What's Everyone Looking For In Strongholds?

I'm interested in hearing what others are looking for in strongholds, so I'm copying my post from another thread:

"What I'm hoping for in the stronghold is customization and the ability to upgrade how you want, possibly through side quests. For example, maybe you start off with a wooden wall for your stronghold and have to clear a quarry of a monster infestation so the miners can get in to mine the stone, allowing you to create stone walls and buildings. Or maybe before you even start your stronghold, you have to help a group of loggers establish a camp in a forest, possibly by clearing out monsters, or alternatively through helping the loggers set up defences and traps.

In the start, your party and companions recruited may all live in a single home, but as you upgrade your keep, maybe the companions gained through the story will gain their own homes, which they will upgrade and customize how they want, possibly by you doing side quests for them. The stronghold should also be a place where you can send your companions when you don't want them in your party, so you don't have to memorize where you left them, and perhaps they can do useful tasks for you if you have the right buildings in your stronghold. For example, if you build a library, companions (especially wizards) will be able to do their research there, and maybe you can do side quests and buy books for it, the research will be more efficient and if it is a good enough library perhaps it can give your party a slight intelligence bonus. If you build an obstacle course/training ground, your companions will be able to train physically, learning new fighting techniques and skills, and maybe your party gets a constitution/strength bonus. Similarly, a zen garden for monks and ciphers to meditate at, and for everyone to relax at, a temple for paladins and priests to worship at, and for companions to pray at, and a bar for entertainment and honing charisma. Maybe there can even be side quests to recruit NPCs to improve these buildings, such as getting a bartender for the bar, a librarian for the library, a drill master for the obstacle course and training grounds, guards for your stronghold in general, etc.

Perhaps we can even build buildings that effect the game play. For example, if you build gardens, recruit gardeners, and bring them seeds, they will grow the plants for you, and you won't need to go into the wilderness and harvest the herbs for crafting. Similarly if you build a mine within your stronghold, you will be able to get miners to get you stones and ores for crafting weapons and armors. Perhaps if you live on an ocean or river, you can build a dock and hire a dock master so you can have fast travel between ports, or build a fishing boat and hire fishers to give your stronghold a source of food. Or you can build a stable for fast travel on land, and later build caravans to allow for trade between your stronghold and other communities.

The point is, you build and upgrade your stronghold how you want, and the time you invest in this gives you greater rewards, both aesthetically in how your stronghold looks, and in terms of game play by giving you better companions and talents, and how the game can be played."

• Like 10

NOT to be building an army to lead as some great leader. Sure, you may need to hire on guards and the like, but I am more interested in the things the OP mentioned about getting libraries built for wizard characters, temples for religious characters and, along with peasant homes built nearby, be taxed by you for extra income. The ability to be a harsh but fair ruler, a benevolent ruler, or a blatant mobster who extorts money from his people would be good ("Bob hasn't payed his protection boss!" "Send the boys round to remind him...")

• Like 8

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Obsidian's Stronghold announcement sounded for me like house's next stage.

PC: Chairs? Done. Alchemy table? Done. Hmm, I forgot something... Fortifications! That's it.

The Party:...

Actually it would be neat to start Stronghold from scratch. I don't even need traditional castle with knighthood, when some nasher tells you "you are mine mine mine hope of our kingdom". I still don't know PE lore well. Could there exist some independent village which could use some good/harsh/chaotically stupid hand?

So, what I liked about CK.

Being a quest giver. A nice change. Things happen without you, even more - they are solved without you. Even those 'adventurers' had some point despite their idiocity.

Construction. Nice to see things that are changed by your decision and which actually play a role.

Money management. I usually don't gather much money simply because I don't need it, here I got a reason to do that.

Soldiers/Militia. Watch how your little army, you've trained and equipped, fights for your name (or dies because they didn't take flame potion against trolls). Good thing for a virtual ego.

What I'm looking for besides things above.

Three (four) main types of buildings. Social, for Stronghold inhabitants in general; Military; Personal, for team-mates and class-defined for PC, and possibly some decorative things.

