What's Everyone Looking For In Strongholds?

The bathroom? :disguise:

The harem. Or maybe that's just me. Opium dens, cathouses, gambling halls, bars...I'd like to be able to turn my stronghold into the city of vice if I wanted to.

• Like 2

"When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift

Dungeons & Dragons has rules for mobs or swarms. It has also had rules for mass combat. The ability to adventure with a mob of soldiers would be fun or, alternatively, a mass combat mini-game as part of the stronghold system.

If they went with the mob of soldiers route, instead of controlling the hero and companions you would control a single entity: 'the military unit'. That unit would consist of soldiers with swords and bows. When controlling them in combat you could choose the formation and they would all attack on autopilot based on the formation. It would be most like controlling a single character but would visually look like 10-20 simple characters making either melee, ranged, or a mix of melee & ranged attacks.

Formations:

Advance - attack melee only

Defend the archers - a line of melee defends the archers while most character pepper the enemy with arrows

Mix - equal numbers of melee and archers

Archer support - majority melee with a few archers as support

Etc.

Give me heads on pikes.

I need to think this over a bit more.

What is there to think about? Nothing says be aware, like some heads on pikes. Exept big sign held by trained Ogre that says BE AWARE, but in this day and age, you can never rely on common folk's reading ability. People take you more serously whn you are more, eh graphic :getlost:

I guess that's what we should expect from red-robed wizards :p

I do like the idea that the aesthetic you choose also has an effect. So building a gallows, or heads on spikes mean npc dialogue changes a little.

I think the ability to build a tall tower as a study is necessary. Where else would the Mage/psion/priest/druid ponder the universe?

think big! Why just a tower when you can make it a university for wizardry?

So you picked on that :thumbsup: haha, I thought i was being subtle, but nothing is ever subtle about redwizards. Yes, they are quite an inspiration. But there are others, many others, classics, like Saruman. Dare I say he had mighty fine Tower :grin: , an isnpiration through out the ages and all magical realms.

Aesthatic in that context should matter as you say. I like sound off that, Acolytes of Tauron, only female aplicants, hehe I am not kidding, with my hedonistic traits It would be death of me. Hmm, School of wizadry, with a Magetower being the tallest Tower ofcourse! Image is evrything! Mage Tower FTW :sorcerer:

Give me heads on pikes.

I need to think this over a bit more.

What is there to think about? Nothing says be aware, like some heads on pikes. Exept big sign held by trained Ogre that says BE AWARE, but in this day and age, you can never rely on common folk's reading ability. People take you more serously whn you are more, eh graphic :getlost:

You would also have to assume that the ogre would hold the sign facing the right direction. Or that he won't eat the sign. It's hard to find good Ogre help these days.

The ability to enhance the stronghold as a reflection of your character could really help make it feel like a home away from (player) home.

I have a lot of questions about what we will be able to do with our land.

Will you accept farmers to work the surrounding lands? Will you animate skeletons to work the fields?

Do you recruit hunters for guards, Orcs or death-cultists? Should you train militia archers, Barbarian knaves or Monks?

What Gods will be honored in the Keep's temple? Will there be a temple at all?

How expansive will your dungeon be? Will it be a basic jail, torture chamber or gladiatorial pit?

Can you build a moat and fill it with aquatic horrors or Weresharks?

Are the fields around your keep used for farming or left to grow? If they farm what do they farm?

Are there bees? Can you make mead?

Exactly who is allowed to settle in the community around your keep? Who gets to decide that?

Will your keep be decorated with a particular religion's iconography? Art and relics pillaged from lost tombs? The skeletal remains of they who hath crossed you?

How often does it get harassed by monsters or vandals? What can I do to stop the attacks?

Can I decide where my keep is located or is it in a fixed location?

Do you breed goats and cows or goblins and worgs?

Will there be 'ye olde magike shoppe' for all my potion and magical item needs?

Is my keep going to provide money or require money?

I think the ability to build a tall tower as a study is necessary. Where else would the Mage/psion/priest/druid ponder the universe?

Ogre com made lol, literally! All good and valid questions. Devs will have to adress this issue. That we can modify Stronghold to our gameplay. Oh Xcom base comes to my mind. I am not thinking of ant farm thingie, but if we can get the feel and design of Strongold, that reflects on our character gameplay, personality. That would be great. I am not sure how much of that is acually possible..so I am going for something feasible, Mage Tower :sorcerer: in the Stronghold!

The bathroom? :disguise:

The harem. Or maybe that's just me. Opium dens, cathouses, gambling halls, bars...I'd like to be able to turn my stronghold into the city of vice if I wanted to.

I like how you think, ah the harem. But Harem in my language also can mean graveyard, so that is bit disturbing, but tastes should not be discussed...there are few dead chicks I would like to reanimate :brows: *rawr* As matter of other stuff, good, good, but takes away focus from what really matters, aquisition of raw magical power...so best to have a companion tend to 'monetary issues'. One should also inflict him/her with a Geas like spell, just in case. You know, cant buy me love, but what you cant buy, you can enchant. Which brings me to Mage Tower :sorcerer:

• Like 1

magic021.jpg