Poor beastiary, Unsatisfying Creature variety "Unacceptable".

Who needs dinosaurs???

Me! I want to ride a triceratops into battle while wearing nothing but a loincloth, screaming at the top of my lungs, alternating between flinging fireballs at my enemies and using the beast's massive head plate as a shield! Too much to ask? :p

Mega-flora could be cool... but only if there's a hot Poison Ivy lookalike, too...

I think rideable mounts have already been rules out? :p

Hmm, do dryads count as "flora"?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

But I do mean it like this immediately got assaulted by what I remember to be "A giant HIDEOUS" Centipede... Which I'll add I never saw anywhere else EVER again. So I remember it "VERY" well. IT PARALYZED my warrior(main character), and nearly slew me.

I guess you didn't play Baldur's Gate 1 ?

Carrion Crawler :p

I've played both, and it was the first where I had this whole extravagant adventure... I think I was about thirteen years old when I played it... Still a young cat so the whole dungeons and dragons ruleset was completely new to me(and somewhat hard to learn walking in a blank slate). Hell... When's that Remake of this going to be done anyways...?

November 30 for BG1:EE

I played Baldur's Gate 1 before I played Dungeons and Dragons as well.

my first D&D campaign was a 2 player session with my friend DM'ing, in the Dark Sun campaign. Probably my most memorable D&D experience too. I got to level 7, but then I died. Damn Ettins.

Edited by Sensuki

Those are valid points in the OP. I'd rather have a very varied bestiary than another big city and 10 levels of a gigadungeon. Monster models will be 3D and big cities will also need some 3D stuff, no? Will the big city 2 need some unique (creature) models as well? Is the team who develops creature art and models completely separated from the team who creates scenery art and models? There's 1,5 years left.

Adam and I discussed this a while back. Our goal is to get a large assortment of creature types in PE. There is a huge list of requested creature types ( I made the list myself) and I am sure they won't all make it into the first game, but we should be able to get quite a few of them in. Undoubtedly, Josh will want to change some creatures on the list as the lore of PE continues to get fleshed out.

Here are a few things to remember.

1. Our camera angle will allow us to make faster creatures. They won't need to be in cinematic cut scenes and the textures of the models will not need to be as detailed.

2. With the camera angle, the rigs should require fewer animations to make them look good.

3. We aren't as concerned about memory as newer CRPGs since we are PC exclusive. Having too many creatures types loaded at any given time creates real memory concerns on consoles. This is a big reason why you don't see combat encounters with 5 or 6 creature types (animation rigs) in most AAA console games. It's also one of the reasons you see smaller party sizes in those games.

There is always a trade off. I'm sure the large creatures in Dragon Age (that grappled party members) required a ton of animation support and testing. I'd guess this is one of the many reasons the creature variety was a little on the sparse side as the OP mentions.

Lastly, as the PE world gets bigger (with expansions and sequels) our bestiary will continue to grow. For example, BG2 benefited from the entire creature library of BG1.

• Like 10

This talk of DA is funny since it had nearly as large a monster variety as BG did.

Bobby Hull is good at hockey, developing, and posting. :)

Anyways, I too hope there's a good avriety. I'm hoping for a good mix of 'ol dependables, rare but recognizbles, and unique/PE only type monsters. A mix of stuff is always good.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Those are valid points in the OP. I'd rather have a very varied bestiary than another big city and 10 levels of a gigadungeon. Monster models will be 3D and big cities will also need some 3D stuff, no? Will the big city 2 need some unique (creature) models as well? Is the team who develops creature art and models completely separated from the team who creates scenery art and models? There's 1,5 years left.

I think that's about my stance on this too. I too would rather have more beasts and fauna(be it plants and animals or demons and abominations) then simply more rooms to battle the same things I've already seen.

The peasantry... er, "nobility" here however claim that creature variety comes included with the extra content to be added via the stronghold, mega dungeon, and extra city. I state that such luxuries are lackluster "without" the above too. I personally have to take such things on word. But I think we can all agree on this.

A twenty floor dungeon loses some of its appeal if all you fight on all twenty floors of it are various "orcs".

Adam and I discussed this a while back. Our goal is to get a large assortment of creature types in PE. There is a huge list of requested creature types ( I made the list myself) and I am sure they won't all make it into the first game, but we should be able to get quite a few of them in. Undoubtedly, Josh will want to change some creatures on the list as the lore of PE continues to get fleshed out.

1. Our camera angle will allow us to make faster creatures. They won't need to be in cinematic cut scenes and the textures of the models will not need to be as detailed.

2. With the camera angle, the rigs should require fewer animations to make them look good.

3. We aren't as concerned about memory as newer CRPGs since we are PC exclusive. Having too many creatures types loaded at any given time creates real memory concerns on consoles. This is a big reason why you don't see combat encounters with 5 or 6 creature types (animation rigs) in most AAA console games. It's also one of the reasons you see smaller party sizes in those games.