Maybe more interaction with civilians/soldiers. Trainings, speeches, something like this.

Possibility to affect some quests if you meet requirements. For example you saved a merchant, but the road is still dangerous. If you have spare men you can assign them so merchant will surely get to destination point (that wouldn't be free of course).

Sorry for the long post.

• Like 2

Honestly im kinda hoping for the Wizard Training school experience like the Sphere in BG2, dont know why but i havent been able to find an experience like it since and the idea was kind of cool to me. (Yes, i am aware of the Harry potter games, and No i do not believe they should count as it seems really........kiddy, plus its all following a story so there are no real decisions just if u dont do this then you are stuck here forever.)

What I'm looking for in a stronghold is several things.

1. I want a project that I can call completely mine. I want to customize *MY* stronghold to fit MY aesthetic preferences and my strategic preferences.

2. The stronghold should flatter my Ego. as such it should be hard enough to get that it feels like an accomplishment. it should also mean that I can do powerful things here.

in order not to break the game, perhaps they should only be possible here, or come at a significant enough cost that while worthwhile, it's a tactical decision.

3. My stronghold should matter in the game world, I would enjoy some quests that open up upon completion of certain upgrades of the stronghold. different strongholds get different quests. So I could mix in politics, become the benevolent (or not so benevolent) dictator of my fiefdom, build a centre of learning or a successful business mini city (with whorehouses, or warehouses, whatever I choose)

4. going back to #1, I want a project, that means that I don't mind that it requires some quests to add or alter and grow the power of my stronghold.

5. I want my stronghold to remain relevant to me throughout my game, not a thing to do and then cast away after it is finished.

I'd have some suggestions on how to do it, but I trust the team is capable enough to figure out good ways themselves.

• Like 5

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I was thoroughly confused when they announced this feature, as I'm not sure it fits too well. I mean, I liked the various pubs and places in BG, but a fortress? I did enjoy being able to acquire a "lair" such as that brat's castle, or the druid grove, but those were mostly little side-areas you could do one or two fun quests for, they were zones you'd already cleared of monsters repurposed as a non-combat zone, not something designed from the ground up to be your "fortress".

I'd rather always be on the move, than have a place I'm encouraged to return to. To me, RPGs are about travelling. A sRPG like Fire Emblem or something might invite you having a "fortress" but I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense here.

If nothing else, I'd like this fortress to be something you TAKE OVER much like BG2. This shouldn't be some heirloom or ancient thing you find lying around in the wilderness and just set up camp there, that just seems too contrived. I'd prefer if this 'fortress' of sorts was just a hub that had some interesting quests associated with it. I'm not so sure I care about the concept of "upgrading" it - unless it's going to be used as an end-game "hold out against a bazillion enemies attacking your fortress" kind of deal.

Nor am I particuarly interested in playing a "castle dress-up game" - not that I dislike such games, but it just doesn't feel like it fits within the scope of a low-budget IE knock-off. I'd rather dialogue branch 10% more often than have a house that I can change the color of the drapes or decide whether to raise or lower the draw-bridge.

Edited by anubite
  • Like 2

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

I think the player house, if it is similar to The Sink in Fallout: New Vegas - Old World Blues, pretty much satisfies all my needs for a home base. However, a Stronghold could be a really cool source of sidequests. As the OP writes, perhaps some quests can be about upgrading and improving the Stronghold. Your various companions may want certain things to be added. Occasionally some messenger could rush up to you while you're out in the world and inform you that something is going down at your stronghold. Difficult decisions about how to rule the area around the stronghold (if there is anybody to rule around there). Reactions to those decisions. The list goes on, really.

To me, the stronghold is more important as something that connects the player to the world (with amenities, quests and everything else) than a mere base of operations.

Make sense, not war.

It should definitely be something that remains relevant throughout the game and is truly an accomplishment to achieve. I like the idea of it being something to take over but I'd be fine if it was something I had to build too. I don't care about drape colors or stone patterns but I would like to feel like I'm actually responsible for creating it, running it, defending it, for projecting power from it; and for loosing it if I make dumb decisions.

