames your friend and then he decides helping you is a motivation to keep on living, and then he decides that he deoes not want to die in battle at lest not untill he helps you. Then during the curse of the game he finds more reasons to keep living, etc.

I want a deep story in the game, not just the plot but the motivation of each character, their story, all need to be deep and real.

If you dont want that you are in luck with the Hall of companions or what ever is called. Create your own companions with no story a la IWD.

• Like 2