Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Poor beastiary, Unsatisfying Creature variety "Unacceptable".

Beastiary Creatures Wildlife Animals Monsters

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

But I do mean it like this immediately got assaulted by what I remember to be "A giant HIDEOUS" Centipede... Which I'll add I never saw anywhere else EVER again. So I remember it "VERY" well. IT PARALYZED my warrior(main character), and nearly slew me.

I guess you didn't play Baldur's Gate 1 ?

Carrion Crawler :p

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10589 posts
Who cares about creatures. I want carnivorous mega-flora :(

Just imaginge trudging through glorious swamps, fending off tentacles from unknown submerged entities, trying to drag the unskilled adventurer to an ignominous death, just to rush towards a small patch of land to discover that the slime and muck covered "dead" foliage is humongous venus fly trap leaves. The only way up is grabbing the "vines" hanging down the rotting, dead trees, to discover that they are choke vines that will entangle you like sundew, holding you paralyzed for days while slowly digesting your innards. Who needs dinosaurs???

TCJ

TCJ

Court Fool of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 186 posts

Variety is garbage I say, give me nothing but bland oatmeal and tepid water! I demand it!

Odds are that's what you'll be having after having pledged so much!
  • Parallax likes this

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

Bridge Troll of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Variety is garbage I say, give me nothing but bland oatmeal and tepid water! I demand it!

How upset would you be if your oatmeal was of the flavored sort... say... "Apple cinnamon"...

Ooooh! ... no wait? ... I mean "feh"
  • bronzepoem likes this

ddillon

ddillon

Hellion of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Who needs dinosaurs???

Me! I want to ride a triceratops into battle while wearing nothing but a loincloth, screaming at the top of my lungs, alternating between flinging fireballs at my enemies and using the beast's massive head plate as a shield! Too much to ask? :p

Mega-flora could be cool... but only if there's a hot Poison Ivy lookalike, too...

Edited by ddillon, 14 October 2012 - 08:18 PM.

• Krownor likes this

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10589 posts

Who needs dinosaurs???

Me! I want to ride a triceratops into battle while wearing nothing but a loincloth, screaming at the top of my lungs, alternating between flinging fireballs at my enemies and using the beast's massive head plate as a shield! Too much to ask? :p

Mega-flora could be cool... but only if there's a hot Poison Ivy lookalike, too...

I think rideable mounts have already been rules out? :p

Hmm, do dryads count as "flora"?

Erollisi Marr

Erollisi Marr

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

But I do mean it like this immediately got assaulted by what I remember to be "A giant HIDEOUS" Centipede... Which I'll add I never saw anywhere else EVER again. So I remember it "VERY" well. IT PARALYZED my warrior(main character), and nearly slew me.

I guess you didn't play Baldur's Gate 1 ?

Carrion Crawler :p

I've played both, and it was the first where I had this whole extravagant adventure... I think I was about thirteen years old when I played it... Still a young cat so the whole dungeons and dragons ruleset was completely new to me(and somewhat hard to learn walking in a blank slate). Hell... When's that Remake of this going to be done anyways...?

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
November 30 for BG1:EE

I played Baldur's Gate 1 before I played Dungeons and Dragons as well.

my first D&D campaign was a 2 player session with my friend DM'ing, in the Dark Sun campaign. Probably my most memorable D&D experience too. I got to level 7, but then I died. Damn Ettins.

Edited by Sensuki, 14 October 2012 - 08:27 PM.

Valorian

Valorian

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 971 posts
Those are valid points in the OP. I'd rather have a very varied bestiary than another big city and 10 levels of a gigadungeon. Monster models will be 3D and big cities will also need some 3D stuff, no? Will the big city 2 need some unique (creature) models as well? Is the team who develops creature art and models completely separated from the team who creates scenery art and models? There's 1,5 years left.

Bobby Null

Bobby Null

Lead Designer

• Developers
  • 102 posts
Adam and I discussed this a while back. Our goal is to get a large assortment of creature types in PE. There is a huge list of requested creature types ( I made the list myself) and I am sure they won't all make it into the first game, but we should be able to get quite a few of them in. Undoubtedly, Josh will want to change some creatures on the list as the lore of PE continues to get fleshed out.

Here are a few things to remember.

1. Our camera angle will allow us to make faster creatures. They won't need to be in cinematic cut scenes and the textures of the models will not need to be as detailed.
2. With the camera angle, the rigs should require fewer animations to make them look good.
3. We aren't as concerned about memory as newer CRPGs since we are PC exclusive. Having too many creatures types loaded at any given time creates real memory concerns on consoles. This is a big reason why you don't see combat encounters with 5 or 6 creature types (animation rigs) in most AAA console games. It's also one of the reasons you see smaller party sizes in those games.

There is always a trade off. I'm sure the large creatures in Dragon Age (that grappled party members) required a ton of animation support and testing. I'd guess this is one of the many reasons the creature variety was a little on the sparse side as the OP mentions.

