Considering the role souls and transmigration seem to play in the world lore right now, if there are liches or lich-like beings in the game they might be heavily integrated into the world at some level, rather than some monster you bump into while exploring tombs and other out-of-reach places... But if you have beings capable of binding and manipulating their own souls to the extent it confers some form of immortality on them it's somewhat unlikely that it'll be an option open to players from character creation.

I'm really interested in how the lich archetype will play out in the project eternity world though. It would be really cool if user character(s) are capable of becoming something like that during the course of the game, with all the associated downfalls and taboos.

Granted having a real 'lich' in the game world might be too D&D and lead to potential intellectual property issues.

• Like 1

Yo, check it. Uh. Uh yeah, here we go.

They call me DJ Phylactery, scourge of destiny master of arcane epiphany, who you fools think you are tryin to bust a cap in me? Rollin through my dungeon lookin to plunder, wizard tryin to steal my thunder its a wonder you made it past my traps at all; the spiked wall, the acid pit, I got so many minions I'm swimming in kobold ****, but my greatest weapon's my wit, and y'all bit off more'n you can chew, so draw those +3 butter knives and let me serve you!

'Cos I drop hot rhymes like delayed blast fire, stop time when ****'s down to the wire, I spit heat like a dragon, got more bling than his horde, and twice as many bitches as goblins got worgs! What'choo got? Fighter's got feats but he can't rhyme, Rogue can stab some fool's backs but he can't touch mine, Monk's got his McFlurry but it's all watered down, and Cleric's turn undead won't make me give an inch of ground! Face it, dawg, y'all is out classed. I'm strictly epic tier, ready to drop yo' paragon ass. Best go grind some XP if you hope to do well, I'm like the Temple of Elemental Evil and you ain't even been to Keep on the Shadowfell.

Yeah, DJ Phylactery represent. Don't be hating just cos I got such a high challenge rating.

/tg/

• Like 3

OK, let's have some enemy bosses being lichs. I liked them in BG 2 even if I think Kangaxx was not the strongest enemy.

But as a playable race? I think some highlevel abilities are difficult to implement. Leveldraining? Often leads to overpowering. Immunity to magic: the same. In which way would undead gain power? Maybe other immunities. Soulmanipulation is already part of the ciphers... for me thats enough. :)

This is actually pretty interesting given the lore surrounding necromancy that was recently revealed. It seems that souls work in a natural cycle, sort of akin to reincarnation, with souls moving on with the advent of death and birth. Necromancy seems to be an attempt to defy or alter this natural cycle, and explore its mechanics. Liches are essentially ambitious wizards or sorcerers that seek immortality, and do so by preserving their soul within a magical phylactery and by making their body undead. Thus, they are able to have an unlimited pursuit of knowledge; with their humanity as their price, and can defy this natural cycle, essentially exploiting a loophole in the natural order. It can certainly make for some interesting characters, at the very least.

Oh dear, Lichs. I'd rather have the opportunity to become a vampire. But thats a personal preference i guess :D And I could live witch Liches as well.

"Was du nicht kennst, das, meinst du, soll nicht gelten? Du meinst, daß Phantasie nicht wirklich sei?

Aus ihr allein erwachsen künft'ge Welten: In dem, was wir erschaffen, sind wir frei."

- Michael Ende, Das Gauklermärchen

I wouldn't dislike them as enemies or particular NPCs tied to quests.

But, with the context of P: E world, I'd like them to bee different from the usual cliché.

Maybe a lich could be someone who is able to extend his life by periodically binding the soul of a dead to his own body.

This would make him, maybe, the top of what P: E necromancy has to offer.