There is always a trade off. I'm sure the large creatures in Dragon Age (that grappled party members) required a ton of animation support and testing. I'd guess this is one of the many reasons the creature variety was a little on the sparse side as the OP mentions.

Lastly, as the PE world gets bigger (with expansions and sequels) our bestiary will continue to grow. For example, BG2 benefited from the entire creature library of BG1.

Hearing that the list is "huge" gives me a good sense of security. I wonder what diabolical creations and artistic nightmares you've concocted for that menagerie you speak of... Hopefully things that surprise and appear unexpectedly...

Hearing that the list is "huge" gives me a good sense of security. I wonder what diabolical creations and artistic nightmares you've concocted for that menagerie you speak of... Hopefully things that surprise and appear unexpectedly...

Like the Spanish Inquisition?

I hope it has lots of little critters that don't add much in aggression but add a lot to the realism; mice, dragonflies, fishes, birds, … I can only dream of small ecosystems with dragonfly hunting bats for example … The greatness of games is in the details; readable books, being able to charm the millers cat as a ranger, being able to interact with unimportant citizens in the street … details aren't what you put on the box to sell your game, but it's what makes the difference between immersive and boring on many occasions. But I must say the boring gored out hack-and-slash populism is the last thing I'd expect in this specific genre ...

Ranath the Not So Wise - Master of Bats, the Obsidian Order

A huge list of monsters is right up my alley! And don't forget that you can vary monsters quite a bit using the same models, so it should be a real encyclopedia of creatures out there: heaps of various undead and distorted humanoid races that all have one goal in common: Stealing your Boots of Orlankind!

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Like the Spanish Inquisition?

Well played good Sir!

Well played!

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Monster variety ? Who cares about this stuff ?

Combat is just the filler between the good stuff, anyways.

Not really. Combat is very important, specially in a game where you control an up to 6 members party. Combat gives real meaning to gear, skills, gold, etc, and monster variety, more than visual variety, means tactical variety and gear variety. We must go back to those book/board games: imagine how boring it would be if every fight had the same monsters described. If combat is just filler why not go for an adventure game instead of a RPG?

I hope there will be a good variety of monsters with different methods to be defeated.

Project Eternity: Interactive/animated or descriptive? Check my poll and vote!

Well, with games like IWD2 and BG2 it was different: those games already had an enormous list of creatures available from previous IE games, whereas in this case they have to design and animate all of them from scratch.

To me what matters the most is that every visually different creature requires a different killing method/tactic, besides having a good deal of monsters which can be killed with normal weapons, I hope to see some really unique creatures akin to their geography too, and I also hope to see some really BIG monsters to defeat. Makes things all the more epic.

I wasn't very hopeful about how the game would look but I was positively surprised, so I'm trusting Obsidian on this matter too.

Edited by descalabro

Project Eternity: Interactive/animated or descriptive? Check my poll and vote!

Who needs dinosaurs???

Me! I want to ride a triceratops into battle while wearing nothing but a loincloth, screaming at the top of my lungs, alternating between flinging fireballs at my enemies and using the beast's massive head plate as a shield! Too much to ask? :p

Mega-flora could be cool... but only if there's a hot Poison Ivy lookalike, too...

With any luck there's a LARPing group out there somewhere just for you

;)

Anyone else here getting the feeling Obsidian is spreading themselves really thin with all this talk on BIG goals. And that Mega dungeons a WHOLE new story in itself if its the same creatures and monsters on "every" floor.

Yeah, Just imagine it. This big huge world filled with a miniscule amount of wildlife and fauna, that after like two hours of playing you'd have seen near everything? Does that sound fun?! I can see it now, they'll be all like, "We got bears,wolves, and boars, that's a wrap for wild animals". And lets not get started with a lackluster variety of undead(there's more then zombies and skeletons), but I'm sure some folks don't even want to see "that".

You know what I'd like to see, Maybe not as they are in our prehistoria... But I'd love to see dinosaurs, Yeah YOU can bet JURASS I'd like to see dinosaurs! Though once again I'm sure AGAIN people wouldn't want to see this either... Or better yet, how about some original Creations? Dungeons and Dragons was Bloated with the sort. From Carrion Crawlers, to Ankhegs, to Vrocks(You know, the demons)... And even I remember my first encounter with the now WAY overdone Gelatinous cube(still welcome sight)

Do people even care if their adventure is full of bizarre creatures? Maybe folks really do just want to kill the same things... Over and over and over... And never want to slay something truly Bizarre and monstrous... I'm sure Obsidian knows this too...

Do "you" care if they save their budget on this feature, and keep the creature variety limited to an amount countable on ones hands? If there were only "ten" creatures in the game(not including the main humanoid races), would that be something that hurts your enjoyment of this game?

Hell, What creatures would you be upset "not" seeing? Or better yet, what creatures would you "BE" upset seeing?

Did you play Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate? Did you have fun? Were the worlds teeming with 12,000 types of flora and fauna?

Yes, that is a very important element. No good enemies, combats arenothing.

Good night everyone.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget