Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #23: Less than 50 Hours to Go! Documentary News, Playing Cards, and New Wallpaper!

project eternity update 23 documentary feargus urquhart playing cards reddit ustream wallpaper

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

hideo kuze

hideo kuze

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
YES! Hurray for the documentary! I was really looking forward to it :dancing:

Also, please record the ustream!
Not everyone is able to watch it live.

hhhhmmmmhggggrrrrr.... you still haven't fixed Forton or what's his name! >_< :bat:
(explanation here)

Edited by hideo kuze, 14 October 2012 - 02:40 PM.

Shoeless Joe Jackson

Shoeless Joe Jackson

Barefoot Fanatic of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Do the playing cards get added to any of the tiers automatically or are they strictly a separate add on?

Kaldurenik

Kaldurenik

Demilich of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Do the playing cards get added to any of the tiers automatically or are they strictly a separate add on?

The playing cards are only available as a addon right now

gsalerno

gsalerno

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Another good update! Documentary is a nice bonus, and I'm sure the cards will be awesome too.

Just wish I wasn't in the UK, I'd love to go for a physical tier but don't want to get stung by import taxes...

You can use services like "viaddress.com" for receiving goods in USA and then from there ship to europe. When you ship you can declare any value for the goods....

Clammo

Clammo

Coffin Dodger of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
The documentary is a really generous idea. Love the cards too, going to get a few of those.

Oh, and I''d echo Hideo Kuze's sentiment about please record the D&D session, etc, as that's going to be pretty late in my time zone.

Edited by Clammo, 14 October 2012 - 03:30 PM.

Apatia

Apatia

Lurker of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Great update! Tempted to put $10 more for those playing cards..

Another good update! Documentary is a nice bonus, and I'm sure the cards will be awesome too.

Just wish I wasn't in the UK, I'd love to go for a physical tier but don't want to get stung by import taxes...

You can use services like "viaddress.com" for receiving goods in USA and then from there ship to europe. When you ship you can declare any value for the goods....

Huh, might have to check that viaddress out. Thanks!

Edited by Apatia, 14 October 2012 - 03:32 PM.

mstark

mstark

Oblivious of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Awesome, I get a documentary :D!

I am with everyone who wants you to record the DnD session! I won't be able to watch much of it live :(.

Plasma Jesus

Plasma Jesus

Emperor's Champion of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Great update, the documentary's gonna be fantastic, can't wait too see it.
I do love me some playing cards, but since y'all said you'd announce another reward tier and add on on Tuesday ill wait till then, and probably get them anyway.
We can definitely hit that $3.5 million mark! Onwards and upwards! :w00t:

Krios

Krios

Blessed of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Nice update, both the documentary and the cards were what I had asked for. Question is are the cards already included in any of the existing tiers? I did not see a mention of this.

ddillon

ddillon

Hellion of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I love themed playing cards! Good idea. Added to my pledge.

The documentary is cool, too.

:)

hideo kuze

hideo kuze

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

wow!
is this legit?
how much would you pay for one package?

I'm sure there are a LOT of backers that are not in US and would like to use something like this if it's legal and solves the customs issue.

If Obsidian could look into this... it would make possible for a LOT of backers to raise their pledges a bit more.

Edited by hideo kuze, 14 October 2012 - 04:01 PM.

mstark

mstark

Oblivious of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

wow!
is this legit?

It's not legit to declare a value lower than the actual value of the contents. You'll only run into problems if your package gets inspected.

Mloren

Mloren

Guttersnipe of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Any info on what the playing cards are made from? we amateur magicians would like to know if they are proper air cushion/air flow card or plastic? :)
The former is good for tricks, the later is not.

Parhelion13

Parhelion13

Ascendant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Playing cards, my one weakness...

Nice update, both the documentary and the cards were what I had asked for. Question is are the cards already included in any of the existing tiers? I did not see a mention of this.

Sounds like they're exclusively an add-on.

Edited by Parhelion13, 14 October 2012 - 04:09 PM.