If I get to build it then I'd like it to be modular and I'd want to have a few different choices in design element prefabs that fit within the world and location aesthetic for each "section". I'd like to see some choice in location as well as costs that vary depending on those location and structure complexity if we get to build it.

I should also have to defend it: I can't imagine some local road bandit gang, rebel warlord type are going to stand idly by while I create this thing too close to their area of operations. For those looking for something a little closer to civilization I can imagine a King, a Parliament or Counsel is going to be too please with a structure like this going up without some loyalty assurances, taxes being levied and whatnot. Of course then you have potential conflict with any existing guild or temples you might be competing with or be in opposition to.

Whether now, in future expansions, or hopefully in both there is a world of possibilities opened with the implementation of strongholds.

• Like 3

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.

If there are strongholds upgrades I hope upgrades tend to between either A or B and not A and B. I love upgrading strongholds, but often it just feels like something you should do, instead of something that reflects your choices and playstyle. If you have a courtyard, you can make it a market place or a training yard, each with its own advantages. I would love to see diversity, a druid choosing to turning the surrounding forest into a layar of defense or a dwarf chosing for bigger and stronger walls.

I dislike the idea of the stronghold being mainly about bonusses it can provide to you. I prefer it to be woven into the story, where you can choose to either defend your stronghold from an incoming raid or chase the bad guy. The number of merchants travelling by your stronghold depending on the safety of the surrounding area's and may share more information as their profit becomes better.

• Like 3

Quantity, I'm tired of strongholds that feel deserted. It really makes it feel small when I only have a ballista, 3 farmers and 2 soldiers and then I'm expected to fight off the hordes of the entire underworld, which translates to being transported to a new area (which I never seen) to fight alongside soldiers(that I didn't knew I had). Quite frankly, it throws whatever familiarity I have with the stronghold out the windows and suddenly i'm not fighting to keep my property.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'd like a little history, plenty of mystery, and some peasant laborers to keep the bowling lawn properly trimmed. Plus a garderobe, of course, fitted with traps to keep out the riff-raff.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I guess a minecraft or modding-kit caliber of castle design is out of the question, so... whatever they feel like giving me.

Maybe something not as in-depth then, but the ability to stylize the stronghold to a particular culture.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

A crazy, ultra ambitious town building mini game with its own economics simulation, quests, and defensive battles.

Ok, that's ambitious. But heck, the old sim games similar to such were made by a handful of people at most. I'd easily be happy if some of my money went to hiring someone just to make an awesome stronghold(s) play area the entire time.

• Like 1

I actually wouldn't mind the ability to have a standing company of soldiers you could send out to do various things around your demnese. Make roads safer, build homes, uproot dangerous kobold infestations. Possibly murder uppity peasants if that's what floats your boat.

The ability to build it in the middle of a lake would be great for my own personal nostalgia.

Suikoden_4_01.jpg

• Like 2
pyp6.jpg

Personally I’d like to see several options that you’d need to choose from when you are establishing the original stronghold either by conquest or reward or however Obsidian wants to do it. You’d get three options that represent different specialties: Industrial, Commercial, or Military.

These three specialties would rely on different locations to set their tone. Industrial in a mountainous area, Commercial in the plains or a river area, and the military building could be situated along key road ways. Each of these stronghold types would have a series of add-ons you could build or repair to give various boons to either the stronghold production or your party.

Industrial

• Headquarters: Guild Hall (can upgrade to improve security, goods quality)
  • Primary Building: Foundry (produces high-quality metals used in other structures or trade)
  • Primary Building: Ore Mine (generates ore used for the foundry)
  • Secondary Building: Smithy (grants an equipment boon to your party, either a flat bonus or special equipment)
  • Secondary Building: Metalworks (produces metal-based trade goods to generate wealth)
  • Wealth Building: Mint (generates money by using precious ores)
  • Protection Building: Militia Barracks (equipped miners and craftsman)
  • Populace Housing: Row Houses (spartan living quarters in close proximity to eachother)