Lastly, as the PE world gets bigger (with expansions and sequels) our bestiary will continue to grow. For example, BG2 benefited from the entire creature library of BG1.
  • Volourn, Rabain, Kai and 7 others like this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
This talk of DA is funny since it had nearly as large a monster variety as BG did.

Bobby Hull is good at hockey, developing, and posting. :)

Anyways, I too hope there's a good avriety. I'm hoping for a good mix of 'ol dependables, rare but recognizbles, and unique/PE only type monsters. A mix of stuff is always good.

Erollisi Marr

Erollisi Marr

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Those are valid points in the OP. I'd rather have a very varied bestiary than another big city and 10 levels of a gigadungeon. Monster models will be 3D and big cities will also need some 3D stuff, no? Will the big city 2 need some unique (creature) models as well? Is the team who develops creature art and models completely separated from the team who creates scenery art and models? There's 1,5 years left.

I think that's about my stance on this too. I too would rather have more beasts and fauna(be it plants and animals or demons and abominations) then simply more rooms to battle the same things I've already seen.

The peasantry... er, "nobility" here however claim that creature variety comes included with the extra content to be added via the stronghold, mega dungeon, and extra city. I state that such luxuries are lackluster "without" the above too. I personally have to take such things on word. But I think we can all agree on this.

A twenty floor dungeon loses some of its appeal if all you fight on all twenty floors of it are various "orcs".

Erollisi Marr

Erollisi Marr

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Adam and I discussed this a while back. Our goal is to get a large assortment of creature types in PE. There is a huge list of requested creature types ( I made the list myself) and I am sure they won't all make it into the first game, but we should be able to get quite a few of them in. Undoubtedly, Josh will want to change some creatures on the list as the lore of PE continues to get fleshed out.

1. Our camera angle will allow us to make faster creatures. They won't need to be in cinematic cut scenes and the textures of the models will not need to be as detailed.
2. With the camera angle, the rigs should require fewer animations to make them look good.
3. We aren't as concerned about memory as newer CRPGs since we are PC exclusive. Having too many creatures types loaded at any given time creates real memory concerns on consoles. This is a big reason why you don't see combat encounters with 5 or 6 creature types (animation rigs) in most AAA console games. It's also one of the reasons you see smaller party sizes in those games.

There is always a trade off. I'm sure the large creatures in Dragon Age (that grappled party members) required a ton of animation support and testing. I'd guess this is one of the many reasons the creature variety was a little on the sparse side as the OP mentions.

Lastly, as the PE world gets bigger (with expansions and sequels) our bestiary will continue to grow. For example, BG2 benefited from the entire creature library of BG1.

Hearing that the list is "huge" gives me a good sense of security. I wonder what diabolical creations and artistic nightmares you've concocted for that menagerie you speak of... Hopefully things that surprise and appear unexpectedly...

Ranath

Ranath

Master of Bats of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

Hearing that the list is "huge" gives me a good sense of security. I wonder what diabolical creations and artistic nightmares you've concocted for that menagerie you speak of... Hopefully things that surprise and appear unexpectedly...

Like the Spanish Inquisition?
I hope it has lots of little critters that don't add much in aggression but add a lot to the realism; mice, dragonflies, fishes, birds, … I can only dream of small ecosystems with dragonfly hunting bats for example … The greatness of games is in the details; readable books, being able to charm the millers cat as a ranger, being able to interact with unimportant citizens in the street … details aren't what you put on the box to sell your game, but it's what makes the difference between immersive and boring on many occasions. But I must say the boring gored out hack-and-slash populism is the last thing I'd expect in this specific genre ...

jivex5k

jivex5k

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Please let me kill birds and make use of their feathers!

Wolfenbarg

Wolfenbarg

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 155 posts
They aren't making a next gen game. They're making a game based on design ideas from a decade ago. I'm sure they'll have plenty of time to make the world and the creatures in it.

khango

khango

In Memory of Genghis Khan

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I'm hoping there's a unicorn hunt.

Bobby Null

Bobby Null

Lead Designer

• Developers
  • 102 posts

I'm hoping there's a unicorn hunt.

We won't be implementing a unicorn hunt. A ponycorn hunt though, that is possible. :fdevil:

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5516 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
A huge list of monsters is right up my alley! And don't forget that you can vary monsters quite a bit using the same models, so it should be a real encyclopedia of creatures out there: heaps of various undead and distorted humanoid races that all have one goal in common: Stealing your Boots of Orlankind!

Jarmo

Jarmo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'd like to see an occasional rabbit in the woods, 'cause they're all fluffy and neat. :)
Other than that, I'd be completely happy if all the opponents were humans. Wouldn't even need elves or dwarves.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beastiary, Creatures, Wildlife, Animals, Monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users