Lasharus

Lasharus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
I sort of want to add to my own pledge to get the extras, but I paid through PayPal.

Do I just make a donation, or should I just wait 'till it ends and then note that I want additional package pieces?

Clammo

Clammo

Coffin Dodger of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
For those like myself wondering about VAT and import taxes, it was asked on the Kickstarter comments. Looks like it'll be less than we were expecting.

Ok here's what Feargus had to say about what value they are going to put for international shipping declarations.

QuiZZer on September 20
... I'm certain I'll end up upping my pledge again, that CE box is just soooo tempting...
Though how will you do with handle VAT charges for International shipping?
Will you put the "true" cost of the product as opposed to the donated amount as value?
If you do... I'll have to up my pledge =)
I'd love paying you more, not so keen on paying my government more
Answer -
Creator Obsidian Entertainment on September 20
@QuiZZer That box won't be sold at retail, so we will just be putting in our cost.

Edited by Clammo, 14 October 2012 - 04:12 PM.

• hideo kuze and JanJansen like this

Krios

Krios

Blessed of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Now that I think about it, seeing that we have more than 65K backers, if every one puts in the extra $10 for the playing cards, we will arrive at our final stretch goal of 3.5 million. Very tempted now to put in a bit more and we will see our second big city!

Hopper

Hopper

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I never thought about taxes either...
here's the thing, in Germany you have to go to the customs and pick up your package. They ask for a receipt/document with the selling price on it to calculate taxes.
How are we going to be able to prove the price? Will Obsidian include a receipt or send us one by mail?
This could be a bit difficult seeing as it is not a buy/sell transaction really. Does anyone have experience with this?
  • HumanFlesh+5 likes this

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3681 posts

wow!
is this legit?
how much would you pay for one package?

I'm sure there are a LOT of backers that are not in US and would like to use something like this if it's legal and solves the customs issue.

If Obsidian could look into this... it would make possible for a LOT of backers to raise their pledges a bit more.

You misunderstand the concept slightly - it's something you alone set up, for the sender it makes no difference in what they do. You sign up for an account at a mail forwarder (like the aforementioned viaddress, or one of many others such as shipito, comgateway and hopshopgo), they provide you with an address, which will be their warehouse in the US (ideally in a state where sales tax won't be charged) and receive the delivery on your behalf. As far as Obsidian are concerned, that's where you live. The forwarding company then sticks that in another box and sends it off to your real address for the cost of shipping (weight and volume based) plus their cut.

If you take this route, remember to take off the shipping part of your pledge from Kickstarter.

Generally I only use a forwarding service to get around delivery restrictions - many stores won't ship certain items, or indeed anything at all to Australia. But it's very rare to find the case where the forwarding will come out cheaper than the original vendor's shipping charge.

EDIT: Motivations to import in other countries vary of course - Australia has a very generous limit of $1000AUD before any tax/duty/charges are applied to imports. For those Brits who've never imported outside the EU before, my understanding is that the corresponding threshold is a mere 15GBP (40GBP for gifts). For any import valued at 15.01GBP and above, you're hit with VAT, plus a flat 8 quid admin fee. Above 135GBP and customs duties are also charged, though I don't know the detail or the rate - this may or may not be an issue for those pledging at at $250 tier and above depending on how the shipment value is stated.

Edited by Humanoid, 14 October 2012 - 04:30 PM.

• hideo kuze likes this

HumanFlesh+5

HumanFlesh+5

Landsknecht of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I never thought about taxes either...
here's the thing, in Germany you have to go to the customs and pick up your package. They ask for a receipt/document with the selling price on it to calculate taxes.
How are we going to be able to prove the price? Will Obsidian include a receipt or send us one by mail?
This could be a bit difficult seeing as it is not a buy/sell transaction really. Does anyone have experience with this?

want to know that as well...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project eternity, update 23, documentary, feargus urquhart, playing cards, reddit, ustream, wallpaper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users