Replaying Neverwinter Nights 2...

damage99

Make sure you continue the playthrough into Mask of the Betrayer, the game is incomplete without it and it's really good.

I, myself have never actually played Planescape. Not being able to play as a female has usually deterred me but I know I'm missing out, so I plan on giving it a try soon.

Oh, if that is the only thing keeping you from playing this game then you MUST play Planescape. This game is in so many ways better than any Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights game ever could hope to be. The story, the characters, the freaking places you'll get to. I still remember the "brothel of slating intellectual lusts" very fondly. One of the coolest ideas in the whole Forgotten Realms universe.

Oh I know, Obsidian gave me some of my fondest video game memories. I did watch a video of the game opening once, and had a rather shallow "That's who the main character is?! EW!" reaction to the Nameless One. Now that I'm older and wiser I won't be so foolish, but I do always get a bit thrown when an RPG doesn't let me fully create the character I'm supposed to be RP'ing.

I don't always mind playing a set character. But, the Nameless One is definitely off-putting. That is actually the game that I am currently playing. After it I plan on playing the Baldur's Gate series, the Icewind Dale series, and Neverwinter Nights 2. (As well as many games I have bought over the past couple years but never got around to.)

I get the idea, keeping yourself hyped around Project Eternity. Still, it's more Computer & Console content.

I just finished a replay of Mask of the Betrayer. Then Neverwinter Nights 2 OC right before. And I'm half playing Icewind Dale 1 with the intent to go to 2 (Sawyer was lead), then Temple of Elemental Evil (Tim Cain was on that one).

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've actually been posting tips on how to best play NWN2 (the first act, and good mods) over on reddit in the P:A section. The first act can really drag on, but there are things you can do to improve it. The late game is mostly detracted on by the need to re-buff after resting (which gets annoying fast), however there are mods that can fix that.

I recently learned how to switch out your main character mid-playthrough, which means that you could potentially make a save right after the first act, then just swap new characters into it every time you wanted to start a new game (if you set it up so that you had a save for the city watch faction and the thieves faction you'd basically have the only decision of any importance in the act covered - not that it makes much of a difference on gameplay in the other acts). Companion influence can be transitioned to the new character, but might not always reflect how you intend to proceed (you could tweak it via the console though to better reflect how you would have done it on that character). It's not a simple process, but it takes less time that playing through the first act.

I never did finish it the first time through so looking forward to the story.

What Obsidian game are YOU replaying?

Make sure you continue the playthrough into Mask of the Betrayer, the game is incomplete without it and it's really good.

I, myself have never actually played Planescape. Not being able to play as a female has usually deterred me but I know I'm missing out, so I plan on giving it a try soon.

I recently played through nwn2 again, but lost interest very early into motb. Not sure why, though getting my ass kicked by random tavern thugs after everything I went through in nwn2 did put me off.

I never got around to trying Alpha Protocol, the reviews may not have been great but I always wanted to see how the story played out.

IMO, it's worth it, especially at how cheap you can probably get it now.

Some of the better "Choice & Consequence" I've seen in a video game, making the replay value through the roof.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I was replaying the NWN 2 official campaign, which I like. Was planing to wrap it up with a run of MotB and then move on to the New Vegas Ultimate Edition, because I never played the four Fallout: NV DLC (who would just download a game or additional content, as long as they still come in boxes?)

But then came XCOM and now I have to save this world again from the alien menace.

Nwn2 at old owl well. I think right after that it gets good. If I remember right.

I've had NWN2 for nearly two years and I still haven't completed Act 1. I just played it a bit because of this thread and my progression is just before the Old Owl Well part. I hope it "gets good" at this point because I don't think I've ever played a more uninspiring game before. This crap is an embarrassment to gaming. I'd never let anyone catch me playing it because they'd probably think bad things.

• Like 1

Nwn2 at old owl well. I think right after that it gets good. If I remember right.

I've had NWN2 for nearly two years and I still haven't completed Act 1. I just played it a bit because of this thread and my progression is just before the Old Owl Well part. I hope it "gets good" at this point because I don't think I've ever played a more uninspiring game before. This crap is an embarrassment to gaming. I'd never let anyone catch me playing it because they'd probably think bad things.

I don't know if anybody around here is familiar with an illustrator named Michael Whelan (done a lot of fantasy and sci-fi illustration) but he once put it rather well on the horror stuff, that his test was to see if people chuckled when they saw it (paraphrased, don't remember the exact quote) then he had failed to illustrate horror (he did some Cthulhu stuff among other things). I think it safe to say that the "villain" of NWN2 failed that particular test very badly. Very hard not to giggle when you encounter him. A true face palm experience.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

NWN2, when I can get to the computer - Missus' playing 'The Witcher', she keeps swearing about some swamp. Amusing it is :).

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Actually NWN2 too. I only finished the OC once and never the expansions, even though I spent 6 years in multiplayer and toolset. Now I finally want to go straight from the start through both expansions... sadly, the OC bores me quite a bit, looking forward to starting MotB again afterwards (which made a much better impression on me back then).

I don't know if anybody around here is familiar with an illustrator named Michael Whelan (done a lot of fantasy and sci-fi illustration) but he once put it rather well on the horror stuff, that his test was to see if people chuckled when they saw it (paraphrased, don't remember the exact quote) then he had failed to illustrate horror (he did some Cthulhu stuff among other things). I think it safe to say that the "villain" of NWN2 failed that particular test very badly. Very hard not to giggle when you encounter him. A true face palm experience.

Well said. NWN2 villains feel like Scooby Doo characters and that actually still feels like too much credit given to NWN2. I progressed a bit more into the game and I just can't do it. I can't wade through this uninspiring drab game just to get to MOTB. I'm uninstalling it and I'll watch a "Let's Play" of MOTB.

Well said. NWN2 villains feel like Scooby Doo characters and that actually still feels like too much credit given to NWN2. I progressed a bit more into the game and I just can't do it. I can't wade through this uninspiring drab game just to get to MOTB. I'm uninstalling it and I'll watch a "Let's Play" of MOTB.

Ummm... why not start straight from MotB then? You get the XP to build your character and there's an item strip in the beginning anyway.

Actually NWN2 too. I only finished the OC once and never the expansions, even though I spent 6 years in multiplayer and toolset. Now I finally want to go straight from the start through both expansions... sadly, the OC bores me quite a bit, looking forward to starting MotB again afterwards (which made a much better impression on me back then).

If I were you, I'd read a plot summary and jump straight into Mask of the Betrayer. If you play through the OC at a rate of 2 or 3 hours a night, you will spend weeks playing the OC before you play Mask of the Betrayer. That is definitely not worth your time.

I remember deciding to dredge through the original NWN2 campaign the week or so before MotB came out. The terrible thing wasn't just running over the release date - oh no. It was that I got to the end boss fight for NWN2, and it bugged out. It wouldn't trigger the dialogue and scene to initiate the final combat. Made me quite mad. Then I played MotB, and wished I had spent the week previous doing something else entirely.