Commercial

• Headquarters: Town Hall (improve to increase security, higher tax income)
  • Primary Building: Town Market (generates wealth, random chance at unique merchants\items)
  • Primary Building: Textile Mill (utilizes flax (or other crops) to produce trade goods or special gear)
  • Secondary Building: Library (research, in-game information repository, bonus to casters)
  • Secondary Building: Dockyard (allows for greater trade range, boosts wealth production)
  • Wealth Building: Tax Office (collects taxes from the merchants and farmers)
  • Protection Building: Town Watch (semi-professional guards)
  • Populace Housing: Farms and Cottages (generates tax income and supplies the mill)

Military

• Headquarters: Motte and Bailey (improve to add stockades for security, more troops)
  • Primary Building: Armory (better equipment for the party and troops)
  • Primary Building: Archery Range and Fletcher (allows for professional archers in your troops, bonus to ranged equipment for the party)
  • Secondary Building: Stable and Road Patrol (increased security, faster travel from the stronghold for the party)
  • Secondary Building: Training Yard (Bonus stamina to party and troops)
  • Wealth Building: Toll Booth (generates wealth from collected tolls, better secured roads = more travelers = more tolls)
  • Protection Building: Army Barracks (professional soldiers)
  • Populace Housing: Fort Quarters

All three would additionally be able to house a religious structure or two depending on the value of the stronghold. Obviously the more built up the town, the more followers that could exist to a faith. All of these buildings could have 1-3 tiers to allow for continued investment. Possible quests could involve stopping bandit raids on your farms, cleaning out parts of the mines of monsters as mentioned above, assaulting a river-based pirate ship, etc.

All the headquarters would be able to facilitate communication with your companions, a seneschal who helps run the community, and associated NPCs that you could recruit to your town. When you don't have companions with you, they'd provide bonuses to various aspects of the town based on their current skills or class.

The stronghold's primary job should be giving your party boons and wealth, without requiring constant contact. It is an element of the game that can be utilized as much or as little as the player wants. It could utilized basic supply and demand to determine income levels, and just have some simulated events that occur while you're adventuring to add and subtract to the value of the stronghold. There should be no best option for how you go about creating the town, and there could be an investment cap into the place so that it is impossible to upgrade all the building types to their maximum level. If you were confident of your ability to fund the town through adventuring, then you could focus mainly on the party boosts and not the economics.

• Like 3

I actually wouldn't mind the ability to have a standing company of soldiers you could send out to do various things around your demnese. Make roads safer, build homes, uproot dangerous kobold infestations. Possibly murder uppity peasants if that's what floats your boat.

The ability to build it in the middle of a lake would be great for my own personal nostalgia.

Suikoden_4_01.jpg

Our castles-in-the-middle-of-a-lake must kung fu battle to the death.

jcod0.png

Since your character (and party) cannot be at the stronghold at all times, there needs to be a guard assigned to protect it, and, obviously, a captain of the guard to see they do the job. I'd like to see if I could pull Minsc from FR to be the captain of the guard. :w00t:

Edited by TCJ

Suikoden_4_01.jpg

Our castles-in-the-middle-of-a-lake must kung fu battle to the death.

"All right, let's see what you've got!" (Special Attack)

pyp6.jpg

I want to take a lot of what everyone has said combine it all, and that's what I want. :)

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The shadow in the corner of your eye. The cold steel pressed to your throat.

The beautiful vision that may be your last.

Do not breath, for the Petite Death has your Soul in her hand.

I'd like to see both construction and recruitment options. If I build a temple, there should be several options for priests to recruit for said temple, do I build a bazaar style market with many merchants selling a variety of things, or larger fancier shops selling less variety, but more specialised items. Do I recruit the seedy bartender who will run the local tavern as a front for criminal activity in exchange for a cut, or someone higher class who will run a top notch eatery. As much customization as is doable, with as much depth as possible. Make sure there are plenty of connected quests. For securing resource supplies, relations with neighbors, threats, etc.

Ideally what I would like is for your stonghold to be Big Big City 2.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg