If their donation thing doesn't succeed (it looks like it has 10k goal), does it not fund? I put in $50 bucks, but would like to put that to the Kickstarter if it doesn't make it.

i believe that whatever gets 'chipped in' goes to the kickstarter on the last day (or last hour, or minute). the 10k goal is there just because that's the highest tier that can be pledged.

from the AMA

sensuki

There was concern raised on the forums about the proposed health system based on Darklands. If a character is knocked unconscious from running out of endurance, would you program enemy AI to strike down said character, or ignore them and attack your remaining characters that are not unconscious? Would this be related to difficulty level / expert mode

Obsidian_Ent[S]

JESawyer: We'll have to see, but generally speaking, spending time finishing off an unconscious foe while able-bodied combatants continue to pose a threat is not tactically wise.

• Like 1

As for regeneration, I'd like to experiment with handling health in a manner somewhat similar to the 1992 RPG Darklands. Characters have two health resources: Stamina and Health. Proportionally, the character takes much more Stamina damage from an attack than Health damage. Stamina recovers relatively quickly on its own (and with the aid of magic) but Health damage requires rest. If a character hits 0 Stamina, he or she will go unconscious. If a character hits 0 Health, he or she dies.

This sounds a bit strange to me... Why would I lose Stamina from getting hit (and not from attacking)? I know it is just a mechanic, but it should at least make sense.

Because this game will likely become a test site where Josh and Tim can go wild with extravagant and fancy ideas. No xp for kills, HP regenerate on their own during combat (so you can take cover) etc.

As for regeneration, I'd like to experiment with handling health in a manner somewhat similar to the 1992 RPG Darklands. Characters have two health resources: Stamina and Health. Proportionally, the character takes much more Stamina damage from an attack than Health damage. Stamina recovers relatively quickly on its own (and with the aid of magic) but Health damage requires rest. If a character hits 0 Stamina, he or she will go unconscious. If a character hits 0 Health, he or she dies.

This sounds a bit strange to me... Why would I lose Stamina from getting hit (and not from attacking)? I know it is just a mechanic, but it should at least make sense.

Because this game will likely become a test site where Josh and Tim can go wild with extravagant and fancy ideas. No xp for kills, HP regenerate on their own during combat (so you can take cover) etc.

No ****. Looks like they never heard of "don't fix it if it isn't broken" and "never change a winning formula/team". These changes to the mechanics are substantial - the game is starting to look more and more like a Dragon Age 2 / New Vegas Hybrid every day.

wtf. :banghead:

Edited by dlux

:closed:

NO. This game is starting to look more and more like a real hardcore PRG. Darklands was hardcore. It seems thath some backers just can't accept that this game is not going to be a D&D copy. The HP/Stamina idea is great imo. The objective focused XP is not that great. I would prefer sth in between, but I can live with it, because apart from the drawbacks I can see th eadvantages. Open your mind people. Analyse the systems. This is nowhere near what modern RPGs have in terms of mechanics.

It has been years since Obsidian worked on IE games, what the players of present day want has changed, the way developers make games have changed, and their perceptions of what worked, on what was and should be popular nowadays have evolved. I believe we will get a game which will be modernized, while some memories of the past will resurface, and will be tweaked to fit present day's ideas.

It has been years since Obsidian worked on IE games, what the players of present day want has changed, the way developers make games have changed, and their perceptions of what worked, on what was and should be popular nowadays have evolved. I believe we will get a game which will be modernized, while some memories of the past will resurface, and will be tweaked to fit present day's ideas.

I don't think so. If it is modernized, it will be only with regards to things that didn't work in the old IE games or can now be solved in a better way, because the technology allows it. And some things will just be changed to differentiate the game from a blunt D&D copy. Doesn't mean these changes will make the game more accessible for modern players. From what I can see, it will be the other way round. Modern players are used to easy XP for killing peasants with pickaxes for weapons. They are used to having tones healing spells and potions to help them in a battle. They are used to not having to worry that their characters will die. They won't find any of those features in PE.

Edited by norolim

No ****. Looks like they never heard of "don't fix it if it isn't broken" and "never change a winning formula/team". These changes to the mechanics are substantial - the game is starting to look more and more like a Dragon Age 2 / New Vegas Hybrid every day.

wtf. :banghead:

Really? How many times must it be said, this is not a recreation of whatever game you have so much nostalgia for that you pee your pants every time you see the box cover.

This is a setting that the designers have free reign to implement the ideas that they have always wanted to you in the spirit of their previous games without the strangle hold of IP and publisher demands. If you don't want that, then pull your pledge and move on. I am all for critical discussion, but enough with the whining hyperbole.

The objective focused XP is not that great.

Why? You can still fight through like in old IE games and get objective XP, anyway. People who can possibly have a problem with this are just those who wouldn't like other people to get objective XP through different ways.

As for stamina/HP, I agree. It even dates back to old PnP Dragon Quest, which predates that JRPG and has almost nothing in common except western fantasy setting. If someone wants to know how it works, play Darklands. I think it's same as the name "cool-down" - the same name doesn't necessarily mean the same function. I don't know why some people appear to rush into taking things out of their context.

The objective focused XP is not that great.

Why? You can still fight through like in old IE games and get objective XP, anyway. People who can possibly have a problem with this are just those who wouldn't like other people to get objective XP through different ways.

No, you misunderstood. Getting XP throught accomplishing objectives is great. That's how this should work. My slight (mind you slight) problem is that you can only get XP if you accomplish a quest related goal. I would also like to get XP for kills, but not in the traditional way. I understand why the old way is not working. As I mentioned in another thread and someone before me in the update thread, the best solution is: Epic enemies (dragons, giants) - reasonable amount of XP; Standard enemies (your average Orc): very little XP; Insignificant enemies (peasants and kobolds that are e.g. more than 3 levels below your level): no XP.

Edited by norolim

Personally, I'd like to see a different take. Since the PE world is tied to reputation system to make a reactive world, how about killing a fearful creature attract attentions of different factions. People who value valor may try to reward you/ask a further combat-focused quest. Peasants living near the area of the territory of the creature may thank you, too. As a twist, a certain group may be unhappy with such deeds due to their beliefs (Maybe druids, or some people believe the creature as sacred or a part of sanctuary). Or killing the apex predator can change the power balance in the area and may cause new issues. Any GM can reward the players with EXP but good GM can reward them with interesting story developments.

• Like 1

The problem with "Insignificant enemies (peasants and kobolds that are e.g. more than 3 levels below your level): no XP. " is that when you have to fight trough such enemies it get extrem anoying very fast. To implement no xp from to low level encounters "gray enemys" never should attack you unless you attack first and some even run from you in fear. Also I still think a encounter should give exp no matter what way you use to solve it (if you simply sneak past them, fight them or use other ways to get past this obstacle like a bribe).

Edited by Adauli